• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Old Southend Cinemas

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Some great footage of Old Southend on this.

"A short documentary covering a century of British cinemas using the seaside town of Southend-On-Sea to represent the development throughout the UK."

[video=youtube;jpEI-nbUock]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpEI-nbUock&list=LLVC2Guxs6-4MOuPgQfkmhNA&feature=mh_lolz[/video]

Ah the old Westcliff cinema, i remember that well. A few midnight showings after the pubs closed if i recall correctly.

Great find. Even has Gary Numan playing in the background, whats not to like.

Used to love the old Odeon. Going to the cinema felt like a real event back then, still remember having to queue round the block to see Star Wars and how exciting it was to queue up the stairs looking at the movie posters.

Great find. Even has Gary Numan playing in the background, whats not to like.

Used to love the old Odeon. Going to the cinema felt like a real event back then, still remember having to queue round the block to see Star Wars and how exciting it was to queue up the stairs looking at the movie posters.

Star Wars and plenty of other stuff. The Odeon or ABC were great back in the day, especially the ABC where, with the bar, you always felt like it was a bit special.

My memories of the old odeon are quite hazy but I definitely remember the stairs and how it felt massive.

Great find Cricko, remember The ABC, Classic and Odeon well. Remember one in Rayleigh as well but forget the name, saw Fantasia when I was about 6 or 7. Bored me silly and remember falling asleep. Never did like Mickey Mouse.

Thoroughly enjoyable.
Pity there was no mention of The Mascot cinema in Westcliff-where I used to go to Saturday morning cinema shows as a kid.It burnt down in the 60's ,IIRC.There was also a cinema in Leigh-The Grand (?),where I remember seeing one of the (Dirk Bogarde/Justin Robinson) Doctor films back in the 60's.
I've got a VHS video history of Southend cinemas (that Shrimpero bought me as a present), which is better (and longer) than this history.I'll have to get it transferred to DVD sometime.

Last edited:
Great find Cricko, remember The ABC, Classic and Odeon well. Remember one in Rayleigh as well but forget the name, saw Fantasia when I was about 6 or 7. Bored me silly and remember falling asleep. Never did like Mickey Mouse.

Ha!I remember seeing that there.Loads of mums with little kids.Very annoying for serious, (teenage) film buffs.:thumbdown:

That happened to me too! Same place as well. Really peed off that it wasn't a 'proper' Disney film.

Good grief! The Director/Screenwriter at 7:57 onwards is my Nephew by marriage - I wasn't expecting that! :stunned:

The same Director I was trying to get you lot to invest in via Kickstarter for his new horror film.

The Classic worked for me on the bus and cost front but the old Odeon was simply immense. The queue was always worth the wait. The pre-film and the intermission. Happy days ! Was never a fan of ABC but can't put a finger on a reason.

Always went to the Odeon for saturday morning cinema back in the early/mid 60's. Remember one week you got in free if you took a jam jar along....must have been some sort of re-cycling push. Happy days.

Back