• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Remember a large segment which I think was on football focus Sat lunchtime about our Div 4 champions promotion under Dave Smith ..... Anyone know if this has been found ?

That first v second game at Watford, kicked off in a town center pub when a handful of their top lads came into that pub full of us Blues fans..IIRC a Leigh Comm lad got arrested in the pub...like IIRC another LComm lad got arrested at Watford train station one or two seasons before having a pee (outside),because they would not let any of us into the bogs or they had closed them off.
That 1 V 2 game,i supposed to have played (tried) for Southend Supporters team v Watford. According to KK, Watford even brought in a couple of "ringers"..both played for their (WFC) youth team....i refused to play coz we knew there was going to be more action "off" the pitch.
How they got so many Blues fans squashed into that tiny corner i will never know.
Front page of the Echo a few days later was about how many Blues fans were arrested...poor old Stevie.P (RIP mate) got done trying to break the gates down,as did a few others, coz they would not let them in.....Watford away was ALWAYS interesting

No, a fruitless search, just like that 1975 FA Cup game v QPR 😣

I did just find Big Shane playing nicely with the mascot (but not so nicely with their winger) here though;

That first v second game at Watford, kicked off in a town center pub when a handful of their top lads came into that pub full of us Blues fans..IIRC a Leigh Comm lad got arrested in the pub...like IIRC another LComm lad got arrested at Watford train station one or two seasons before having a pee (outside),because they would not let any of us into the bogs or they had closed them off.
That 1 V 2 game,i supposed to have played (tried) for Southend Supporters team v Watford. According to KK, Watford even brought in a couple of "ringers"..both played for their (WFC) youth team....i refused to play coz we knew there was going to be more action "off" the pitch.
How they got so many Blues fans squashed into that tiny corner i will never know.
Front page of the Echo a few days later was about how many Blues fans were arrested...poor old Stevie.P (RIP mate) got done trying to break the gates down,as did a few others, coz they would not let them in.....Watford away was ALWAYS interesting
IIRC Watford High St was the nearest station to the ground, but we always got off at Watford Junction, to walk through the town & make our arrival known!. My 'wife to be'
was with me that day, as you say penned into that corner. She had a lucky escape when some brave wan**r threw a coin, which hit her jacket lapel.
We were squashed in that small pub opp the ground!.
The season before when we got back to Euston, can't remember where Man Utd had played, but there was a mob of Cockney reds there. We ran them out the station!.
IMO when we played them between 72-75 they were no threat. Then 1st game of season at home 76-77 season, they had all 'come of age' & were more formidable. That day there was a large brawl in The Spread pre game, stools etc went flying across the bars, like something out of a wild west film!. That evening many of them stayed in town, with several rows on the seafront. I'm sure Carl copped a right hander or 2 from some of them?.

IIRC Watford High St was the nearest station to the ground, but we always got off at Watford Junction, to walk through the town & make our arrival known!. My 'wife to be'
was with me that day, as you say penned into that corner. She had a lucky escape when some brave wan**r threw a coin, which hit her jacket lapel.
We were squashed in that small pub opp the ground!.
The season before when we got back to Euston, can't remember where Man Utd had played, but there was a mob of Cockney reds there. We ran them out the station!.
IMO when we played them between 72-75 they were no threat. Then 1st game of season at home 76-77 season, they had all 'come of age' & were more formidable. That day there was a large brawl in The Spread pre game, stools etc went flying across the bars, like something out of a wild west film!. That evening many of them stayed in town, with several rows on the seafront. I'm sure Carl copped a right hander or 2 from some of them?.
The second time Southend went up to Watford 1st Jan 74 , 12 Leigh Chaps went in the Watford End . Just before kick off we let Watford know we were there , plenty of punches thrown and Watford could not move the Leigh Chaps . Only when the old bill piled in were we moved .We were then marched up the other end to where the rest of the Southend were .

Remember all that..Poor old Carl,i think ended up in hospital that night.But im not sure.That happened down the seafront...as the saying goes..they came, they saw...and never came again..and that awful little pub opposite the ground !!!That was nearly as "PAKED" as that corner of the ground we were squashed into.
Twice at Euston things got nasty.Once i was with some lads from Chesnut Ave and that time with CReds...thought things were going to be very bad coz Jimmx C%%K had a Newcastle badge on and as he went down the escalators i was a few steps behind him.I was pushed foreward as i heard them say" He is a Geordie :::"about ten of them...and a lone policeman right behind them on his own making sure things did not start..Bloody brave rozzer

Question..Leigh Comm lads..whats happened to Si.Os....good lad,one of yours.Old school,i have seen him on Facebook..but im too stupid to work that thing.Is he ok?

Back