• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yes you're right Tony. 4860, one figure I found. Maybe affected by playing on fireworks night? Silly night to play it.
No just the Southend public not really getting behind us after all those years trying to get to the 2nd division. A few games before that we only had about 4,500 v Plymouth.
I actually think there may have been a few more inside the ground than the official figure as well.

Crazy to think that we had some crowds about 3,500 in Div 2. Mind you it wasn't just us the highest away crowd that season was only 15,500 at Leicester and the crowd at Newcastle was only about 14,500.

Stockport v Blues, 08/05/87 - Div 4: Full match. The night we pipped Wolves to promotion! Shame the picture turns blue (apt perhaps?) for the second half, but great pics of our support and an interview with Clarky at the end. Stockport were then managed by Colin Murphy.

Blades v Blues, 17/12/88 - Div 3: Full match. I'd forgotten about this unexpected win.

Who did not go to Stans debut because of the boycott , and did they regret it after .
I was actually vice chairman of "United for Southend" so I didn't go obviously. It was Sod's Law that it turned out to be an iconic game and that I missed Stan's debut but, in truth, beforehand no one had any expectations about the new signing at all. Do I regret it? Can't say that I do, it's just how it turned out. I think we had good cause to protest at the time but looking back I think Vic played us all for fools.

Back