• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Oldham Athletic v Southend United GAME OFF - FROZEN PITCH

Starting XI and result

• Blondy Nna Noukeu

Votes: 44 84.6%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 33 63.5%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • Kacper Łopata

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Louis Lomas

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • Tom Clifford

• Jack Bridge

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Cav Miley

• Harry Taylor

Votes: 41 78.8%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • Wes Fonguck

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Callum Powell

Votes: 35 67.3%
  • Harry Cardwell

• Rhys Murphy

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Jake Hyde

• ….

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ….

• ….

• ….

• Win

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Lose

Votes: 6 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
With all the interest around our latest match up with HMRC at the winders court on Wednesday and the fallout afterwards, I’d almost forgotten that we have a game of football to play this weekend.

Let’s hope the eyes of the players and management team have been focussed on the trip up north to the outskirts of Manchester to see if we can keep our 2023 unbeaten run going.

Oldham Athletic came down to the National League at the end of last season and in doing so made history as the first former premier league side to drop down to the 5th tier of English football.

The Latics’ fall from grace has been even more spectacular than our own - League Cup finalists in 1990 and twice FA Cup semi-finalists - most recently in 1994 in the same year they were relegated from the top tier of English Football.

They were taken over by local businessman Frank Rothwell for £12million in July 2022 and fans thought this would herald the start of a new era and their rise back up through the leagues. However, like us, they found the National League to be far from easy and endured a torrid start under manager John Sheridan who was eventually sacked in September and replaced by former Everton defender David Unsworth. They have fared little better under him and the fans have been restless once again - particularly after their 4-1 drubbing at Notts County on Boxing Day. They did however get a 2-2 draw in the return fixture on New Year’s Day which was their last home fixture due to postponements. Since that game they’ve had only two away games - smashing Dorking 5-1 in the league (their first away win of the season) but losing 3-1 to Gateshead in the FA Trophy last weekend (technically an away game but played at Boundary Park due at Gateshead's request). They currently sit in 20th place in the league, just outside the relegation zone.

Their squad includes a former Southend favourite, Peter Clarke, who is still eking out a career as a professional footballer at the ripe old age of 41 and is at Oldham on loan from Walsall (presumably there’s a bit of an Everton connection with Unsworth). However he may not be available for selection on Saturday having been sent off in their last FA Trophy game (struggling to get clarification on whether FAT cards only apply in that competition - Chris Phillips' article seems to suggest he is available for selection - however his tweet to that article has since been deleted and I guess he may have spoken to Clarke before their postponed game on Tuesday night). Mike Fondup is their main attacking threat - he scored a hat-trick against Dorking and signed a new contract last week.

We have kept a settled side for our last two victories and it seems unlikely that Kev will tinker with things too much, unless there are injuries that we don’t know about. The return of Rhys Murphy and Jake Hyde mean that we have options up front and Shaun Hobson must also be in line for a recall if/when one of the centre backs has a poor game. Each week that passes by also sees us closer to the return to full fitness of our goalkeeping pair of Steve Arnold and Collin Andeng-Ndi - hopefully one of them will be available before Blondy’s loan expires.

If you can tear yourself away from debating what is going to happen to the club off the field between now and 1st March, why not have some debate about the starting XI and result of Saturday’s game?

You know the drill by now!

Last edited:
My brother in law is a season ticket holder at Latics and tells me that they have some very good covers which have previously saved games when others in Greater Manchester have been postponed. Latics fans are feeling just as we did in our first season in VNL, especially so since the arrival of Unsworth has not produced an upturn in their fortunes.
No doubt a pitch inspection tomorrow will be ordered to save the Blues a wasted overnight stay. If it does go ahead Clarkey will be watching from the stands and not notching up his customary goal against us. COYB

Once the weather forecast indicated adverse conditions then one would hope that the covers would have been laid down in timely fashion days ago. If so then Latics could tomorrow give Blues an indication of what were the prospects for Saturday. Latics will be as keep as any club to maintain a revenue stream. Fingers crossed.

I am in Manchester City centre and it is very cold this morning. Dusting of snow overnight but ground very firm from the frost. Basically as the picture from Oldham Weather shows. However, Boundary Park is on a lot higher ground and is known to be the coldest ground in the UK with Joe Royle once nicknaming it 'Ice Station Zebra'!

I live 15 miles away from Oldham and the snow on my car from Monday is still stuck solid to the roof of my car, topped up by a couple of dustings on Tuesday/yesterday. The persistently cold weather this week has meant my local canal has now started to freeze over. There’s not a cat in hell’s chance this game will be on. Although Oldham have form with late cancellations - a few years back (in warmer conditions) they cried off around Saturday lunchtime if I recall, due to a ten-yard strip of the pict h in full shade remaining frozen even while the rest of the pitch was playable. They were out there with kettles of boiling water trying to thaw it out.

Be v surprised if this is on. Fixture congestion incoming!
Think your right about the extra fixtures not good with our injury prone players and not able to bring anyone in for cover I think Ron’s antics in the high court will bring our season to a sad end so good job we have points in the bag

I live 15 miles away from Oldham and the snow on my car from Monday is still stuck solid to the roof of my car, topped up by a couple of dustings on Tuesday/yesterday. The persistently cold weather this week has meant my local canal has now started to freeze over. There’s not a cat in hell’s chance this game will be on. Although Oldham have form with late cancellations - a few years back (in warmer conditions) they cried off around Saturday lunchtime if I recall, due to a ten-yard strip of the pict h in full shade remaining frozen even while the rest of the pitch was playable. They were out there with kettles of boiling water trying to thaw it out.
Remember it well.

It was a nice sunny day too.

I went to the office to get a programme and they insisted on giving me a hot pie that would otherwise have been wasted. They also took me out to witness the frozen strip of pitch. Friendly folk.

Headed over to watch Bury v Gillingham instead. Can’t go to Bury this time!

Time to get the vest out....it's going to be nippy if it's even being played, that is. Manchester Airport shuts both runways for nearly 3 hours due to heavy snow earlier today. Not a good omen.

Last edited:
Be v surprised if this is on. Fixture congestion incoming!
If it's called off, that will give us 3 away games to re-arrange ( Boreham Wood, Dorking & Oldham ), & possibly Wrexham if we beat York in the Trophy.
Imo best time to re-schedule them would be for 2nd half of March & mid April ( assuming we're still here! ), as we don't have any midweek games during most of that time.

Remember it well.

It was a nice sunny day too.

I went to the office to get a programme and they insisted on giving me a hot pie that would otherwise have been wasted. They also took me out to witness the frozen strip of pitch. Friendly folk.

Headed over to watch Bury v Gillingham instead. Can’t go to Bury this time!
Me too Feb 2018. I got as far as Saddleworth Moor and heard the game was off. Went to Chesterfield v Swindon on way back instead!

I’ve just arrived in Wilmslow, Cheshire for the weekend with snow on the ground! Forecast is not looking too good for Saturday, but let’s hope their covers work and the game goes ahead fellow Shrimpers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back