• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

1968/69 Season.

kittle2.jpeg

a request - my dads company CN Metals had a sign in the south east corner in the mid 80s. Ive not seen a pic of it for ages - has anyone got a photo of that area/years?

The paragraph mentions that we changed our name from Athletic to United in 1906, 16 years after being formed.

We didn't. Companies House shows us as being founded in 1906. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00089767

According to Peter Miles and Dave Goody's Official History, Southend Athletic was a different club - a local amateur club. Southend United was formed in 1906 as a professional club with the intention of competing in the Southern League.

I think Southend Athletic limped up for a few more years after that in the more ambitious professional club's shadow before folding.

^ Favourite kit right there!

Just found this on a memories page on FB, don't know if it's already been on here - the old South Bank.

67218290_10214506365036506_5874139780471586816_n.jpg

^ Favourite kit right there!

Just found this on a memories page on FB, don't know if it's already been on here - the old South Bank.

67218290_10214506365036506_5874139780471586816_n.jpg
As a boy I lent on the second barrier to the left behind the goal. I stood there most home games until 1972/3 when I moved to the North Bank. I even stood there when we held the rock festival in 76. My finest memory was Billy Bests goal against Aston Villa in 71...over 16,000 in the ground that day!

Lou Costello Testimonial. Including, Bobby Moore, Martin Peters, Alan Mullery and John Bond(Father of Kevin Bond).

With Maurice Key as referee. One of the better assessors back in the days when I was being assessed - unlike most of his counterparts, especially the one with the same name as Threadgold's replacement.

As a boy I lent on the second barrier to the left behind the goal. I stood there most home games until 1972/3 when I moved to the North Bank. I even stood there when we held the rock festival in 76. My finest memory was Billy Bests goal against Aston Villa in 71...over 16,000 in the ground that day!
M
In amongst the Villa fans then

Back