• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Old Southend Film

Shrimp in a Kilt

My big brother (the one I blame for being a Southend fan) remembers a film being made about the Blue's in the '60's called, he thinks:

"The Team We Call United". It was shown in The Shrimpers. Does anyone remember it, or if there are any copies still in existence?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Reading Shrimper @ Dec. 24 2005,21:20)]Didn't Terry Alderton make a film about the club some years back too?
Yep, My FC. Was on channel 5!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Dec. 24 2005,21:38)]"The Team We Call United". It was shown in The Shrimpers. Does anyone remember it, or if there are any copies still in existence?
When I was in the Trust Committee a few years back there was a concerted effort to locate this film. It was made by father and son combo Alan and Peter Bushell back in 1970 and the finished product was about two hours of behind-the-scenes and on field footage. (I have the "programme" of a special showing at The Shrimpers somewhere.) If I remember correctly, the master reels were found hidden away in London but they would not be released by the company holding them unless a substantial sum of money was paid first. (I also seem to remember that one of the Bushells was in Australia.) The whole negotations got so drawn out that eventually the desire to have the film re-instated for a new generation of Southend fans was put on hold indefinately.

I remember TerryintheWest was heavily involved in the project; he may be able to elucidate more ...

WS
Jávea, Spain

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Dec. 25 2005,08:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Dec. 24 2005,21:38)]"The Team We Call United". It was shown in The Shrimpers. Does anyone remember it, or if there are any copies still in existence?
When I was in the Trust Committee a few years back there was a concerted effort to locate this film. It was made by father and son combo Alan and Peter Bushell back in 1970 and the finished product was about two hours of behind-the-scenes and on field footage. (I have the "programme" of a special showing at The Shrimpers somewhere.) If I remember correctly, the master reels were found hidden away in London but they would not be released by the company holding them unless a substantial sum of money was paid first. (I also seem to remember that one of the Bushells was in Australia.) The whole negotations got so drawn out that eventually the desire to have the film re-instated for a new generation of Southend fans was put on hold indefinately.

I remember TerryintheWest was heavily involved in the project; he may be able to elucidate more ...

WS
Jávea, Spain
Thanks Mike, my bruv hasn't completely lost his marbles then! Maybe when Terryinthewest surfaces from a sea of mulled wine and mince pies, he can bring us up to date.

smile.gif

A copy of this film has been put onto VHS but is very hard to get hold of, there are a couple of copies in existance. I know a very local trustworthy Shrimpers fan who has been lent a copy of this film, it was quite a while ago but will try and find out more details for you.

Other than that as far as old footage goes I think a few reels of old film were recovered a couple of weeks ago in an attic in Southend the films were made by the owner of the Kursaal and include some early Southend United matches as well as unseen footage of Southend in general.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Up the Shrimps @ Dec. 26 2005,02:36)]A copy of this film has been put onto VHS but is very hard to get hold of, there are a couple of copies in existance. I know a very local trustworthy Shrimpers fan who has been lent a copy of this film, it was quite a while ago but will try and find out more details for you.

Other than that as far as old footage goes I think a few reels of old film were recovered a couple of weeks ago in an attic in Southend the films were made by the owner of the Kursaal and include some early Southend United matches as well as unseen footage of Southend in general.
That sounds very interesting, UtS, Thanks. I'm sure that there would be a lot of interest in either of those. Maybe the Trust could follow that up?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Dec. 25 2005,08:48)]
[b said:

WS
Jávea, Spain
It was made by father and son combo Alan and Peter Bushell

..... I don't think so. They were affectionately known as the Brothers Grimm (for their story telling capabilities .... or something like that !!)

Mike, first off congratulations on winning the Trust draw, you lucky sod!!!
biggrin.gif

sad.gif

biggrin.gif

They were brothers and if you can find the programme for the film show, it would give a lot more information to refresh your memory.  
wink.gif

The basics are that the colour film was two hours long, had a soundtrack on LP and the production costs were paid for by the SUSC.

The film dealt with the beginning of the club and the period up to settling at Roots Hall in 1955. Then the film dealt with some of the players and games of 66/67, Billy Best getting the SUSC player of the Year, a lot of stuff of the 67/68 season home and away, Ernie Shepherd introducing the team, the signing of Phil Chisnall. It showed the work of the various sections of the SUSC, the SUSC band at the Bandstand etc.,

It showed fans travelling to away grounds, match day preparation, players training, playing golf and cricket, and it also included I am told, footage of celebrity fans such as Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor!!!!!!!!!!

As you know, a couple of years ago the Trust went out to track down the film. I contacted one of the brothers and here starts the sorry tale!!!!

They made two video copies of the film and sent the film and the soundtrack off to a professional film company in order to produce a video to be sold by the club and in other outlets - they had a deal with W H Smiths.

The production company then dropped the bombshell that production costs would be £25K which was not available. After a while they decided that they could not raise the funds and asked for the film and soundtrack back. However they were then told that the films and soundtrack had been lost/mislaid/spirited away by the fairies!!  
mad.gif

Still there are the two videos to be viewed. One was borrowed and is no longer in this country. The Trust has tried to contact the holder and although there are 28 people of that name in that country, we have been unable to locate them. The other copy in this country is vey badly corrupted and unviewable!!

So Up the Shrimps, we would be very interested to see if your pal has another copy of this film because I, for one, would be very keen to see it!!! It would be great to see it in the coming Centenary Year!!

now got a copy of "The Team We Call United" which plays!!  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Terry,

Do you now have in your possession a copy of the film?

If so, I would love to see it...any chance I would be able to borrow it, or even better, any chance it can be copied and sold through the Trust??

Mark

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Maldon Blues @ Dec. 27 2005,16:25)]Terry,

Do you now have in your possession a copy of the film?

If so, I would love to see it...any chance I would be able to borrow it, or even better, any chance it can be copied and sold through the Trust??

Mark
Terry you Beauty!

I would take 4 copies. Do you have permission to reproduce it through the trust?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Dec. 27 2005,20:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TerryintheWest @ Dec. 27 2005,14:39)]Mike, first off congratulations on winning the Trust draw, you lucky sod!!!
biggrin.gif

sad.gif

biggrin.gif
Holy sh!t!

WS

wow.gif

biggrin.gif
Blimey! Well done Mike. How many crates of beer is that then?

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Dec. 27 2005,22:34)]Blimey! Well done Mike. How many crates of beer is that then?

laugh.gif
Well, it's just over 1,400 euros so ... about 300!

Still in shock ...

WS

biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TerryintheWest @ Dec. 27 2005,16:04)]now got a copy of "The Team We Call United" which plays!!  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Terry,

Very interested in purchasing a copy (preferably on DVD).

Are the Trust guys putting the wheels in motion as we speak?

Simon

I remember they got a fair bit of (friendly-ish) stick at the time; there they were lugging this camera all round the country failing to get a single goal on film. Then they got lucky. We got a penalty. They nearly managed to capture it but not quite - then they got really lucky - it was a re-take and lo and behold a goal was recorded for posterity at somewhere like Port Vale (can't remember exactly where, it was nearly 40 years ago !!).

Back