• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

And this.
FROM AN ARTICLE BY HOWARD SOUTHWOOD, PUBLISHED IN THE SOUTHEND PROGRAMME 23RD SEPTEMBER 1986
TORRENTIAL rain turned the Roots Hall pitch into something closely resembling a ploughed field, water lay in huge pools all over the surface. Fans and officials were amazed that referee Mr. E. Crawford from Doncaster gave the thumbs up to a pitch which hardly looked Iikely to become the setting for one of the most gripping Cup clashes ever seen in the town. ·
…The match turned into an epic one which is still talked about when long standing Southend fans meet in the pub.
…A then record 29,500 people packed into the ground like sardines and witnessed one of the most amazing goalkeeping displays of all time. City’s former German Paratrooper Bert Trautmann chose that unlikely setting to turn in what he later described as “possibly the finest performance” of his career, no Blues fan present would argue with that. He twisted and dived to keep out a more or less incessant barrage of shots and headers, the most memorable being a save from a Roy Hollis shot which had goal stamped all over it.
lt seemed doubly cruel that the 23rd minute goal which eventually beat Southend was one of the softest seen at the ground before or since. Little Joe Hayes stabbed the ball goalwards through the sticky mud. Harry Threadgold had it covered until it struck full-back Arthur Williamson and trickled over the line.
Hardly a goal in keeping with the pulsating action which kept supporters enthralled for 90 nail-biting minutes, …City’s Welsh International Roy Paul said afterwards: “This was the toughest match so far for me. City will never have a tougher game either in Cup or League. These Southend boys gave everything they had in the second half and then kept coming.”
The then Southend boss Harry Warren told Pressmen: “Our boys fought magnificently. I am very proud of them. Manchester City had the luck and Trautmann”.
it was good team specially the forwards. lockhart was replaced by errol crossan, a canadian we signed from gillingham. sammy mccrory joined us from plymouth (i think) he was a n. irish international who scored in a famous 3-2 win v england at wembley during his time with us. roy hollis came from spurs and scored 120 goals in 240 games. kevin baron signed from liverpool he played for them in the 1950 cup final v arsenal (my favourite , he was a great player). john mcguigan came on a free from st mirran. he had afew good seasons before newcastle signed him for a reported £100,000. i think he played for scotland.

john mcguigan came on a free from st mirran. he had afew good seasons before newcastle signed him for a reported £100,000. i think he played for scotland.

I think not. We got Bill Punton in exchange plus a small four figure fee.

I think Denis Law to Torino a bit later might have been the first £100,000 transfer.

I think not. We got Bill Punton in exchange plus a small four figure fee.

I think Denis Law to Torino a bit later might have been the first £100,000 transfer.
youre right mick, i had a senior hour or two. the fee was too high. i had forgotten about bill punton. was he nearly bald when he arrived or did playing for us do it!

Yes im still around still playing Walking Fooball Chemico fc Walking Football Team Know.We Made the Peoples cup Finals day at the England training camp we Finished 4 th out of 300 Teams . Great Day out.I do this Team Chemico fc in my sons James Staines Memory RIP James x

Attachments

• IMG-20190428-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20190428-WA0000.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 53
il_794xN.1635592419_5p0k.jpg

il_794xN.1588151866_ona3.jpg

il_794xN.1588152138_8ktj.jpg

il_794xN.1588152536_apqk.jpg

il_794xN.1588150946_9jwo.jpg

il_794xN.1635592039_7o08.jpg

Last edited:
This was the game

In 1981 High Wycombe Schools Under 15’s side reached the final of the English Schools Trophy and took on a Sunderland Schools side in a two-legged final.

The 1st leg took place at Loakes Park – then home of Wycombe Wanderers – on Thursday 30th April 1981. With many of the ties leading up to the final also being played at Loakes Park, local interest was at a high and an estimated attendance of 6,000 walked up to the ground that evening – more than eight times the average gate for Wycombe Wanderers’ League games at the time and the biggest attendance at Loakes Park since 12,000 had packed the ground for the visit of Middlesbrough in the FA Cup Third Round in January 1975. The attendance would not be bettered in the remaining nine years that Wanderers played on the town centre site.

The game itself was a tense affair and the expectant crowd were mostly subdued until local hero in the making Mark West grabbed the only goal of the tie after 67 minutes – just three minutes from the end of the35 minute each-way leg. The crucial goal came when a long throw from the right from Paul Bates was headed on by Keith Dublin for West to acrobatically sent a shot past Kevin Wolfe in the Sunderland goal.

West, a schoolboy at Stokenchurch’s Batholomew Tippings, had scored in each round leading up to the two-legged final – bagging 17 goals in seven ties. Raymond Jack had chipped in with 8 goals to make High Wycombe’s strike force a formidable one. West had also hit the local headlines by gaining an international schoolboy cap with England in the weeks leading up to the final. He had scored on his international debut but a leg injury had seen him limp through the encounter with Sunderland before popping up to spark the loudest cheer at Loakes Park for years.

The team line-ups and squad details for both sides were as follows:

High Wycombe: Tony Ashby (Bartholomew Tippings, Stokenchurch), Jon Delaney (Brenchwood), Russell Turner (Cressex), Paul Bates (St Bernards), Martin Smith (Brenchwood), Kevin Keen (John Hampden), Graham Bressington (Bartholomew Tippings, Stokenchurch), Chris Searle (Great Marlow), Keith Dublin (Cressex), Mark West (Bartholomew Tippings, Stokenchurch), Raymond Jack (Cressex) – sub David Lay (John Hampden) 43 mins for Bressington
Other squad members: Philip Walsh (Sir William Ramsey), Barry Wilson (John Hampden), David Coggan (John Hampden), Richard Victory (Hatters Lane), Mark Chisholm (Bartholomew Tippings, Stokenchurch)

Sunderland: Kevin Wolfe (Farringdon), Paul Fairweather (St Thomas Aquinas), William Bowman (St Aidan’s), David Corner(St Thomas Aquinas), Phillip James (Hylton Red House), Dean Ferry (Pennywell), Robert Holden (Southmoor), Paul Reveley (Hylton Red House), Stephen Ferguson (Bede), David Edwards (Monkwearmouth), Gary Porter (Monkwearmouth) Other squad members: Allan Hope (Pennywell), Derrick Williams (Monkwearmouth), Robert Smithson (Monkwearmouth), David Edwards (Monkwearmouth)

The return at Roker Park the following Wednesday 6th May 1981 saw both sides put out unchanged line-ups and before an 8,000 attendance it was the High Wycombe side who withstood the pressure from a home side who had beaten South London 5-0 in the semi-final to secure a 0-0 score-line and lift the Trophy on aggregate. Captain Paul Bates lifted the Trophy to delight the hardy band of supporters from High Wycombe who had mostly made their way up north by coach.

Looking back at the High Wycombe squad, Mark West was already a schoolboy with West Ham but later became a Wanderers legend – ten years later scoring the winning goal in the 1991 FA Trophy Final at Wembley. Graham Bressington also played for Wanderers while a non-League side, before having a Footballl League career with Lincoln City and Southend United. Kevin Keen played for Wanderers as a 15 year old while his father Mike was Manager at Wycombe, before a professional career with West Ham, Wolves, Stoke City and Macclesfield. Keith Dublin made his name at Chelsea, Brighton, Watford and Southend.

Yes im still around still playing Walking Fooball Chemico fc Walking Football Team Know.We Made the Peoples cup Finals day at the England training camp we Finished 4 th out of 300 Teams . Great Day out.I do this Team Chemico fc in my sons James Staines Memory RIP James x
Can remember playing against you for temple Sutton v earls Hall,must be over 50 years ago. Keep going Colin my body gave up a long time ago. ?

Great stuff...was also at that game.
Morley was a good player,went onto win the Euro cup with Villa in82?
Thought he and Shaw (both Villa players),would do very well for England,but i was wrong again!!

The Big Match finally show some Southend. It's versus Preston 1st Feb 1975, Bobby Charlton and Nobby Stiles now playing for Preston. Not long enough, but worth watching. Quite a few in that magic South Bank that day.

Tony Morley was a hell of a player, he played for England and won the European cup. Good to see Stuart Brace score, I liked him and Chris Guthrie?

Back