• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So did O`Connor

On a personal note played with Malcolm Linton in the Earls Hall cup winning team in 1963

Malcolm Linton was a nephew of Tommy Linton a full back who played for Southend United 1946-49 making 71 appearances after joining from the British Army on 1st August 1946, leaving to join Tonbridge 1st July 1949.

Malcolm also had a younger brother Gordon who was a very good goalkeeper and went on to also sign for Southend United. Unfortunately Gordon died at the young age of 38 and below are extracts from the Southend United programme at the time.
Gordon Linton.png
Gordon Linton 2.png

The above taken from the Southend United v Swindon Town 3rd Dec 1994 Match Programme (which is a great read) here is a link to the full Match Programme

Look who sponsored Paul Sansome's kit?

I think Hunt did.
Peter Hunt had by far the most impressive career in this group :-
A diminutive,slightly-built midfielder,he was never likely to score many goals. After his time with us ( one goal in 62 appearances !),he managed 4 goals in 156 appearances for Charlton. He had earlier appeared twice for England Under-18s…..without scoring !

68/69 yoofs, including Dave Barnett who is currently in hospital having tests due to a low heart beat.

View attachment 23714
Belatedly, can see another mate of mine in the front row: Vinnie Cotter.
Was at junior school with him in Basildon. I think he went on to the inferior Timberlog, lol!
All the best people, that's you and me, Dave Barnett, went to Woodlands! :Thumbs up:

I was there that night , Southend had 1,500 plus in attendance.
So was i, & at the time was working literally 'down the road' at a Print Co in Hackney next to Victoria park. There was living accommodation on the top floor, so arranged to sleep there overnight.
After the game, i was literally 'back indoors' within 15 mins!.

I though Id start looking through from page one

Amazingly good read/watch this thread for any Shrimper

Love this club so much such great history :-)

I am sure if we made it to top flight football in our early days we be Giant of a club today sadly lady luck never shone on us
It is a shame that Southend could not make the big step up after the 1971/72 promotion . Southend had a ground that was on par with a lot of 2nd Division teams , we also had a great team who played some of the best football ever seen at Roots Hall , also the club had great supporters and if Southend had been pushing for the 2nd Division crowds would of been pushing 18,000/20,000 .

Back