• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you mean Dave Axcell? he did live in Little Wakering Road back in the day just past the Castle public house not far from where my Mum & Dad lived and even closer to my brother. I also remember back in the 80's he refereed Bohemians Praha in a UEFA Cup match and gave me the programme from it. Not sure if he is still around, maybe Mick will know but I did use to seen him in ASDA at Shoebury in the last few years.

That's the chap, It was Andy D'Urso who was from Billericay, please forgive me , its my age, I am almost half way to Cricko....

Francis Charles Thomas Cotton (The Goalkeeper in the 1906-07 team pic) was our goalkeeper.

Cotton played for Sheppey United, Reading, West Ham, Liverpool, and then West Ham again before signing for Southend United upon the club's formation in 1906.

Cotton played in nearly every game for four season's 1906-10 missing only one game.

Tragically, he contracted Bright's disease. After a five-week illness, he died on 3 January 1910.

The final Southern Football League 1906/07 Table which Southend United came top in their first season since forming in 1906.

Unfortunately, at that time there was no automatic promotion or relegation between Division Two and Division One back in those days, Southend had to apply for election alongside the two bottom First Division teams who were applying for re-election; Southend were unsuccessful as the bottom two clubs retained their places, so Southend United stayed in Division Two for the following season.

Southern League.jpg

Southend won the title again the following year (1907/08) in style, and this time, with more places available after two clubs had joined the Football League from Division One, they were elected to Division One.

This was the club's first ever promotion and the following season (1908/09) was the first time the club had played in Division One.

1907.jpg

In 1910–11, the Southern League had adopted automatic promotion and relegation.

It's funny. I always think of Wycombe Wanderers as a relatively new club for some reason.

Here are the tables from our first ever season 1906/07 in the Southern League Division 2 through to our final season in the Southern League Division 1 which was the 1919-20 season.

We then joined the Football League in Division four for the 1920/21 season as a full member.

Division 2 1906-07.jpg

Division 2 1907-08.jpg

Division 1 1908-09.jpg

Division 1 1909-10.jpg

Division 1 1910-11.jpg

Division 2 1911-12.jpg

Division 2 1912-13.jpg

Divsion 1 1913-14.jpg

Division 1 1914-15.jpg

Division 1 1919-20.jpg

Christmas Day 25th December 1908

Christmas Day Football - Forget Boxing Day matches as we would have them today.

In 1908 Southend United spent their Christmas morning playing Portsmouth at the original and first Roots Hall, a large crowd turned up to watch the game which had plenty of goals unfortunately not to benefit the Blues as Portsmouth went on to win 2-6.

The image below shows the match in progress.

Roots Hall 1908 Portsmouth 2  6 Christmas Day.jpg

The Start of Southend United Football Club

The Beginning

On the 19th May 1906 the initial meeting chaired by Oliver Trigg was held in the Blue Boar Public House to start a new professional football club.

As reported in the Southend Standard on the 24th May 1906, the club were originally going to be called "Prittlewell United" but changed the name to "Southend United".

Below is the article that appeared in the Southend Standard on the 24th May 1906.

The Southend Standard 24th May 1906 1.jpg
The Southend Standard 24th May 1906 2.jpg
Public Meeting held on the 27th June 1906 held at the Masonic Hall, Southend, regarding the launch of the professional club Southend United Football Club.

Here are the minutes of this meeting as reported in the Southend Standard on the 5th July 1906.

The Southend Standard 5th July 1906 1.jpg
The Southend Standard 5th July 1906 2 - Copy.jpg
The Southend Standard 5th July 1906 3 - Copy.jpg
The Southend Standard 5th July 1906 4 - Copy.jpg
Report that appeared in the Southend Standard on the 30th August 1906 regarding the intensions and prospects of Southend United Football Club after its full prospectus was issued.
The Southend Standard 30th August 1906 1.png
The Southend Standard 30th August 1906 2.jpg
The Southend Standard 30th August 1906 3.jpg
First Matches

25th August 1906, First Match: “A” Team 0 “B” Team 4, a practice match which attracted 850 people.

1st September 1906, First Competitive Match , a 1-0 defeat at home to Swindon Reserves. Roots Hall packed with 4,000. spectators.

And so it all began...

Based on all the previous posts, I have added names to the original photo of the first ever Southend United Football team pic.

It would be nice if we could put first names to all the team members, any ideas?

Southend United 1906-07.jpg

Edited and updated with more full names, just B. Cotgrove to go.

Last edited:
Do you mean Dave Axcell? he did live in Little Wakering Road back in the day just past the Castle public house not far from where my Mum & Dad lived and even closer to my brother. I also remember back in the 80's he refereed Bohemians Praha in a UEFA Cup match and gave me the programme from it. Not sure if he is still around, maybe Mick will know but I did use to seen him in ASDA at Shoebury in the last few years.

I am a few days behind here but a couple of points

I seem to remember Dave Axcell playing in Southend Minor League? before he took up refereeing as am sure we met a few times in one or other of those wooden sheds we used to change in around the Borough !!

Also am in Ireland seems like for ever now but the maternal side of my Family all come from Barling or Little Wakering and have a name outside the tent we live in "BARLING MAGNA"

As is 'Bridge' (mine!). My Great Uncle Jackie played for us for 4-5 years in the 50's.

Jackie Bridge born Monday 30th May 1932 in Great Wakering

He joined Southend United as a Junior 1st August 1950

Jackie played in 56 games for us scoring 3 goals.

He left SUFC on 1st July 1956 and moved to Gravesend & Northfleet which in 2007 became Ebbsfleet United.

Christmas Day 25th December 1908

Christmas Day Football - Forget Boxing Day matches as we would have them today.

In 1908 Southend United spent their Christmas morning playing Portsmouth at the original and first Roots Hall, a large crowd turned up to watch the game which had plenty of goals unfortunately not to benefit the Blues as Portsmouth went on to win 2-6.

The image below shows the match in progress.

View attachment 10498

Its obvious from that picture why we lost. A keeper who doesn't command his penalty area. Hope he was moved on in January.

Danny Greaves scoring at Chesterfield in 1981-82 (I was behind that goal that day) :-

As was I! Caught the train up from uni in Plymouth for a little day trip. Some odd folk (me aside!) used to frequent those Saturday trains up from the West Country where they regularly went in zombie like fashion to follow their team pop north. Man City, WBA, Sheffield Weds etc season ticket holders used to make the regular journey from their cornish homes spending all day on BR's finest railway stock for the challenge of seeing their team and getting back home that same day.

Remember it well. In the second half we moved around to the side as there was terracing that went around from that end and along the side where the cameras were. We went there as, obviously, we were kicking towards the far end in the second half.

I covered a lot of games that season by train - using the old Persil vouchers (remember them!) - The rest I went on the Supreme Coaches run by Phil Esdaile. All coach drivers had an obligatory teddy boy haircut back then, of course!

Just spotted this, sorry. He was certainly around a year or so ago and I understand he plays a bit of bowls.

He was a former proof reader at the Echo (I don't think he was ever replaced !!).

His biggest claim to fame, he'd happily do without. He was one of the Linesmen at Hillsborough on that tragic, fateful day.

Last edited:
Remember it well. In the second half we moved around to the side as there was terracing that went around from that end and along the side where the cameras were. We went there as, obviously, we were kicking towards the far end in the second half.

I covered a lot of games that season by train - using the old Persil vouchers (remember them!) - The rest I went on the Supreme Coaches run by Phil Esdaile. All coach drivers had an obligatory teddy boy haircut back then, of course!

You forgot to add they also wore those thin blazers in cinema mauve with dandruff on the shoulders.

My first away trips beyond the local ones were on the Phil Esdaile coaches. Life membership cost me £5......I wonder if he would send me a new ID card as I lost the last one about 36 years ago.

Back