• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

About time this thread got bumped, some quality stuff on it and at SUEPA we've just signed up Tommy Horsfall who scored such a wonderful goal on his debut in '73 so thought that worthy of a mention on here.
When speaking to him this afternoon (and he was SO chuffed about being asked to be part of SUEPA) and being remembered which was quite touching), that goal got a good few mentions and yes, he still proudly has the pic that the club presented to him of it, chipping the goalie after running from his own half beating four York players, so here is the pic ...... (get to the SUEPA Facebook/Twitter pages for news of another signing too today who came to us in a storm!)
Ooh, look at that scoreboard glow too!

EnJBO2wXYAATK_a (2).jpg

As a young lad, I always remember the South bank being a lot bigger.
Things always seemed bigger when you was a kid didn't they, mind you the South Bank was built to hold over 15,000 people, that's pretty big. Pity it didn't get a roof it might still be with us today.

It's sad that the largest terrace still being used in the Country is I think the home end at Exeter or Peterborough .(not sure on current capacities). I'm sure Peterborough were due to redevelop that end as well?

Things always seemed bigger when you was a kid didn't they, mind you the South Bank was built to hold over 15,000 people, that's pretty big. Pity it didn't get a roof it might still be with us today.

It's sad that the largest terrace still being used in the Country is I think the home end at Exeter or Peterborough .(not sure on current capacities). I'm sure Peterborough were due to redevelop that end as well?

In the League, I'd guess Carlisle.

Just dropped in, in case anyone was interested that Southend v Preston from 1975 is meant to be on The Big Match Revisited this morning - 10:30am on ITV4

It'll also be available on catch-up.
Preston managed by a certain Bobby Charlton

Preston managed by a certain Bobby Charlton

Player Manager.

Sadly the highlights were quite short, but it was good to see RH back then with the old South Bank :Thumbs up:

Ps, Deleted my original post as SNB already posted, above. I thought today's was the first showing this week. :Facepalm:

Last edited:
Player Manager.

Sadly the highlights were quite short, but it was good to see RH back then with the old South Bank :Thumbs up:

Ps, Deleted my original post as SNB already posted, above. I thought today's was the first showing this week. :Facepalm:
Nice seeing Tony Hadley with a Barnet !I love that kit as well .

Nice seeing Tony Hadley with a Barnet !I love that kit as well .

Yep, with the old small shrimp logo as well.

I was there that day. In the East Bank right at the back. Remember thinking that it was THE Bobby Charlton out there playing at Roots Hall. Was quite something.

Good season that was. Like the programmes then as well. The following season, we went to that typed up four page effort, but 74-75 were quality programmes.

Last edited:
I haven't seen this bit of film before. Roots Hall in the 70's.

From the film 'Bloody Kids' probably talked about a few times on this thread but still worth bringing up every now and then.

From memory doesn't the police car go the wrong way past the East Stand to go out the ground, then a few seconds later is near Chalkwell Park.

Richard Beckinsale was working on that film when he sadly passed away. He stayed at the Westcliff Hotel and was a true gent (and a good tipper) the crew and the rest of the cast however were rowdy pests.

From the film 'Bloody Kids' probably talked about a few times on this thread but still worth bringing up every now and then.

From memory doesn't the police car go the wrong way past the East Stand to go out the ground, then a few seconds later is near Chalkwell Park.
And when the ambulance is called it goes along the sea front. I think they call that poetic licence :)

There is another scene where the main characters get off a bus on Canvey Sea Front. They walk along the Front and suddenly are back in Southend. The late, great comedian Mel Smith is a doorman in the film as well. I am sure Gary Holton is in it as well, he was in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet. To finish my geek tour, a young Gwyneth Strong is also in it (Cassandra in Only Fools and Horses).

Last edited:
We Are getting a few pics in from SUEPA members with Christmas wishes which I've started to post up on our SUEPA Facebook page from today with others to go up in the next few days before Santa arrives (assuming he is in your bubble).
To kick things off here is a really top one from Barrie Delf who is pictured here in '72 receiving a 'player of the tournament' award from Terry Johnson and Dave Elliott (Garry Nelson was skipper of Barrie's Temple Sutton team that day).
Scroll on some 11 years to March '83 and Barrie is 'hero for the day' in his one appearance for us as he keeps goal in a 3-1 win v Sheff Utd (when Colin Morris was the only person to score v him from the spot and Steve Phillips bagged a hattrick for us).
All players named in this message are part of SUEPA. Keep an eye out fr further Xmas messages/pics on the SUEPA Facebook/Twitter pages in the coming days.
BD.jpg

Back