• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ive also got hat 1972 SUFC V BRFC letter.
On it also is 5 autographs...inc..Dave Smith,D.Spence..not sure why they are on it.
Think it was before their time

Sat 21st Feb 1987. The lads arriving at Rochdale. Ginger Lee prominent. Then Richard Cadette after scoring one of his two goals that day. We won 2-1 in our promotion season by finishing 3rd in Division 4. Richard Cadette scored an incredible 31 goals that season.
1443100500_91823c04e9_o.jpg
1442235731_1d38f4819d_o-300x198.jpg

Brian Lloyd played in goal for Southend between 1969-71 after signing for £10,000. A decent fee in those days. Went on to get 3 Welsh caps Against England, Scotland and Austria. Also scored a goal for his last League club Stockport.

79117.jpg

Brian Lloyd played in goal for Southend between 1969-71 after signing for £10,000. A decent fee in those days. Went on to get 3 Welsh caps Against England, Scotland and Austria. Also scored a goal for his last League club Stockport.

79117.jpg

Over the decades, we've had our fair share of decent keepers, ( apart from Mel Capleton IMO ).
Close decision, but Melvyn Cawston was my best one. Followed by Trevor Roberts ( RIP ) & Paul Sansome.
Also rated Adam federicic ( or what-ever his name was ) who we had on loan for a time.

79117.jpg

One of the worst goalkeepers to have played for the Blues in my lifetime.

79117.jpg
Worst goalkeeper we have ever had , how Southend got rid of Trevor Roberts in favour of Brian is a great Roots Hall mysteries

Prudhoe, Steele, and Keeley were all very poor .
Burridge was an exceptional loanee
I agree but Lloyd has to be the worst , and why did the club replace Trevor Roberts with him , very very strange .

79117.jpg
All I remember is the number of times he dropped the ball when claiming a cross...and then the ball in the back of the net
Not a favourite

Not the best I will agree but a hell of a nice bloke. Used to speak to him regularly. Lacked confidence.

I agree but Lloyd has to be the worst , and why did the club replace Trevor Roberts with him , very very strange .

That’s how Trevor first discovered his cancer.

When he transferred to Cambridge he had a medical for the teaching job he had alongside his football career.

He was a wonderful man and player.

Absolutely tragic.

D.Bellotti (not sure if i have spelt his name correctly),he was not bad either,but not as good as Merv.C

I took penalties against Trevor Roberts & Brian Lloyd it was a penalty prize held at half time.
I have the programme somewhere. Both men were really nice to us kids. I wore Eddie Claytons shirt it was massive I was 11!

Talking of tough tackling midfielders came across this article on DAVE ELLIOT never knew the reason why he ended up at Southend

There is nothing like a mystery to stir the blood as well as launch wild theories as to what really happened. The imagination runs amok as limited pieces of information take on sinister proportions in the minds of theorists. Football, so beloved by so many, is a ready vechicle for public speculation. A big club like Newcastle United, followed slavishly by 50,000 and more fanatics, is the perfect breeding ground for public debate in pubs and clubs across the Geordie landscape. So it was in April 1968 as United were approaching their finest hour, the winning of a European trophy for the first and only time. Joe Harvey had gambled to reshape his team, killing the threat of relegation and replacing it with European qualification in only 12 months. To do so Harvey sold his biggest asset Alan Suddick and used the £60,000 to sign three players - Dave Elliott, John McNamee and Tommy Robson. Elliott, a young man who had honed his skills with Gateshead as a schoolkid and then Sunderland, was a chunky, driving player with power and presence. Just what Harvey needed at the time. However, there was a problem, a huge problem and it unexpectedly surfaced one Saturday morning when United were in London to play West Ham. As usual on the morning of a match, the players went out for a stroll to kill time. Elliott disappeared with his room-mate Ollie Burton and skipper Jim Iley while I stayed in the hotel lounge having a coffee with McNamee. Harvey, coach Ron Lewin and director Fenton Braithwaite were at the next table. After a while United’s manager was paged and told he was wanted on the phone. He came back looking deathly white to say Elliott had collapsed in the street and been rushed to hospital. All hell was let loose as Harvey and Braithwaite dashed off to Charing Cross Hospital and I grabbed a phone to contact my office. That night Dave’s sudden collapse in a London street and the fact he was detained in hospital was splashed on the front page of the Chron and wild stories were being told in every pub on Tyneside. I have always felt there is a distinct advantage in hacks travelling overnight with the team and, whenever possible, staying in the same hotel. It can produce devastating results as it did here. Lurid tales of fighting among players circulated for weeks afterwards with people flatly refusing to accept it was all due to the very personal physical problems of one individual and nought else. The whisper I heard in due course was Elliott had taken a fit. The trouble was, of course, both a confused club and its players remained tight-lipped – which only fuelled the speculation. It was, perhaps, understandable in the immediate aftermath given we are not talking of anything untoward, but equally of something which could seriously jeopardise his playing career. Under such circumstances, Dave deserved privacy and respect. However, sadly, all was not over. The following season, with United storming towards European Fairs Cup glory, it happened again – and again Ollie was involved. We were in Glasgow for a huge semi-final first-leg match against Rangers. Burton and Elliott decided to take the air when, once more, Dave collapsed on the pavement. Ollie sprinted back to the team hotel and the club doctor David Salkeld rushed out to look after Dave, who was put to bed in the same room as Burton. When a top footballer dramatically collapses not once but twice in the street of great cities on the day of combat it naturally causes a tidal wave of panic. Harvey decided he could not play Burton in such a massive match, given his state of mind and how he had reacted on the field the last time it happened in London – and that meant a dramatic call up for McNamee. We now had another story on our hands. McNamee could bend iron bars with his teeth. He had been hounded out of Scotland because of his disciplinary record and here he was going back for a European semi-final. Not only that but he was a former Celt about to face the auld enemy. Big Mac, never one to remain shyly tight-lipped, announced to the Scottish Press he could play Colin Stein, Rangers illustrious centre-forward, “standing on one leg”. Considering 75,580 packed into Ibrox McNamee could have made a dirty big rod to beat himself but instead he was truly magnificent, United earned themselves a 0-0 draw and one foot was already in Budapest for the final. The whole unfortunate double episode with Elliott was only cleared up several years later when, coming up to Tyneside from his Newport home for a Fairs Cup reunion, Dave sat with me reliving his nightmare. He had suffered two epileptic fits for the first time in his life but United in their wisdom decided the party line should be he had only fainted. All was swept under a very big carpet. Naturally, it had left Elliott feeling aggrieved, something which has lived with him ever since. Today, he would have had the full support of his club. Back then United simply could not get him off their books quick enough. He was sold to Southend United. Elliott still takes tablets to control his epilepsy yet he continued with his football career. Only five times in his life has he suffered from a fit, only once when with Southend. Football thankfully has moved out of the dark ages since Dave Elliott

Talking of tough tackling midfielders came across this article on DAVE ELLIOT never knew the reason why he ended up at Southend

There is nothing like a mystery to stir the blood as well as launch wild theories as to what really happened. The imagination runs amok as limited pieces of information take on sinister proportions in the minds of theorists. Football, so beloved by so many, is a ready vechicle for public speculation. A big club like Newcastle United, followed slavishly by 50,000 and more fanatics, is the perfect breeding ground for public debate in pubs and clubs across the Geordie landscape. So it was in April 1968 as United were approaching their finest hour, the winning of a European trophy for the first and only time. Joe Harvey had gambled to reshape his team, killing the threat of relegation and replacing it with European qualification in only 12 months. To do so Harvey sold his biggest asset Alan Suddick and used the £60,000 to sign three players - Dave Elliott, John McNamee and Tommy Robson. Elliott, a young man who had honed his skills with Gateshead as a schoolkid and then Sunderland, was a chunky, driving player with power and presence. Just what Harvey needed at the time. However, there was a problem, a huge problem and it unexpectedly surfaced one Saturday morning when United were in London to play West Ham. As usual on the morning of a match, the players went out for a stroll to kill time. Elliott disappeared with his room-mate Ollie Burton and skipper Jim Iley while I stayed in the hotel lounge having a coffee with McNamee. Harvey, coach Ron Lewin and director Fenton Braithwaite were at the next table. After a while United’s manager was paged and told he was wanted on the phone. He came back looking deathly white to say Elliott had collapsed in the street and been rushed to hospital. All hell was let loose as Harvey and Braithwaite dashed off to Charing Cross Hospital and I grabbed a phone to contact my office. That night Dave’s sudden collapse in a London street and the fact he was detained in hospital was splashed on the front page of the Chron and wild stories were being told in every pub on Tyneside. I have always felt there is a distinct advantage in hacks travelling overnight with the team and, whenever possible, staying in the same hotel. It can produce devastating results as it did here. Lurid tales of fighting among players circulated for weeks afterwards with people flatly refusing to accept it was all due to the very personal physical problems of one individual and nought else. The whisper I heard in due course was Elliott had taken a fit. The trouble was, of course, both a confused club and its players remained tight-lipped – which only fuelled the speculation. It was, perhaps, understandable in the immediate aftermath given we are not talking of anything untoward, but equally of something which could seriously jeopardise his playing career. Under such circumstances, Dave deserved privacy and respect. However, sadly, all was not over. The following season, with United storming towards European Fairs Cup glory, it happened again – and again Ollie was involved. We were in Glasgow for a huge semi-final first-leg match against Rangers. Burton and Elliott decided to take the air when, once more, Dave collapsed on the pavement. Ollie sprinted back to the team hotel and the club doctor David Salkeld rushed out to look after Dave, who was put to bed in the same room as Burton. When a top footballer dramatically collapses not once but twice in the street of great cities on the day of combat it naturally causes a tidal wave of panic. Harvey decided he could not play Burton in such a massive match, given his state of mind and how he had reacted on the field the last time it happened in London – and that meant a dramatic call up for McNamee. We now had another story on our hands. McNamee could bend iron bars with his teeth. He had been hounded out of Scotland because of his disciplinary record and here he was going back for a European semi-final. Not only that but he was a former Celt about to face the auld enemy. Big Mac, never one to remain shyly tight-lipped, announced to the Scottish Press he could play Colin Stein, Rangers illustrious centre-forward, “standing on one leg”. Considering 75,580 packed into Ibrox McNamee could have made a dirty big rod to beat himself but instead he was truly magnificent, United earned themselves a 0-0 draw and one foot was already in Budapest for the final. The whole unfortunate double episode with Elliott was only cleared up several years later when, coming up to Tyneside from his Newport home for a Fairs Cup reunion, Dave sat with me reliving his nightmare. He had suffered two epileptic fits for the first time in his life but United in their wisdom decided the party line should be he had only fainted. All was swept under a very big carpet. Naturally, it had left Elliott feeling aggrieved, something which has lived with him ever since. Today, he would have had the full support of his club. Back then United simply could not get him off their books quick enough. He was sold to Southend United. Elliott still takes tablets to control his epilepsy yet he continued with his football career. Only five times in his life has he suffered from a fit, only once when with Southend. Football thankfully has moved out of the dark ages since Dave Elliott

One of my favourites.

Not tough tackling but cultured and strong with an excellent range of passing.

Would hugely improve our midfield today.

One of my favourites.

Not tough tackling but cultured and strong with an excellent range of passing.

Would hugely improve our midfield today.
Dave was the second signing from Newcastle , Terry Johnson had arrived the day before , the next signing from Newcastle was Chris Guthrie and then Willie Coulson , all four of them played together in the Southend team in the 1974/75 season .

We also had Dave Young, Alan Foggon and none other than Dave Smith from around that era tread the path from Geordie land to the Essex sunshine resort
View attachment 7308

Of course not forgetting Gary Moore from Sunderland (via Grimsby) Alan Moody from Middlesborough, Joe Jacques and Brian Albeson from Darlington.. Colin Morris was born in Blyth, Derrick Parker in Wallsend

None of them would be able to afford to move South these days ....

Back