• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

The News
Oldham Athletic 1, Southend United 0

SOUTHEND United were left counting the cost of Bilel Mohsni’s latest moment of madness as they crashed out of the FA Cup at Oldham Athletic tonight.

More...

Unlucky lads,
In difficult conditions we had to endure a slightly disappointing match. The game was ruined as a contest with the sending off of your lad, they looked two rash challenges from my vantage point.
Up until the sending off we had been dire and hadn't played any football at all, only a couple of flying saves from cisak had stopped you taking a deserved lead.
After the break we got on top with our man advantage without ever hitting top gear.
A sterling effort from your side and i wish you well in your promotion campaign.

Back over the Snake Pass in record time. Couldn't wait to leave!

A pretty horrible match, personally I felt it was ruined by the red card, because as the wind got stronger and stronger the game deteriated into a scrappy hoofing competition. Oldham were dangerous in the second half, but on the whole I thought they were poor and we struggled when 1-0 down and down to ten men.

I thought the 2 yellows were harsh, especially the first one which was never a booking. The Oldham player had a heavy first touch, which saw Mohsni think about going for the tackle, but instead he pulled out and stood still, and the Oldham player cleared and made contact with the stationary Mohsni. Never a foul, nor a yellow card. The second one was hard to see, and it looked like Mohsni dived into a tackle to win a loose ball. The lads didn't seem to complain too much (perhaps goes to show how much it meant to some of them, or perhaps how they feel about Bilel) but I thought it was a bit harsh and Mohsni had been playing well until then, and seemed to have his head screwed on for once.

Some players worked their socks off, but some seemed happy to let it go by. Sturrock's selection was surprising (assuming it was tactical), although I thought it was right that Leonard got a start, and Mohsni was there to provide an outlet. Personally I would have started with Hall on the wing and Mohsni up top, perhaps in the place of Sturrock. Harris was doing well up front before moving to the wing when Mohsni went for an early shower. When we went 441, Sturrock was chasing shadows all game, which frustrated parts of the crowd, who were calling for him to be subbed, but personally I thought he worked hard and did a pretty decent job given tough conditions. I was surprised Ferdinand came on instead of Sawyer (who I thought I saw stripping off at one point).

Oldham fans gave some good banter, and our supporters were good as aways at these random away games. Probably a good 300 there which was good. Stewards were good and friendly, and on the gate gave me a free ticket for some random reason!

Ratings:

Daniels - 6 - Kicking was good and handled well on the whole, however he parried for their disallowed goal

Clohessy - 5 - Very quiet, I thought he was playing within himself tonight and it showed
Barker - 5 - I thought he looked shakey all night before going off early
Phillips - 6 - Dominant in the air, but struggled when Oldham's attack linked up
Gilbert - 7 - I thought he had a good game, with some excellent deliveries from corners

Mohsni - 5 - Started the game pretty well, with a good shot and winning balls in the air. Shouldn't have given the ref a chance to send him off when he was on a yellow card. Can only see a subs role for him for the rest of the season, unfortunately. Too much of a liability, and has to take responsibility for the result
Grant - 6 - Very quiet, like Clohessy didn't appear too fussed. Wanted to get the ball down and play, to his credit.
Timlin - 5 - Hardly noticed him all game, except when his touch was so poor it went further than his passes. Didn't win a second ball all night
Leonard - 6 - Pretty steady, with some good throws. Was really puffing in the second half

Harris - 6 - Started well, with a couple of half chances. When he went to left wing he was anonymous
Sturrock - 6 - Worked hard and chased things down, but it showed that we missed Dickinson tonight and his ability to work the channels and bring tough balls under control

Subs:
Prosser - 6 - i thought he looked very solid at the end
Ferdinand - n/a - did he even touch the ball?
Hall - 6 - nothing of note, except for a few heavy touches.

Ref - Started off as a homer, and then sent Mohsni off and probably looked to even things up. Average League 2 ref IMO.

Oh well, we can focus on the league now!

Sturrock said both yellows were deserved. I've just felt empty since the game finished, totally gutted.

Sturrock said both yellows were deserved. I've just felt empty since the game finished, totally gutted.

Well I stand by the first one being harsh, but Mohsni just can't go jumping about when on a caution. Very frustrating, we might not have won with 11 men, but we were in the game until that point and Oldham weren't great. He's cost us dear, and we can't have that kind of risk when trying to get promoted.

Had no expectation for us to win this, but still massively dissapointed to hear about Mohsni, didn't go to the game but from what I've heard he delayed the oldham press conference by fighting with someone (only rumour I'll add,) and has not taken the coach back with the team, don't think he'll start again, best we can hope for is some cash in January I suppose. Is it true the stewards were pulling him off his own team mates?

Thats it for Moshni it seems, Judging from Sturrocks & Gilberts interview, and what appears to have unravelled after the game. Sturrock and Gilbert sounded devestated as im sure they all are, both mentioned the travelling support many times.

Just got in and can't disagree with much of Pubey's report. Felt gutted at the end as when it was 11 vs 11 I thought we were just about edging it. If the reports about Mohsni being pulled off his own team mates by the stewards are true (and I'm led to believe they are) and the coach leaving without him,then I can't see a way back for him. Ridiculous sending off and if he's going to cost us games and his own colleagues are against him then we have to move him on.

Just got home long old depressing journey back.
Pretty similar to the game, the red card ended our chances first yellow was harsh but with mohsni you know once hes picked up one yellow its just a matter of time. difficult conditions but despite that an awful performance. Not to disappointed he will leave for everything good he does he ****s up twice. complete liability, teammates have had enough ta da mohsni.
Other than mohsni there were still no positives. fans I thought were poor today other than the back five or so rows and a handful spread at the front they just sat in silence not backing their team. anyway ratings
Daniels-4 looking shaky of late, and I think he was lucky with the disallowed goal looked onside to me
Gilbert-5
Clohessy-4
Barker-3 May have been hampered with injury so will give him benefit of doubt
Phillips-4
Grant-1 I remember when he was good, no heart tonight no interest. The worst I've seen him play
Timlin-2
Leonard-3
Mohsni-1
Harris-5 Best player for us probably looked like he was willing to put in some effort
Sturrock-4 worked hard but had nothing to go off had two centre backs on him and only service were long hoofs forward
Anyway going to bed now long journey for a load of crap, extremely disapointed.
However 3 points on Friday I will be happy again

From the radio commentary, Harris looked very dangerous so I was surprised to see Blair left on. Having said that though, I was surprised at their joint selection. Didn't work against Preston, why did they think it would last night?

I am quite concerned that over the last few weeks, so much of the hard work seems to have been undone by lacklustre performances by so many. Maybe it's time to get some of the fringe players back and to give them a go in places....Asante for one.

Sure this has been covered elsewhere but was it the same ref as the original tie? If so he was always going to send Moshni off, rightly or wrongly.

From the radio commentary, Harris looked very dangerous so I was surprised to see Blair left on. Having said that though, I was surprised at their joint selection. Didn't work against Preston, why did they think it would last night?

I am quite concerned that over the last few weeks, so much of the hard work seems to have been undone by lacklustre performances by so many. Maybe it's time to get some of the fringe players back and to give them a go in places....Asante for one.

Has your radio got a TV screen on it?????:smile:

Whats wrong with Bilel? He gets booked at least every other game and you can be assured of a red every so often. If i was Sturrock then i'd seriously think about finding him a new club come January. He's too much of a liability. What would happen if on the last day of the season we needed a win for promotion? Would anyone seriously trust him not to act the plum AGAIN?

Lol!
Harris had a few chances, but so did Blair (which he ballooned). I guess Blair was left on because he probably wont be involved on Friday. Harris probably will.

Yeah, you can get them from P.C World 200 quid. Apparently they make your favourite player look like he's got pace, score plenty of goals and don't fall over like a girl. Rose tinted Radio is the official title, type in any player i.e Alan McCorrmack and it instantly makes them look better than they really are!

Yeah, you can get them from P.C World 200 quid. Apparently they make your favourite player look like he's got pace, score plenty of goals and don't fall over like a girl. Rose tinted Radio is the official title, type in any player i.e Alan McCorrmack and it instantly makes them look better than they really are!

....and Flavs 6" taller? :unsure:

A few comments from afar..........the earlier post was lost in the SZ crash.
I've listened to both post match interviews with Luggy and Gilbert and found them both quite revealing. We've speculated on here about the relevant importance of recent games, as to whether Oldham, Swindon or Cheltenham was more important. If Gilbert is representative of the players there is no question that last night's defeat, with its prize for the winners, hurt them most. To say that Gilbert was gutted is probably an understatement. So, in spite of what may have been said, the minds of the players appeared to be fixed on this game and it may well go some way to explain the awful defeat at Cheltenham last Saturday. It may also explain the teams fury with Bilel last night as they believed him to be mainly responsible for shattering their dreams.
As others have mentioned, Luggy sounded apologetic and dejected.........perhaps it wasn't just the defeat last night?
That's now no win in five, with one of your main players going off with a calf problem (was Barker 100% when he started?) and three days away from another hard and important game......it's hardly going to put a smile on your face. Yet I sensed it was even more than that, could it be someone who has finally had to admit defeat? PS has invested time, effort and possibly some of his reputation in trying to develop and nurture the undoubted talent of Bilel Mohsni and as much as the talent showed through, the liability has sadly never been far away. Perhaps last night was the final and tragic realisation that this was the end of the road and the failure of his mission to polish his rough diamond. The reponsibility he may feel for that loss may prove more of a burden for him to bear than our exit from the Cup last night.

A few comments from afar..........the earlier post was lost in the SZ crash.
I've listened to both post match interviews with Luggy and Gilbert and found them both quite revealing. We've speculated on here about the relevant importance of recent games, as to whether Oldham, Swindon or Cheltenham was more important. If Gilbert is representative of the players there is no question that last night's defeat, with its prize for the winners, hurt them most. To say that Gilbert was gutted is probably an understatement. So, in spite of what may have been said, the minds of the players appeared to be fixed on this game and it may well go some way to explain the awful defeat at Cheltenham last Saturday. It may also explain the teams fury with Bilel last night as they believed him to be mainly responsible for shattering their dreams.
As others have mentioned, Luggy sounded apologetic and dejected.........perhaps it wasn't just the defeat last night?
That's now no win in five, with one of your main players going off with a calf problem (was Barker 100% when he started?) and three days away from another hard and important game......it's hardly going to put a smile on your face. Yet I sensed it was even more than that, could it be someone who has finally had to admit defeat? PS has invested time, effort and possibly some of his reputation in trying to develop and nurture the undoubted talent of Bilel Mohsni and as much as the talent showed through, the liability has sadly never been far away. Perhaps last night was the final and tragic realisation that this was the end of the road and the failure of his mission to polish his rough diamond. The reponsibility he may feel for that loss may prove more of a burden for him to bear than our exit from the Cup last night.

I thought Barker was shaky yesterday, but didn't see an obvious injury. Personally I think he's been shaky all the times I've seen him this season (a couple of times:smile:)

Back