• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Barrie (and Master Nelson) featured in the National Schools Cup final, played at Roots Hall. Southend High lost 1-0 to their opponents from Birmingham. Think Ron Saunders had him on a trial at Villa (must have been around the same time another keeper from Essex was making his mark there - Nigel Spink)

It could have been either game 'Leo' in truth. The only difference in personnel was whether Number 2 was Micky Stead or Warren May in the pic.

The deciding factor was the trees in the background. Being deciduous, they would have had leaves on them in September.
Impressive work! Even though it was my first game, I can't remember what Scunny were wearing - presumably their claret and blue as it wouldn't have been a clash with our royal blue and yellow.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scunthorpe_United/Scunthorpe_United.htm
Sorry for delay ..I remember the scunthorpe game ..I am sure they were in yellow with a claret stripe on the shirts

Barrie (and Master Nelson) featured in the National Schools Cup final, played at Roots Hall. Southend High lost 1-0 to their opponents from Birmingham. Think Ron Saunders had him on a trial at Villa (must have been around the same time another keeper from Essex was making his mark there - Nigel Spink)

Not quite true although close!

Barrie was indeed in the same SHSB school year team as Garry Nelson (and myself) but he had left school by the time of the National Cup Final v Birmingham. That was U19 and we were in Upper Sixth in old money by then.
Also Barrie always played at CB not in goal for the school team although I did have the pleasure of playing with him in goal for Old Southendian.

Not quite true although close!

Barrie was indeed in the same SHSB school year team as Garry Nelson (and myself) but he had left school by the time of the National Cup Final v Birmingham. That was U19 and we were in Upper Sixth in old money by then.
Also Barrie always played at CB not in goal for the school team although I did have the pleasure of playing with him in goal for Old Southendian.
I stand corrected sir (do remember him as an outfield player though).

Brett Angell played the best football of his career with us he said, luckily. Our players and style of play suited him, and he put away a high percentage of chances that fell to him. His next two clubs supporters at Everton and Sunderland thought he was rubbish.

Seem to recall he had a goal for Everton disallowed away to Man Utd?. That was the highlight of his time there.
As you say, Everton fans thought he was useless, cant remember his time & record at Sunderland.

Seem to recall he had a goal for Everton disallowed away to Man Utd?. That was the highlight of his time there.
As you say, Everton fans thought he was useless, cant remember his time & record at Sunderland.

Just looked it up, he scored 47 goals for us, then only 1 in 18 for Everton, and the 0 in 10 games for Sunderland. When he dropped down the league, his record with Stockport became good again with 42 goals in 108 games. I remember him being slated at Everton, and then when he played for Sunderland he had lost all confidence. Good on him that he bounced back.

The prog of this match v FC Zenit in Nov 1972 is on the first page of this thread. The scorer of the goal for us in the 1-1 draw that eve, Bobby Bennett, has just sent us in the pic of him scoring it!
Earlier this eve I posted up a really great pic of a hot-shot comp in training from circa Sept '73 - I'll leave to log on to SUEPA Facebook & Twitter to see that, but it is good (tease :Smile: )
Anyway, these old pics has prompted me to ask the SUEPA members (and we now have 299 of them) as and when the opportunity arises to send in old pics that they have kept from their Roots Hall days, so we might well unearth a few gems. Will post them up on the SUEPA FB/Tw pages as and when I get them

Image (2).jpeg

June Cork
2otSponssmorhesd ·

A promised photo [1906] from the past - behind the Blue Boar. The tall gentleman under the Club name was the Licensee Oliver Trigg. Southend Harriers founded 1905 [now Southend-on-Sea Athletic Club] held Committee Meetings at the Blue Boar. Mayor of Southend, Walter King, sits centre. 3rd left centre row, George H Hogsflesh who, along with Oliver Trigg, was involved in the formation of Southend UFC in 1906. Photograph by member Walter Beecroft, he of the Art Gallery

151639472_2034242016739289_2383420434643217345_n.jpg

June Cork
2otSponssmorhesd ·

A promised photo [1906] from the past - behind the Blue Boar. The tall gentleman under the Club name was the Licensee Oliver Trigg. Southend Harriers founded 1905 [now Southend-on-Sea Athletic Club] held Committee Meetings at the Blue Boar. Mayor of Southend, Walter King, sits centre. 3rd left centre row, George H Hogsflesh who, along with Oliver Trigg, was involved in the formation of Southend UFC in 1906. Photograph by member Walter Beecroft, he of the Art Gallery

View attachment 14380
Great photo ,never seen this one before.Ive posted a Southend Athletic picture here ,colourised ( although I was led to believe they played in red) shows RA Jones in support .Must have been an interesting and exciting time to be involved with football in the town .Looks like only a couple of Athletic players crossed over to United

Attachments

• 20200519_171433.png
    20200519_171433.png
    867.3 KB · Views: 35
That stripes kit from the late 60s was a direct nick from WBA, and the reproduced retro shirt had the wrong shade of blue.
However, would love to see the 62-64 butcher-strip kit back, or available as a retro buy.
Seem to recall that the supporters were asked to choose a shirt design at the end of a season in the 60s for the following season. The 1st team would ware a different blue shirt for 6 or 7 home games. I recall that the fans went with the Chelsea blue shirts and shorts. But other kits that they played in I recall were Coventry (sky blue) WBA (blue stripes) Scotland (dark blue) and an Ipswich (blue & white)

Seem to recall that the supporters were asked to choose a shirt design at the end of a season in the 60s for the following season. The 1st team would ware a different blue shirt for 6 or 7 home games. I recall that the fans went with the Chelsea blue shirts and shorts. But other kits that they played in I recall were Coventry (sky blue) WBA (blue stripes) Scotland (dark blue) and an Ipswich (blue & white)

1968/69 - We had switched to the Scotland navy blue shirts for the start of the 68/69 season. In October on a Friday night I think we beat Exeter 6-1 at Roots Hall and their manager ( our former manager Frank Broome) complained his players could not see our players in their dark shirts.

The Football League then went and banned Navy Blue as a shirt colour for the following season. We had to select a new strip and as you say we borrowed strips from Chelsea, WBA, Coventry and Ipswich for our last 4 games.

The fans voted and we chose the WBA strip which we wore for the next season switching to the Chelsea all blue strip the following season which we wore until the end of the 75/76 season.

I think a lot of our troubles at home in the last few seasons, particularly in midweek games under lights, is down to wearing all navy. The way we pass to each other I dont believe we can see each other.

1968/69 - We had switched to the Scotland navy blue shirts for the start of the 68/69 season. In October on a Friday night I think we beat Exeter 6-1 at Roots Hall and their manager ( our former manager Frank Broome) complained his players could not see our players in their dark shirts.

The Football League then went and banned Navy Blue as a shirt colour for the following season. We had to select a new strip and as you say we borrowed strips from Chelsea, WBA, Coventry and Ipswich for our last 4 games.

The fans voted and we chose the WBA strip which we wore for the next season switching to the Chelsea all blue strip the following season which we wore until the end of the 75/76 season.

I think a lot of our troubles at home in the last few seasons, particularly in midweek games under lights, is down to wearing all navy. The way we pass to each other I dont believe we can see each other.
:Clap: :Clap:Great background Info

I and a lot of other supporters of a certain age will tell you that the Scotland navy blue shirt was the best ever shirt .

Back