• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A great photo. Don't know the game, but it was the Butka kit from 1978-80. Mervyn Cawston of course.
D19pR6lWkAEZITb.jpg

In memory of the late Sid Broomfield, the man that built Roots Hall.

Roots Hall in 1953 before the building of the ground

Roots Hall 1954.jpg
Looking from the back of what is to become the South Bank towards the West Stand

Roots Hall1.jpg
Surveying the site after the rubbish has been cleared again from the South Bank towards the West Stand

Roots Hall2.jpg
Surveying the site after the rubbish has been cleared again from the South Bank towards the West Stand

The following pictures were taken six weeks before the opening game against Norwich City on the 20th August 1955 which Southend United won 3-1 with goals from McCrory, Hollis, and Dowsett in front of 17,700 supporters.

Roots Hall North Bank 1955 B.W.jpg
Building the North Bank Stand

Roots Hall Main Stand 1955 B.W.jpg
The Main Stand starts to take shape

Roots Hall from South Bank towards Main Stand 1955 B.W.jpg
View across the pitch from the back of the South Bank towards the New Main Stand

Roots Hall West Stand Steps 1955 B.W.jpg
Laying the steps and terracing of the West Stand

Roots Hall  West Sidw.jpg
Laying the steps and terracing of the West Stand

SOUTHEND-UNITED-v-Norwich-City-20th-August-1955.jpg
Southend United v Norwich City Programme 20th August 1955

Southend United v Norwich City.jpg
Play during opening game Southend United v Norwich City 20th August 1955

I know I have posted up some of these before but some are new, I thought it would be nice to put them together.

Agree with the earlier posts re Northern players coming down....but didn't David Webb have a M25 policy with players...no home sickness etc, etc...:Unsure:

He did indeed and it worked well whereas Alan Little brought lots of players down that he had had at York and that didn't.

Nice one Ronnie .

That's a great watch Simon. Brett Angell, Ricky Otto, Chris Powell, Barry Fry. We were dreaming of being in the Premiership and 3rd in the table when Barry Fry left. Then fell away. I always wonder if we would have got there if he stayed, as he was performing miracles at Southend. I was told by an ex player that the players loved him, so he got the very best out of them.

Last edited:
That's a great watch Simon. Brett Angell, Ricky Otto, Chris Powell, Barry Fry. We were dreaming of being in the Premiership and 3rd in the table when Barry Fry left. Then fell away. I always wonder if we would have got there if he stayed, as he was performing miracles at Southend. I was told by an ex player that the players loved him, so he got the very best out of them.
Then kicked the supporters in the between the legs .

Then kicked the supporters in the between the legs .

Oh without doubt. Mind you, he always blames his assistants Stein and Howells, saying they wanted to go to the much bigger club and on a lot more money. They would go on about it everyday after training. Then off course when it went pear, he said he wished he had stayed at Southend. It was fun while it lasted tho. We did get some compensation tho. Just found this.

PROBLEMS continued to pile up for Birmingham City last night when a disciplinary commission punished them to the tune of pounds 130,000 - the highest total ever imposed by the Football League - for 'poaching' the Southend manager, Barry Fry, his assistant, Edwin Stein, and the player-coach, David Howell.

Birmingham, found guilty after a 12-hour hearing in London on Wednesday, were fined pounds 55,000 for making illegal approaches to the three and ordered to pay pounds 75,000 in compensation to Southend. The previous record penalty was the pounds 105,000 fine levied from Chelsea for making illegal payments to players in 1991.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK, post: 2146121,

PROBLEMS continued to pile up for Birmingham City last night when a disciplinary commission punished them to the tune of pounds 130,000 - the highest total ever imposed by the Football League - for 'poaching' the Southend manager, Barry Fry, his assistant, Edwin Stein, and the player-coach, David Howell.

Birmingham, found guilty after a 12-hour hearing in London on Wednesday, were fined pounds 55,000 for making illegal approaches to the three and ordered to pay pounds 75,000 in compensation to Southend..[/QUOTE]

Cant recall Vic Jobson or Evening Echo ever mentioning/reporting this?

[QUOTE="THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK, post: 2146121,

Birmingham, found guilty after a 12-hour hearing in London on Wednesday, were fined pounds 55,000 for making illegal approaches to the three and ordered to pay pounds 75,000 in compensation to Southend..

Cant recall Vic Jobson or Evening Echo ever mentioning/reporting this?[/QUOTE]

No, nor can I. I was surprised when I read that. That's why I said ''We did get some compensation tho''.

Oh without doubt. Mind you, he always blames his assistants Stein and Howells, saying they wanted to go to the much bigger club and on a lot more money. They would go on about it everyday after training. Then off course when it went pear, he said he wished he had stayed at Southend. It was fun while it lasted tho. We did get some compensation tho. Just found this.

Birmingham, found guilty after a 12-hour hearing in London on Wednesday, were fined pounds 55,000 for making illegal approaches to the three and ordered to pay pounds 75,000 in compensation to Southend. The previous record penalty was the pounds 105,000 fine levied from Chelsea for making illegal payments to players in 1991.

Karen Brady mentions this case in a bit of detail in her book

Just found this little gem. Southend fans, sometime between 1976-80 by the scarves. Extremely good quality for the day. If you keep clicking play then pause every second, then you can pick out many faces. Would be great if a zoner spotted themselves on there. At 41:21 you will see Southend on a scarf.

Just found this little gem. Southend fans, sometime between 1976-80 by the scarves. Extremely good quality for the day. If you keep clicking play then pause every second, then you can pick out many faces. Would be great if a zoner spotted themselves on there. At 41:21 you will see Southend on a scarf.

I guessing about 78/79, as I had the exact same scarf as someone in that clip. Its the one being held up on about 30 seconds.

Back