• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Johnthebomb

Hi all,
Thought I would join to hear news and opinions of other supporters. I like some of the historic comments and pictures of times past.

I first starting watching the Blues in 1951 when the club played at Grainger Road stadium, travelling there on a saddle on my Dad's crossbar and then parking the bike in a shed under the west stand and paying a small fee. Good old days.

Moving on,the greatest match I ever saw, was when we played Man City in thr FA cup January 1956. The pitch was a quagmire, as it had been raining for about four days and I remember walking down to Roots Hall in the morning watching lorry loads of sand and cockleshells being being rolled onto the pitch and supporters mopping up the water.

Myself and my Family stood on the North bank which had not been completed, so there were no steps, just grass and mud, so we had to try and get a foothold. The Blues wore a changed strip of old gold shirts and shorts, watched by a crowd of some 29,000 plus. The game started but the ball kept sticking in the mud and puddles, despite this the football played was very entertaining.

City managed to score in the first half, with a shot that just trickled over the goal line, after sticking in the mud and appearing to hit Williamson, our full back, on the way in. Blues came out determined in the second half and bombarded the City goal but could not beat Bert Trautmann, who produced one of the finest goalkeeping displays I have ever seen in 65 years of watching football.

The German keeper made save after save but the greatest of them all, was when our centre forward Roy Hollis hit a superb shot that deflected and with Trautmann diving the wrong way, he twisted his body in mid-air and finger-tipped the ball away. Hollis held his hands in his face in disbelief but then applauded the save, such sportmanship.

Trautmann went on to say that it was his greatest match and then went on to play in the cup final with a broken neck!

I still support the Blues but have been living in France for nine years, so kept in touch on Blues player. Now living in Clacton and llooking for other supporters that may live nearby, so if you do, or you know someone that does, I would appreciate a reply to this post.
Cheers,
John

Hi Johnthebomb.

Welcome to the Zone.

Once a Shrimper always a Shrimper.

Look forward to your memories and thoughts.

Royal London ?

Hi all,
Thought I would join to hear news and opinions of other supporters. I like some of the historic comments and pictures of times past.

I first starting watching the Blues in 1951 when the club played at Grainger Road stadium, travelling there on a saddle on my Dad's crossbar and then parking the bike in a shed under the west stand and paying a small fee. Good old days.

Moving on,the greatest match I ever saw, was when we played Man City in thr FA cup January 1956. The pitch was a quagmire, as it had been raining for about four days and I remember walking down to Roots Hall in the morning watching lorry loads of sand and cockleshells being being rolled onto the pitch and supporters mopping up the water.

Myself and my Family stood on the North bank which had not been completed, so there were no steps, just grass and mud, so we had to try and get a foothold. The Blues wore a changed strip of old gold shirts and shorts, watched by a crowd of some 29,000 plus. The game started but the ball kept sticking in the mud and puddles, despite this the football played was very entertaining.

City managed to score in the first half, with a shot that just trickled over the goal line, after sticking in the mud and appearing to hit Williamson, our full back, on the way in. Blues came out determined in the second half and bombarded the City goal but could not beat Bert Trautmann, who produced one of the finest goalkeeping displays I have ever seen in 65 years of watching football.

The German keeper made save after save but the greatest of them all, was when our centre forward Roy Hollis hit a superb shot that deflected and with Trautmann diving the wrong way, he twisted his body in mid-air and finger-tipped the ball away. Hollis held his hands in his face in disbelief but then applauded the save, such sportmanship.

Trautmann went on to say that it was his greatest match and then went on to play in the cup final with a broken neck!

I still support the Blues but have been living in France for nine years, so kept in touch on Blues player. Now living in Clacton and llooking for other supporters that may live nearby, so if you do, or you know someone that does, I would appreciate a reply to this post.
Cheers,
John

I remember my parents telling me about this game.Must have been some watch.:thumbsup:

Scotsman

Did you know a Scotsman who drove "a ****ing pig" ?

I certainly do, little bloke behind the wheel, struggling to turn the steering wheel, "This car is a Fuc***g pig!.
What about "Tojo" in his mercedes driving up the lane to a meeting, I think Firs Hill - "Loyal Rundon" was your quote.

Also, Mount Unpleasant and the coloured guy who dropped the bacon on the floor and put it back on the plate, the rooms were so small I laid on the bed with my feet in the sink!

Think I have attached a photo - look at the hair styles he,he.

Attachments

• ROYAL_LONDON_PHOTO(1).jpg
    ROYAL_LONDON_PHOTO(1).jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 25
He,He

Your hair always looked immaculate. :smile:

Just plonked it on in the morning! Ditched it many years ago, saluted it and stuck it in the bin!:winking:

I am going to the Boxing day match with my Grandson, should be a good one. Be in block D East stand.

looking good lads ! Those ties and lapels on the jackets are great, but sadly missing the platform shoes !!! Back row 2nd from left.......Ian McCaskill ?????( BBC weather man ) and 5th from left.........Jimmy Hill ????

Back