• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Older fans in football

BaileytheQuitter

Spelling Guru
Just got back from Orient, not a great match but a brilliant moment at the end. But it was the celebrations that made me smile the most.

Now I will start by saying I generally stereotype older sections of our fanbase to be somewhat more subdued than other, younger, areas. This is of course not a reflection of their loyalty or passion for the club. But frequently when Southend score the older fans seem to just stand up and well...clap, while I normally go over the top with madness.

But tonight really touched me.

Walker slams the goal in and is normal in these situations I go a little crazy, running into the isle. I always love looking at our fans (who tonight were simply amazing and I could start a thread just about how much of a credit they were ONCE again), as the reactions heighten the moment for me.

Amongst the usual frenzy of fists and heads was an elderly gentleman. His expression was of pure joy, his fists pumping in ecstacy. I am by no means being patronising but his celebration was as if looking at a twenty year old.

The passion was clearly there. I then turned and he was joining in as enthusiastically as anyone else in the 'we hate Orient' chant.

It really was brilliant to see such passion and joy.

I hope people don't take this as me being patronising as im sure the good sir has supported Southend for far longer than I have.

Well done to everyone who went, and everyone who cheered on from home! Another great night, and not so much from the performance side, but from the support view-

I am once again filled with pride and love for this club.

Up the BLUES!

Just got back from Orient, not a great match but a brilliant moment at the end. But it was the celebrations that made me smile the most.

Now I will start by saying I generally stereotype older sections of our fanbase to be somewhat more subdued than other, younger, areas. This is of course not a reflection of their loyalty or passion for the club. But frequently when Southend score the older fans seem to just stand up and well...clap, while I normally go over the top with madness.

Walker slams the goal in and is normal in these situations I go a little crazy, running into the isle. I always love looking at our fans (who tonight were simply amazing and I could start a thread just about how much of a credit they were ONCE again), as the reactions heighten the moment for me.

Amongst the usual frenzy of fists and heads was an elderly gentleman. His expression was of pure joy, his fists pumping in ecstacy. I am by no means being patronising but his celebration was as if looking at a twenty year old.

The passion was clearly there. I then turned and he was joining in as enthusiastically as anyone else in the 'we hate Orient' chant.

I hope people don't take this as me being patronising as im sure the good sir has supported Southend for far longer than I have.

Well done to everyone who went, and everyone who cheered on from home! Another great night, and not so much from the performance side, but from the support view-

Up the BLUES!

'Let age be no barrier to enthusiasm and youth be no excuse for ignorance...let us learn from our joys and sadness and may both bring the wisdom of experience.'

This was a moving post, BTQ- always good to check out our fans when we score; what a myriad of magic happens at the moment when a crucial goal is scored, especially so late on. I salute you all- you make an Old Blue Geezer very happy. Sorry, just thought I'd get a bit cheesy on my 100th post. Thank you & goodnight...

'Let age be no barrier to enthusiasm and youth be no excuse for ignorance...let us learn from our joys and sadness and may both bring the wisdom of experience.'

This was a moving post, BTQ- always good to check out our fans when we score; what a myriad of magic happens at the moment when a crucial goal is scored, especially so late on. I salute you all- you make an Old Blue Geezer very happy. Sorry, just thought I'd get a bit cheesy on my 100th post. Thank you & goodnight...

Nice one old timer .. now shuffle along and get your cocoa ;)

Nothing beats a last minute goal, and the ones we have got this season (5 ??) show there is nothing wrong with the spirit and morale in the squad

great post! and totally agree..

think our fans are fantastic and love seeing everyone going absolutely mental like that!

Thought it was so funny seeing the orient fans to our left trying to sing songs and thinking they were great when about 16 stood up and sung :D ( i know it's harder at home and few of them were trying, but still... it was so funny!)

Well done southend fans once again..

everyone could have sat there and moaned for the most of the game, but we encouraged instead :)

great post! and totally agree..

think our fans are fantastic and love seeing everyone going absolutely mental like that!

Thought it was so funny seeing the orient fans to our left trying to sing songs and thinking they were great when about 16 stood up and sung :D ( i know it's harder at home and few of them were trying, but still... it was so funny!)

Well done southend fans once again..

everyone could have sat there and moaned for the most of the game, but we encouraged instead :)

I know, for me- a major part of the joy of scoring a goal is seeing the happiness one everyones faces.

Nothing better than hugging a complete stranger just because of a goal- where else (without alcohol) can you do that eh!?

Nice one old timer .. now shuffle along and get your cocoa ;)

Nothing beats a last minute goal, and the ones we have got this season (5 ??) show there is nothing wrong with the spirit and morale in the squad

Don't know about Rob, but being of a similar cohort, I can assure you I certainly don't do cocoa, or Ovaltine! I'll jump around with the best when occasion dictates.

Your as old as you feel (i'm 51) and still sing and shout and jump around like a demented banshee when the occasion arises. My 22 year old son who usually comes with me gives me a look like i've lost my marbles. As i've been attending Blues games since 1967, i probably have!.

Your as old as you feel (i'm 81) and still sing and shout and jump around like a demented banshee when the occasion arises. My 22 year old son who usually comes with me gives me a look like i've lost my marbles. As i've been attending Blues games since 1967, i probably have!.

Tony in the interests of accuracy I've amended your post mate.

During a part of the Catholic communion service the Priest will ask the congregation to offer friendship to those around them, which usually means shaking hands with a complete stranger behind and in front of you and saying 'peace be with you'. As a non Catholic I have always found this a little.... embarising...... but will think nothing of hugging or climbing all over a complete stranger during the celebration of one of our goals.....Football is indeed spirtual and has the power of emmotion far greater than any other sport on the planet.

During a part of the Catholic communion service the Priest will ask the congregation to offer friendship to those around them, which usually means shaking hands with a complete stranger behind and in front of you and saying 'peace be with you'. As a non Catholic I have always found this a little.... embarising...... but will think nothing of hugging or climbing all over a complete stranger during the celebration of one of our goals.....Football is indeed spirtual and has the power of emmotion far greater than any other sport on the planet.

That's not just part of the Catholic Holy Communion, and is down to the individual vicar. Our current vicar always asks the congregation to "share the peace" - unless the service has seriously over-run. Even as a Christian, I find it a rather uncomfortable process.

That's not just part of the Catholic Holy Communion, and is down to the individual vicar. Our current vicar always asks the congregation to "share the peace" - unless the service has seriously over-run. Even as a Christian, I find it a rather uncomfortable process.

"Let us offer each other the sign of peace" is I think the words in Catholic Church, which is my family denom, though I have remained COE.

The shaking of hands follows, yes can be uncomfortable to those who are unfamiliar with the practise, but somehow easier the more often one practises !

Back on thread the release of the frustrations of the prior 90 odd minutes in failing to score in a game we dominated possession at Orient, was like opening a bottle of champagne.

An explosion of energy from all age groups. Fantastic and contrast that to leaving Birbrain Rd last season when their injury time equaliser to make it 2-2 felt like we had lost the game.

Very sweet to turn the tables on them, in probably a more important game to both clubs this year.

Last edited:
Shame I was in hospital and missed the fun, a last minute goal against the o's is better than sex (and shaking hands in church).

Up the BLUES!

Something I was wondering on Tuesday. How exactly can droning on "we hate Orient" ad infinitum, be construed as getting behind the team?

Back