• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yes, here on page 18.
I still want to know who's got this? I would repair and paint it.
Roots%2BHall%2B7.JPG
Lou Costello Testimonial. Including, Bobby Moore, Martin Peters, Alan Mullery and John Bond(Father of Kevin Bond).

D4TcCvuWwAEN9Bm.jpg:large
Singer Colin Blunstones Uncle Frank no 11 for Select X1 ,

Lou Costello Testimonial. Including, Bobby Moore, Martin Peters, Alan Mullery and John Bond(Father of Kevin Bond).

D4TcCvuWwAEN9Bm.jpg:large

The full back are interesting:

Jim Fryatt at right back - Centre forward who we tried to convert to a right back. He joined us just before his 20th birthday in 1960 and left for Bradford PA in 1963 when in April 64 he scored a goal against Tranmere a whole 3 seconds quicker than Freddie managed against Swansea. I can remember the team changes being greeted with boos when it was announced he was starting one game probably in 1963. However, he did score 24 goals in 61 league games for us- 10 of which were at right back. He finished with 189 career league goals and another 16 in USA.

Like all good ex strikers he regularly scored against us.

Who knows anything about Pettigrew?
Never a player for us apart from that game - I vaguely recollect he was a Scottish trialist and may have played in glasses - honest.

Billy Wall on the right wing - the season before our wingers for a number of games were Billy Wall and Gordon Nutt - the providers of the Wall Nutt whipped in cross...…………….

When we switched sites, the youtube video's stopped working on this thread. I have re done quite a few that I posted in the early pages, and got them working. Bear with me, and I will try and do all of mine over the next few weeks. It's time consuming. If anyone else put up a youtube video, they will have to edit and fix, if they want to of course. A couple so far are no longer available, so couldn't fix. Updated up to page 50 so far. There's some fantastic stuff and memories if anyone hasn't seen them.

Last edited:
Untitled-1.jpg

Painful experience acquainted two prominent names of the post-war era in English football, Jimmy Hill and Ron Greenwood, with the qualities which brought Frank Dudley a highly respectable 120 goals in 295 Football League appearances in an 11-year career that led him from his home-town team, Southend United, via Leeds United, Southampton and Cardiff City, to Brentford.

The setting was a Second Division fixture at Brentford's Griffin Park ground on Christmas Day, 1951. Dudley was playing for Southampton with the score 1-1 when he took possession on the wing. Cutting inside he was faced by Greenwood – later to manage England – who stood off and tried to stall him rather than moving into the tackle and potentially allowing Dudley to pick out a colleague who had joined the counter-attack.

The angle was not conducive to shooting, but Dudley, who Hill – the future players' union leader, manager and TV pundit –described in his autobiography as "pacy, strong and gangly with a penchant for the unexpected", somehow squeezed the ball past the goalkeeper for Southampton's winner. Brentford's manager, Jack Gibbons, denounced Greenwood so vehemently in the dressing-room that he requested a transfer. Hill joined him on the list "out of loyalty and a sense of justice".

Dudley, who scored numerous headed goals and possessed a fierce shot, could play inside-forward, centre-forward or on either flank. He twice won the Professional Footballers' Sprint and secured a place in football's annals for a unique feat in the 1953-54 season. His first three goals were not scored for three different clubs in different divisions, Southampton (Third Division South), Cardiff (First) and Brentford (Second).

At the age of 15 Dudley had stood only 5ft 4in. By the time his RAF service ended and he joined Southend towards the end of their war-time league programme, in 1945, he had shot up to 5ft 11in and developed a turn of pace befitting his club's domicile at the greyhound stadium where they played before moving to Roots Hall. Early in 1949-50, after 33 goals in 88 appearances, he was transferred to Leeds in an exchange deal which saw Albert Wakefield join Southend and Dudley's weekly wage soar from £7 to £12 plus bonuses. Another newcomer settling into Major Frank Buckley's team, 17-year-old John Charles, later commanded a world-record fee of £65,000 and became a prolific marksman for Leeds and Juventus. However, the Welshman was then a centre-half, and Dudley headed the club's Second Division scoring chart with 12 goals in his first season.

He also played a stirring part in Leeds' progress to the last eight of the FA Cup that season, the furthest they had ever ventured, by scoring four times in a run that ended at Highbury against the eventual winners, Arsenal. Midway through the following season, after barely 18 months at Elland Road, he had contributed a further 11 goals when Buckley swapped him for Southampton's Ernie Stevenson. Dudley signed for the Saints on a Leeds-London train.

His consistent scoring record continued at The Dell, where he struck 32 times in 67 matches, although 1952-53 brought fluctuating fortunes. Despite being stricken with appendicitis at one point, he compiled 14 goals from 23 games, 12 coming in a mid-season spree including hat-tricks against Doncaster Rovers and Fulham. Yet Southampton were relegated for the first time and Dudley endured a rare off-night in a fifth-round home defeat by Blackpool in an FA Cup replay. Years later, Stanley Matthews told him, only half-jokingly, that the "Matthews final" would never have happened if he had been his customary ruthless self.

A third exchange deal, sending him to Cardiff with Bobby McLaughlin going the opposite way, saw Dudley enter the First Division for the only time in September 1953. Although he marked his arrival with a goal, he was plagued by knee problems. After only four months and as many matches the Brentford manager Bill Dodgin Snr signed him and saw to it his cartilages were removed. Again he maintained an impressive ratio of goals (32) to games (72), later saying that Brentford – who let him travel from Southend and train with his first club – was where he was happiest.

Leaving the professional game in 1956, Dudley played part-time for Folkestone Town. Between 1961 and '65 he coached the youth team at Southend, one of whose players, John Russell, married his daughter, Sue. In a 25-year career in local government he rose to chief officer but kept up his interest in football, becoming a shareholder and season-ticket holder at Roots Hall. A quiet, modest man who kept a programme and report from every match he played, he spent his final years in a nursing home suffering from the brittle-bone disease osteoporosis.

For back in May 1991, the Shrimpers triumphed 1-0 at Gigg Lane, thanks to a late, legendary goal from Ian Benjamin, to secure promotion into the second flight of English football for the first time in their 85 year history.

Twenty four years later, the goal is still fondly remembered and often chanted about by the Blues faithful.

And it is a moment Benjamin still vividly remembers too.

“I remember everything about it,” said the former Shrimpers striker.

“David Martin won a header from a goal kick and Andy Ansah put the ball into me. A few minutes before Andy had put a cross in and I had gone into the box because we were down to 10 men after Pat Scully was sent off.

“I immediately regretted not making the run so when Andy next got the ball I went in to the box and got the ball with my back to goal which was one of my strengths.

“What followed after that was just instinct to be honest but to see the shot hit the back of the net was a fantastic feeling.

“I remember seeing the Southend fans going wild and I’m still very proud to have been part of that team and what we managed to achieve that day.

“I have to confess that I do still watch it on YouTube quite often too and it’s nice to show a few people as well just to prove I did actually once play football!”

But while Blues will be enjoying their own sense of nostalgia tomorrow, Benjamin enjoyed his last weekend as he returned to Gigg Lane for the first time since netting arguably the most popular goal in Southend’s history.

Benjamin, who netted 38 times in 139 games for the Shrimpers between 1990 and 1992, now often co commentates on Northampton Town’s matches for BBC Radio.

And it was in that role he headed back to the Shakers.

“It certainly brought back a lot of good memories and I even sent a picture of the ground to a Southend fan I’m still in touch with,” said Benjamin, 53.

“It was a fantastic time to be at the club, we were very successful and we were a real team too.

“We used to play on Friday nights and then about 20 of us would all head out together because of how close we were.

“We all worked hard, because if you didn’t then David Webb would literally drag you off and we had some very talented players too.

“It was a successful time and when we went up we were beating teams like Sunderland, Blackburn, Derby and Newcastle.

“But that day at Bury was something very special because it meant an awful lot to so many people and I don’t think anyone who was there will ever forget it.”

Derby v Southend, League Cup 2nd leg, 1987.

I was pleasantly surprised to find this on YouTube, and interested to see our former assistant manager come on as a sub for Derby!

Here's the link:

Derby v Southend, League Cup 2nd leg, 1987.

I was pleasantly surprised to find this on YouTube, and interested to see our former assistant manager come on as a sub for Derby!

Here's the link:

How times change. Even when Roy leaves a foot in on Shilton a couple of times he doesn't make a fuss.

The very last few seconds they show a few from behind the goal....Check out the mullet.

OK, it's on the SUEPA FB and Twitter pages as we've just signed him as our 202nd member, but I thought I'd put the pic here too to see if you can help ID the SUFC74/75 season folk who are greeting our old US Keeper Alan Mayers (who had nine succesful reserve games for us and even scored in one but in the end his team (Baltimore) wouldn't release him to us.

The second left is clearly Peter Stringfellow:Smile:

Possiblities are Lamb, Horsfall and Hadley, but would be good to get a definitive 'left to right' on this.

Over to you ....Southend United Greetings Alan 1974 (3).jpg

Which ever mod deleted all the Bury photo's. Could you please give a reason? Can PM if you wish it to be private. Thank you.
Firstly, it wasn't me, and I'm not sure anyone else has. One of the other mods with more tech expertise may be able to help.

Just checked TSNB and there appears to be no history of your post being edited or anything being deleted from it. Could you post them up again?

OK, it's on the SUEPA FB and Twitter pages as we've just signed him as our 202nd member, but I thought I'd put the pic here too to see if you can help ID the SUFC74/75 season folk who are greeting our old US Keeper Alan Mayers (who had nine succesful reserve games for us and even scored in one but in the end his team (Baltimore) wouldn't release him to us.

The second left is clearly Peter Stringfellow:Smile:

Possiblities are Lamb, Horsfall and Hadley, but would be good to get a definitive 'left to right' on this.

Over to you ....View attachment 8485
Definitely Steve "chopper" Lamb; probably Tommy Horsfall although by 1974/75 he had finished his playing career at Southend; far right I believe is Bob Worthington.

Back