• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Oldham Athletic 0-0 Southend United

F*****g dreadful. Acquah's inability to finish today has left me almost believing in Shrimpet's rantings!

We could have been home dry by HT but our inability to put the ball in the bloody onion bag leaves us ruing a missed opportunity.

No real game plan, a disjointed team with no chemistry. Keep playing like today if we want to drop out of the Football League. Back in the relegation zone where we deserve to be on the back of that s**t.

Also, why bring on Halford instead of Holmes when chasing a winner? Holmes not had the best start but surely is more likely to notch a goal than Halford...
He was trying not to lose

Although in no way an ideal result it was a long way from being a disaster. Were Oldham a bad side or did we stop them from playing? I thought we defended really well.
I could not fault application or effort. Our midfield was not fully functioning and I felt KT less influential than normal. I thought it interesting JD looked very effective the short time he was on. We could have done with JO's creativity today. Hopefully, he will be back soon and Mellis will also be available and give us more options in midfield.
There are thirteen games to go and there will be setbacks but this is a long way from over, In the last twenty days we have played seven games against Newport (6th), Cambridge (2nd), Bolton (3rd), Forest Green (7th), Salford (9th), Cheltenham (1st) and Oldham (16th). No less than five of these games have been away while five them have been against opponents in the top seven. Amazingly, we have won two and drawn three of these seven games.
In truth, had we not unexpectedly done so well in the last three weeks we would be dead, buried and finished by now.
A win would have been nice today but we still would have been left with thirteen games to play and a lot to do. Not winning today means we now have to do slightly more.
On to Tuesday and UTB!

Absolute joke not getting 3 points today but it’s the same old story where we are literally missing 2-3 good chances per game with the usual suspects not doing their job.

I always said barrow would eventually get that win and our scraping a point wouldn’t always be enoigh and this is concrete proof of that. We need to go on a little run but with no goals in us where’s that coming from?.

I think Grimsby have had it do it’ll probably be the worst out of us, vale and Colchester. A long long 3 months ahead folks with something needing to change quickly in front of goal at least.

Poor thinking on the subs in my view and almost like MM was thinking -we had our chances so best go for the draw

Yes, I think you're right. But that was a mistake I'm afraid MM. You needed to bring on Goodship and Holmes and keep Acquah on. Oldham were under the cosh until you subbed Acquah and we would have won as they tired.

The Oldham fans give us little credit on their forum. One says we are the worst team he has seen in 30 years. Another says we'll be lucky to avoid relegation from the National League next year. Depressing. However, Oldham were worse than us so I don't trust those fan's judgement......

Oh well let’s see if we try and win the next one against Tranmere.

I have this cold sweat coming out that now Elvis is back- MM won’t want to drop SH or Cordner so could it be 3 (sorry 5) at the back time???

Don't even say that; go and wash your mouth out ?

Why not take a gamble occasionally when 0-0 late on and go two up front? He could have still made that sub and thrown Goodship for example on for a midfielder. The chance to gain two points has got to be worth a risk when you consider you only lose one if caught out defensively?

It's not that substitution I have the most issue with; it's the 2 prior to that, you need to explain!!

MM makes Southgate look like an attacking manager!!

Bwomono on for Hobson, who was starting to struggle against McAleny, was a good substitution. It also offered a more attacking option.

Halford on for Taylor was a little strange. Thought it might have been for the long throws, but there were a few chances he could have gone long with throws but didn't. Taylor didn't have much impact on the game and not many options on the bench.

"Emile Simeon" according to the Echo - is this a new player I've missed possibly combining the worst attributes of our two forwards?! ?

Last edited:
Yes, I think you're right. But that was a mistake I'm afraid MM. You needed to bring on Goodship and Holmes and keep Acquah on. Oldham were under the cosh until you subbed Acquah and we would have won as they tired.

The Oldham fans give us little credit on their forum. One says we are the worst team he has seen in 30 years. Another says we'll be lucky to avoid relegation from the National League next year. Depressing. However, Oldham were worse than us so I don't trust those fan's judgement......

I do.

Tranmere lost at home to Crawley today after three wins on the trot so I hope that's a good sign for us for Tuesday.

The trouble is every poor result means we have more pressure on the players in the remaining games.The embargo and catch up will end up being the reason if we are relegated .....it effectively created the current situation where we are crying out for a decent striker and are relying on injury prone has beens to get us out of this mess.
We could also do with a slice of luck which we appear to have used up in the Sunderland game

Reactions: GDM
Back