• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
And the beat goes on..............Cracking result chaps. Reports comments and all other after match stuff here please.

So I make that Won 8 Drawn 4 Lost 4 under CP, top 4 form if we had carried that through the season......

Well done to the 125 travelling Blues!!

My stream from iFollow decided to freeze on a regular basis, even at the lowest picture quality, but what I did manage to see was a very gritty performance from the whole team, Theo opening the scoring and two goals for Mr Cox. I think his second was probably the best of the bunch, but as the picture froze just as he shot I will not truely know until I see the replay. On Saturday I asked why the **** we don't can't play like we did against MK when we are away from home. I certainly got my answer tonight, we can. The midfield chaps were superb and Drew and Mantom chased and harried everything the whole game. We defended as if our lives depended on it at times and John White again showed what a versatile performer he is with a very solid performance in the middle of the back four. Cracking result Mr Powell and thank you for going 442 tonight.

My ifollow was fine. Only froze once all game.

Dru was immense tonight.

Oldham could of had about 5. Lots of last ditch defending going on and some good goalkeeping, together with poor finishing from Oldham.

Still we missed a few chances as well, pleased for Cox, and for the travelling fans.

My ifollow was fine. Only froze once all game.

Dru was immense tonight.

Oldham could of had about 5. Lots of last ditch defending going on and some good goalkeeping, together with poor finishing from Oldham.

Still we missed a few chances as well, pleased for Cox, and for the travelling fans.

Totally agree with this comment. There was a 25 minute spell in the second half when Oldham missed a number of chances and our goal led a charmed life. Saying that though we could have had at least 2 or 3 more in that half if our finishing had been more composed.

The early second goal made me feel a little bit more relaxed. But give credit where credit is due Oldham never gave up. Even after we'd score the third Oxly had to make some good saves and our defending at times was a bit 'Keystone Cop' like... But we held on..

My MOM.... Oxley... He was kept busy and kept us in the game at crucial times. The save just before half time that he took a knock for was crucial.

We must make suren he is our number 1 next season. UTB:happy:

That could easily have been 6-6. Neither team defended particularly well. We did some last ditch stuff true but in all honesty Eoin Doyle alone could have scored five.

That's the negatives out of the way, it has taken us a long time to realise we need an outlet away from home and Robinson provides that. Combine that with Yearwood's ability to find the channels and it caused Oldham real problems. In the first 25 minutes we were really good, first to everything, and could have been 3-0 up. Robinson did settle our nerves, scoring an almost identical goal to his third on Saturday following a corner (since when did we become potent from set-pieces??) After half an hour or so they came back into it, Hamer was giving us problems with long throws and Doyle missed an absolute sitter following a low cross. Relieved to hear the half time whistle.

They brought on a fourth striker at half time, seemed to go very gung ho and paid for it immediately as we caught them on the break twice within a couple of minutes through Cox. After that to their credit they continued to come at us and missed a few more gilt-edged chances. We could also have added more and if Cox hadn't opted to take an extra touch he would have probably had a good shot at a hat trick when Robinson nodded the ball into his path.

Great result against a side who are battling for survival and although we rode our luck, it proved that we can cause teams problems away from home. I don't subscribe to this 4-4-2 is best rubbish, formations mean very little it is all about how players link together on the pitch, but it looked like we had some good combinations out there.

A final word for the young lads who looked excellent. Kyprianou did well against a good, strong forward line in Doyle, Davies and Nazon, Elvis was composed in possession and Dru battled for everything. Nice also to see a few minutes and plenty of the ball for Lewis Gard who also looked a player with ability.

I wonder what old Tango Man thinks about it all -28 points from 16 games since he left compared to 31 from 28.

Only 3 starters tonight who are over 30 and 4 who are 21 and younger. Pity he didn't go earlier: those 9 points from Wimbledon, Northampton and Fleetwood would have us in the top 6 now.

We may have had some good fortune tonight and an early goal certainly helped but fortune favours the brave and those who try to win games and it's a lot more entertaining.

Staying at the Premier Inn at Oldham, just a stones throw from the ground, so a rapid report from me!

Well... after 30 minutes we should have been 2 or 3 goals up although their big no 9 was causing problems. I really don't know how we didn't score a hatful in the same way that I can't believe they didn't either. For the last 15-20 mins of the first half, we were under the cosh and just before half time there was a miss of the season from one one their players, who sidefooted wide of an empty net from about 2 yards out.

Dru and Mantom were running the show, there was fabulous short ball link up play, we were getting behind them.... and then it was like they sussed us out and starting cutting through us, almost at will. It was a half of two halves almost, and the only mystery was that it remained 1-0, the goal coming from a corner, the ball headed against the post and back to Theo for him to knock the ball home.

The second half started with Oldham in the ascendancy but after 7 minutes or so, Cox scored two goals in 4 minutes to give us a nice cushion. To be honest you still had the gut feeling that if they got one back it would be very interesting, but a combination of cracking defending, passion, Oxley and the post enabled a clean sheet to be kept. Oldham's biggest problem was that they wanted to walk the ball in and wouldn't shoot. However, when their number 6 did let one fly in the last minute it ended up in row Z so maybe there was good reason.

All told, well done Southend, 3 more points, another 3 goals and 2 similar scores in the final two games will actually see our goal difference at 0 at the end, which is absolutely incredible considering the number of hat-tricks scored against us, the heavy defeats we have suffered and the fact that we haven't got anyone who has scored double figures.

Ratings -

Oxley - 8.5 - Stopped everything thrown at him. The best signing SCP will make next season will be him, but I doubt we will get anywhere near. I gather more than 1 championship club is sniffing.

Demetriou - 7 - Some great tackles and defending but also some poor stuff too including a bottled challenge in the first half that didn't go down well with the fans.
Bwomono - 8.5 - Awesome left back performance from a non left back. Looked confident.
Kyprianou - 7.5 - Did pretty well but a few times let the ball bounce rather than attack it and that is always asking for trouble
White - 8 - Did well against a strong forward line

McLaughlin - 7 - Decent, linked up well with Elvis
Mantom - 8 - Worked very well with Dru
Yearwood - 9 - MOM - Awesome. Best player on the pitch by some distance.
Harrison - 5 - The one weak spot. Just wasn't on the same wavelength as anyone else. Poor.

Cox - 8 - Usual hard working performance, deserved the 2 goals. Nearly got a hat trick with a free kick that the keeper pushed onto the post
Robinson - 6 - Another goal but.... if he hadn't have scored, he wouldn't have done anything at all. Ran the channels well to be fair.

Subs -

McGlashan - 7 - Is always better coming off the bench
Ladapo - 7 - Saw some decent movement and strength... no goal threat though
Gard - Not on long enough to rate but he did get a couple of touches, didn't look nervous and it's always good to see the kids coming through

Match report: Oldham Athletic 0, Southend United 3

SOUTHEND United banished their away day blues with a commanding 3-0 victory at struggling Oldham Athletic tonight.

More...

Totally agree with this comment. There was a 25 minute spell in the second half when Oldham missed a number of chances and our goal led a charmed life. Saying that though we could have had at least 2 or 3 more in that half if our finishing had been more composed.

The early second goal made me feel a little bit more relaxed. But give credit where credit is due Oldham never gave up. Even after we'd score the third Oxly had to make some good saves and our defending at times was a bit 'Keystone Cop' like... But we held on..

My MOM.... Oxley... He was kept busy and kept us in the game at crucial times. The save just before half time that he took a knock for was crucial.

We must make suren he is our number 1 next season. UTB:happy:
Ditto this. How Oldham did'nt score beggars belief. They could have hit double figures. Mind you so could we have. Made for a very entertaining match in testing conditions. We should/could have been out of sight at 3.0 before they had their first chance. Poor crowd, attempted to get behind their team at times, early doors but were silenced after our first. Bit of an exit at 3.0.

A couple of good match reports above - quite a number of plus points to take from the match - another 3 goals from our 2 strikers, a clean sheet and of course 3 points on the road - nice.

Some less so good points - we should have scored more and squandered some good chances, seem to be a little complacent at times and scruffy with our play, gave the ball away too often and a better class of opposition would have had more of a say in the scoreline.

Some players look tired to me as the 2nd half progressed - and that included Dru and McLaughlin. Mantom for me was less effective than Tims and Harrison still looks lightweight ......... much of the play went through the other wing. Oxley made some very good saves.

Robinson scored again - so good for him but there are still some basic things that he does not seem to do very well ......... his 1st touch can be too heavy, he fails to get his body between the ball and the opposition player at times and in the 2nd half he made a lovely 30 yard run down the right wing with the ball and then failed to find a Southend player with the 5 yard pass.

Perhaps I am being too harsh - the pitch was sodden and when we needed to be, we put the ball in the net.

Back onto that motorway now ..........

I thought we bossed the first 35 minutes and deserved our lead and perhaps could have added to it. However, Oldham did have one guilt edged chance in that time which they missed. It is hard to make a judgement on just one game, but to me, the Latics are struggling because they don't put away their chances.

After the Blackburn game I said we needed to stick to 4-4-2, so I was pleased to see both Cox and Robinson starting. I firmly believe that playing one up front away from home is telegraphing to the opposition that you are playing for draw. And if you go one nil down, it's hard to get that back. If we are to win promotion next season, we need to win away from home, and two strikers improves our chances in my opinion.

I thought Oxley did well, making some smart saves.

I like Elvis, and though he's young and inexperienced, he has the pace to make up for any mistakes.

Kyp played well in the first half, he looked very assured and played the ball out defence with confidence.

Yearwood was excellent in the middle.

Cox and Robinson looked good up front together. Cox took both of his goals well, although there was a slight hint of handball for the second.

Overall, Brown did well for us, but for whatever reason, in this season, he just couldn't get the players to perform as a team as SCP has done.

Oh! happy days 7 goals for and nil against in past 4 days and another youth in Lewis Gard given some minutes, people got to be happy , plus Kyps seems to be doing well again along with Elvis and Dru.:happy::thumbsup::Worthy:

Robinson - 6 - Another goal but.... if he hadn't have scored, he wouldn't have done anything at all. Ran the channels well to be fair.

Wasn't at the game but looking at the highlights Robinson played the pass to Cox for our second and he was also involved in the build up to the third.

Wasn't at the game but looking at the highlights Robinson played the pass to Cox for our second and he was also involved in the build up to the third.

He was an outlet and he caused them problems, off the ball and on it. I think he times his runs quite well, he was caught offside once I think but he got in behind quite a few times which led to chances for us.

Excellent report fbm. Interesting what you say about Harry K. When he was in the team earlier in the season I felt his inability/unwillingness to attack the long ball with his head is the main area for him to improve on. Comfortable with the ball at his feet and good at covering his defensive partner - if he could just win that first ball a little more often he will negate a lot more of the attacking threat at source. Either that or will always need to play alongside someone like Turner who enjoys and excels at that side of the game.

Watching on iFollow, the camera was almost at pitch level, compared to the usual elevated position, which gave a closer involvement with the game than usual and seemed to emphasise the helter skelter nature of this game and how hard players on both sides were working. Credit to Oldham who never gave up even when three goals down, and there was always the feeling that if they got one back, anything could happen. However, this was a hard fought and well won victory, with full commitment shown by the whole team. Nice to see so many youngsters in the side with the outstanding Yearwood continuing to belie his youth with increasingly mature performances.

A couple of good match reports above - quite a number of plus points to take from the match - another 3 goals from our 2 strikers, a clean sheet and of course 3 points on the road - nice.

Some less so good points - we should have scored more and squandered some good chances, seem to be a little complacent at times and scruffy with our play, gave the ball away too often and a better class of opposition would have had more of a say in the scoreline.

Some players look tired to me as the 2nd half progressed - and that included Dru and McLaughlin. Mantom for me was less effective than Tims and Harrison still looks lightweight ......... much of the play went through the other wing. Oxley made some very good saves.

Robinson scored again - so good for him but there are still some basic things that he does not seem to do very well ......... his 1st touch can be too heavy, he fails to get his body between the ball and the opposition player at times and in the 2nd half he made a lovely 30 yard run down the right wing with the ball and then failed to find a Southend player with the 5 yard pass.

Perhaps I am being too harsh - the pitch was sodden and when we needed to be, we put the ball in the net.

Back onto that motorway now ..........
there is always one that can find negatives after a 3-0 away win!:nope:

there is always one that can find negatives after a 3-0 away win!:nope:

I'm not defending Rattus, but if he was there and that was how he saw the game, then he is entitled to share his opinions on here. It's easy to big up the good points from last night, but we do still have some areas of our game that really could do with some more consistency. All that said, it's three points and none conceded which is good. Bring on Bradford and Brizzie.

Back