• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Oldham Athletic 0-0 Southend United

For a long time now I have berated Acquah for being not up to scratch at league level and I still kind of think that way. However after watching us today against probably the poorest team this season and having most of the clear cut chances, I can honestly say that Acquah isn't the main problem. Our inability to shoot without scuffing the ground or not being able to look composed in the opponents half is what will see us get relegated alongside Grimsby, everytime we get in an attacking position we never look like scoring. Yes it's easy to blame the young kid like I have done. But until we learn to attack as a team the best we will ever achieve is 0-0 .

As for the substitutions ill let Moselseys fans explain that one .

Positive - we are harder to beat and look more solid at the back which is what we should have tried at the start of the season.

The teams above us are catchable but draws won't be enough.

Negative - not creating too many chances and taking even fewer. Not getting a goal scorer earlier in the season could cost us.

Well I'm going to take the positives from this game. We defend now as well as any team in the division, our defensive record over the last few games is a testament to that, Positive 1. We have all been critical of our approach play over the season, well, today we were sticking balls in from all angles, Positive 2. My third positive may seem a bit strange, but our ability to hit the target has been dire, not today, what was it 3 or 4 shots on target, so Positive 3. The final positive I take from the game is that Emile was on target more than once, I know he didn't score but the fact that he hit the target gives me hope. You could argue that I'm naive to take this view, but as we dropped two points I find it better for my blood pressure to look on the stuff I was pleased with rather than sounding off over something I have absolutely no control over (nor for that matter, would I want to).

Man of the Match - Tom Clifford by a country mile. If he continues to develop at this rate high levels of the game will be his before too much longer.
Couldn’t agree more and saved me writing up a review!

Clifford’s value goes up every game.

Fuming, a massive opportunity missed, our keeper made what one save. Defensive play is now as good as anyone in the league but thats no good if we are powder puff up top. Dont give a **** about how hard Acquah works, fact is he is a professional player and striker. He missed two guilt edge chances against Salford and again today. Not his fault if MM keeps picking him but he simply isnt good enough at the moment. He is young and needs time but we dont have it. We finished the game with 7 defenders on the pitch. Akinola goes off injured and we bring on JD leaving Goodship and Holmes on the bench. If Holmes needs match time then he should have come on in the 65/70 minute. Games are running out yet we simply dont look like scoring. We never once pinned them back in their area for any length of time. He says we have ammunition in his ranks well WTF is it? Barrow winning is a big physiological hit and now level on points with two games in hand puts us right in it. That today is inexcusable in terms of the subs, everyone defensive when it was the attacking part that needed sorting. Yes we hit the crossbar twice but the header from Emile he should be heading down and wide of the keeper just like the chance in the first and the one on one why is he not opening up his body to put it across the keeper rather than a lazy flick wide? Ranger a gamble that has backfired, Sim seems injured again but we keep rushing him back, so we are stuck with Emile. Thats fine if thats all we have but maybe go two up top with either Goodship or Holmes playing off him. I dont know what the answers are but its not my job. But at the moment the balance is all wrong. We set up to play one way and one way only but there is absolutely no plan b, c or d. So frustrated as that was a game that we could and should have won end of

As for the substitutions ill let Moselseys fans explain that one .
The other subs are all flowing from the (what I feel was wrong) decision to take Acquah off. Once we had done that it's hard to bring on Holmes and/or Goodship who are lacking in physical presence.

Big game on Tuesday now - we win and are still probably on track; draw or lose and then I think things start to look harder.

I'm disappointed we didn't win but I do see some positives. Defensively we are set up really well. Best I've seen from us in years. Oldham score goals but they didn't get a sniff today. Midfield not the most creative but we win most 50/50s and second balls. We are solid. We weren't terrible up front today, at least we created chances, but we all know the issue, we just don't have the quality there. Endeavour yes. Can't fault them for that but no hustle or cutting edge. Just have to keep plugging away.

MM got the subs wrong today and really if you’re Holmes or Goodship you’ve got to ask why we’ve bought on 4 subs, three of which are really defenders by trade/career (Halford, Demi, Elvis), and not yourself when we need to find a goal.

It’s another point gained and another clean sheet but it really should have been more than that

Are we really going to try and draw our way to safety?! Looking at the result in isolation then you'd be happy with a point, however as part of the bigger picture it is not good enough.

I commend MM for pulling the points deficit back and making us much more competitive in games, but now he really needs to wake up and realise the difference between a point and three is huge at this stage. Just in case he has forgotten the situation maybe he could have a look at the league table this evening because for all the progress over recent months (and there has been a significant amount) we are STILL bang in trouble.

On another thread, a respected poster stated that MM is doing a 'phenomenal job'.

I wonder how many would agree with that statement?

Personally I feel that he was dealt a crap hand by RM, but since the lifting of the embargo he has made, and continues to make, some pretty awful choices and decisions that leave many of us baffled, disappointed and angry.

I really hope that he finds a winning formula before too soon or it will simply be too late.

He may become a phenomenal manager and I hope that he does .......................time will tell.

Have really backed MM since he’s been here but some strange decisions today. Also confusing comments in his bbc Essex interview. Wanted more energy in the midfield as it’s a big pitch and wanted to go with height up top.

Montgomery 7
Hobson 6
White 7
Cordner 7
Clifford 8 MOTM
Dieng 6
Ferguson 7
Taylor 5
RHF 7
Acquah 7
Akinola 6

ANG 5
Halford 5
Bwomono 6
Demetriou 4

Sorry but if we draw the remainder of our games 0-0 we are down. Need some 3 pointers, a scrappy 1-0 where the goal goes in off a defenders backside will do. No luck and a lack of quality in front of goal is weighing heavier after each game. The substitutions severely weakened us, showing it was the right starting line up. 10 out of 10 for effort for the lads but the barren run for goals continues, onto Tuesday UTB

Last edited:
I get the clamour to bring on attacking subs but we were away with the score 0-0. Goodship isn't fit and Holmes can't run. You bring those two on and you probably lose.

Not against that Oldham team today we wouldn't. That was a perfect opportunity to get three valuable points.

Back