• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Oldham Athletic 0-0 Southend United

Just a reminder that there are 13 games still to go and we have conceded 3 in the last 6 games.

Today was a frustrating game and we should have won, Emile was unlucky with a couple of the headers one with a great save the other somehow didn't go over the line.

Special mention for Clifford he was excellent once again

Its actually better than that, its 3 in 7

Molesley mentions on BBC Essex that he felt the pitch was energy sapping, and the swiftness of Akinola's injury, meant he plumped for Demetriou and Halford ahead of Holmes and Goodship. Fair point on a half fit Holmes, Goodship would have been more like for like for Akinola though.

Not against that Oldham team today we wouldn't. That was a perfect opportunity to get three valuable points.

I get that. I would have liked to see us win it too. But bringing on unfit attacking players/ players who can't run would have jeopardised the point we 'had'.

A game of triple frustration for me. For over half of it I was in the train, returning home from Toulouse. It started well for the first ten minutes and then most of the rest of the time I watched a frozen image or the horrible turning circle. This time I don't think ifollow was to blame, it was just an awful connection. It ruined virtually the whole of the second-half. From what I saw of the first half we should have been at least two up. We did get shots on target, we just couldn't get the the bloody ball in the net. What I did see of the second-half was some of the poorest attacking football from us for a while. Continual punts upfield, players that couldn't pass water and others who excelled in their ability in not controlling a football. Yes, we got shots on target but do shots that are more akin to a pass bck to the keeper count as shots on target? We are proving very hard to beat but the problem is that thirteen points from the last thirteen games is not going to be enough to save our league status. As for the substitutions...............weird........I kind of understand the hesitancy about Holmes following his total 'no show' in his last start. I just don't know about Goodship and whilst Acquah couldn't covert anything he did at least create chances to mis, which is more than you could say about the way we finished.

I'm sorry, Oldham were not good and were beatable; yet MM makes some of the most clueless substitutions I have ever seen; he obviously has no intention of trying to win games
He really is getting more and more clueless every week, baffling. OBL could have got us up the League by now.....Acquah ridiculous, substitutions ridiculous, M.M is not the man to take us for another couple of years. Such a rubbish League and he plays for a point every week....why?

Another point well earned, but in truth it should have been 3 given the clear cut chances we had. The problem now being that at present, away games appear to be our best chance of claiming 3 points. Every time we fail to achieve that, the pressure on the matches at Roots Hall cranks up even more. Our own pitch is our biggest barrier to climbing to safety.

Some excellent performances today, most noticeably from Tom Clifford who continues to improve every game. White and Cordner again formed a very solid defensive partnership and looked comfortable all afternoon.
Dieng and Ferguson were the pick of all central 3, dominating the midfield area, particularly in the second half. Indeed Dieng deserves a tremendous amount of credit given the number of minutes he has racked up without a break. He was still chasing and harrying in injury time.
Reeco was again impressive, more so in an attacking sense today, with my only criticism being that his final ball is too often found wanting.
Acquah worked hard but he surely has to out away at least one of those chances he had. The header against the bar was maybe unlucky, but when clean through his left foot attempt at finishing lacked any conviction. Acquah was up against Oldham's captain and their man of the match Carl Piergianni who won everything in the air all afternoon at the back for them.
Final word to Nathaniel- George. He must be one of the most naturally gifted players in League two. For someone so small his ability to keep hold of the ball, twist, turn, go inside and outside is great to watch. However, he MUST deliver a better final ball or shot on target to go alongside this. We need him to deliver more than ever in the final 13 games.

Oh well let’s see if we try and win the next one against Tranmere.

I have this cold sweat coming out that now Elvis is back- MM won’t want to drop SH or Cordner so could it be 3 (sorry 5) at the back time???

If we are to go down I’d rather we went down by giving it a right go and trying to win games .

We look solid now but need to try and make things happen otherwise we will go down with whimper , but hey ho it’s another point on the board
It’s like the frog in the boiling water approach to survival this ... ****ing nuts WE WILL go down under MM

I get the 'forwards off - midfielders on' criticism but it's not as simp!e as that. With holford on as hold up man and his throws there's little point goodship coming on. I didn't see goodships play adding anything in that game. Moving Dieng forward and bringing jd on maDr more sense.
I didn't get why he took aquah off in the first place though. Thought he was having a very good game. finding great positions and having a go at goal.
I think in our position now id be tempted to use dieng more forward all the time. Keep Hobson back in his normal place - if Elvis is injured use jd there. We have enough midfielders to cope.
I'd not use ANG any more. I've had enough of poor decision making and lack of ball release. He isn't helping us I feel.
Oliyanka will be a big bonus soon.
No more square peg\round hole nonsense at the back and do whatever it takes to score.

Back