• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Oldham Athletic 0-0 Southend United

Ricey

I’m a Mod, that’s unpossible⭐⭐
Staff member
Strange substitutions, an inability to score and another injury.

But hey it’s another point and a clean sheet!

You know what to do, please play nicely.

Anyone still questioning why Acquah starts ask yourself what we created once we took him off. The formation we play doesn't work without a target man and Acquah is the only one with Ranger injured that is capable of filling that role (Halford does the knocking the ball down bit but doesn't have the movement Acquah does). Yes his finishing needs work but the reason we see him mess up shots every match is because he's good enough to get himself into these sorts of positions in the first place! I would have taken a point at the start of the game but we looked so good for 60 minutes it's frustrating that we took Acquah off and had to settle for a draw.

I think people need to give Acquah a break. He might have missed a golden chance today but we looked far more likely to score with him on the pitch than without IMO. Halford is not a striker and now Akinola looks to be out, we’ve got to get behind Emile as he’s literally all we’ve got.

I don’t understand why Demi came on rather than Holmes or Goodship. Surely MM isn’t happy with a draw away at Oldham. This was a game we had to go for.

This was a game we really needed to win, disappointing. On the plus side they didn't look that much like scoring. We had enough chances to put it well to bed and were unlucky hitting the woodwork twice but the finishing was not up to standard.

I think it was a mistake to take Acquah off, despite the complaints about his finishing we looked more dangerous with him on the pitch.

Not many games this season where we created the number of chances we did today. At some point you just simply have to put one or two of them away.

Akinola had two great chances, Acquah had about 3 and hit the crossbar, RHF hit the crossbar. We created far, far more chances than Oldham today and deserved to come away with 3 points.

Defensively we look solid every week, we're hard to beat now. What we struggle with is goals. However one slight positive is we seem to be creating more chances recently than usual, at some point something has to give.

The lads need to keep their heads up and keep getting in to scoring positions.

Subs - The only sub today that I couldn't make sense of was taking off Acquah. Oldham were clearly struggling to defend in the air and we barely created anything after he left the pitch. Surely better to keep him on than have to force Halford up there?

Post your ratings here - https://www.shrimperzone.com/zoneratings/ratings.php?fixture=104

Should have won that. Acquah and Akinola both had two very good chances. We have no-one who I am confident can score, apart from maybe Olayinka.

At least we had a more attacking intent and we created some good chances, but missed a clinical finisher.

Our failure to bring in a striker (who has played in the last 3 years) in January has sting us these last few games. The 3-1 win against Forest Green was clearly a one-off.

Dreadful it gets worse every week. However many chances Acquah misses no one else gets anywhere near enough to even try and score. Really Moseley doesn’t have a clue how to get the side attacking.

Negative substitutions again - project fear returns. 4 substitutes used - the two most attacking players left on the bench.

Lose to Tranmere and then another 0-0 next Saturday against Stevenage. Going down without even a whimper.

I said in my pre match post this game will give us indication if we are good enough to stay up....... we are shocking infront of goal! Oldham were ****e and we still didn't win. MM sub were the most clueless iv seen from him, I'm not sure even he knew what he was doing. Hate to say this I think we are down.

F*****g dreadful. Acquah's inability to finish today has left me almost believing in Shrimpet's rantings!

We could have been home dry by HT but our inability to put the ball in the bloody onion bag leaves us ruing a missed opportunity.

No real game plan, a disjointed team with no chemistry. Keep playing like today if we want to drop out of the Football League. Back in the relegation zone where we deserve to be on the back of that s**t.

Also, why bring on Halford instead of Holmes when chasing a winner? Holmes not had the best start but surely is more likely to notch a goal than Halford...

All we ask is that players do their job. Simeon ...yours is to score half chances inside the six yard box, Acquah..yours is to take at least one of your numerous chances, RHF...yours is to cross a ball above head height, As for distribution......very poor. We should have had three points today, without question - even their commentary team thought so. As it is, we're sucked back into the bottom two on GOAL difference. This could prove to be the biggest two points we drop all season.

The better team which makes it frustrating.

There's no question the standard of players isn't good hence the position but had they been here from the start of the season, I don't think the club would be in this position, more like an Oldham instead.

When Acquah was on the field, it was the only time they looked to score but his finishing is an issue. Would still rather have that chance to score one of five than none in none which the others showed when he went off.

The formation has done a good job against the higher teams but questions remain over MM when it comes to lower sides.

Disappointing, should have won that. I’m sure everyone’s favourite scapegoat Acquah will take most of the abuse for the draw but we looked far better with him on the pitch. He was unlucky not to score with a couple of good headers, there was only one finish where he tried to lob the keeper that was actually poor. His replacement was much worse. Should have stayed on.

Back