• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Oldham Athletic v Southend United, Saturday 6th March, 15:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• James Montgomery

Votes: 85 85.9%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 63 63.6%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 86 86.9%
  • John White

• Tyler Cordner

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Tom Clifford

• Sam Hart

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 82 82.8%
  • Nathan Ferguson

• Alan McCormack

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 77 77.8%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 49 49.5%
  • Simeon Akinola

• Emile Acquah

Votes: 53 53.5%
  • Brandon Goodship

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • Ricky Holmes

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • Greg Halford

• James Olayinka

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Rob Howard

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Harry Seaden

• Jacob Mellis

• Win

Votes: 45 45.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Lose

Votes: 14 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s weird how some places we can’t a result (Scunthorpe for instance) however many times we play there. Like Cheltenham (was), Oldham is a place where we hardly ever lose. The last 11 league trips to Oldham we have 6 wins 4 draws and just one loss. We did lose the Bilel FA Cup tie there though.

So what happens today? The past shouldn’t make any difference. We should be able to get a result but if they try and out score us and get in front we might struggle. I worry that the stats say they are due a win as well.

We‘re moving from playing games where we were clearly the underdog with not a lot of expectation, to games where we have an expectation and clearly need to pick up some points. I hope we can cope with that that brings.

I'd like to see Goodship get a decent run out in the team. If he's fit, he can score goals. IIRC he scored a few goals for us at league one level in a poor team. If he can get a decent supply he may come good. If I'm honest though we are pretty much out of options so I'm praying for a miracle! Over to you MM!

I think we can win this one!! If we play a 14312
Montgomery
Elvis hobson white clifford

Taylor Ferguson dieng

Akinola

Goodship holmes

No place for JD or Acquah!! Not been good enough!

Shrimpet Steve.

I can see your selection except and i know you wont agree except Acquah for Goodship.
As selecting Goodship totally unbalances the squad.
Only selecting Holmes if he is fit enough and only M.M. knows if he is.

A match at Oldham always makes me think of Jasper Carrot.

There is a sketch he did on BRMB Radio commentators and how the got them, saying that the producer used to go out in the streets and say to anyone he could find on the eve of a Brum City away match "Oi you, wanna go to Oldham?"

Funny how things like that stay with you, it always makes me smile when I think of it

That's all re my pre-match thoughts for today

UTB

A match at Oldham always makes me think of Jasper Carrot.

There is a sketch he did on BRMB Radio commentators and how the got them, saying that the producer used to go out in the streets and say to anyone he could find on the eve of a Brum City away match "Oi you, wanna go to Oldham?"

Funny how things like that stay with you, it always makes me smile when I think of it

That's all re my pre-match thoughts for today

UTB

Quality.

Oldham is one of the few away days I don’t miss .

absolutely Baltic weather, not the greatest area and the last time I went there we lost 1-0 in the cup with the winners (them) going onto play Liverpool up at Anfield. I believe Bilel Moshei got sent off that night too for a stupid tackle, not fond memories at all im afraid.

:Sad:
52% is not a majority. I demand a people’s vote to overturn this result as I don’t agree with it. I will be pushing this for the next 5 years, even after Aquah scores a hattrick in the Champions League final for Barcelona.

Good comeback Shrimpet.

Of course I could say that if 52% is enough to take us out of Europe after 45 years, threaten the Northern Ireland peace agreement, screw our fishing industry and hit the export of Cornish snails to France then it's enough to select Emile Acquah. But that wouldn't be funny......:Sorry:

Been a few time, the coldest ground in the football league (i think because it's the highest above sea level)

Glad to be watching on I follow!

Been a few time, the coldest ground in the football league (i think because it's the highest above sea level)

Glad to be watching on I follow!
Oldham don’t have the highest.That honour belongs to the mighty Albion, Boing Boing.

Shrimpet Steve.

I can see your selection except and i know you wont agree except Acquah for Goodship.
As selecting Goodship totally unbalances the squad.
Only selecting Holmes if he is fit enough and only M.M. knows if he is.
Acquah stops us from getting any result at all

Apart from the stat that was provided to you about our win rate with him in the side ...

we get you don’t like Acquah but really does every post have to be a slating of the young man....didn’t see you slate Holmes performance Tuesday night:Unsure:

Match day, iFollow ticket bought and done, all cookies, temp files and other rubbish cleaned away from the Browser, HDMI cable at the ready and a test period at 2:30pm to make sure the picture remains constant. Jeez, lockdown has done some wonderful things to watching a game of football!!

All that aside, it's an away game, our record away is rather decent these days and its now or never for our relegation escape route to get into full swing. I'll be glued to the screen and living every moment, trying to ignore some of the stupid bollocks that features in the official match thread and just pay attention to the overall game. I'll probably get told off by Mrs RHB when I check the Zone out on my phone, 'Why are you doing that when football's is on?', I love her dearly but sometimes essential football stuff just passes her by.

Anyway, enjoy the game as much as you can fellow Zoners, keep the faith and you never know, Emile may grab a couple today (please God).

All together now 'Everywhere we go............'
I rather enjoy watching the game and the match thread at the same time. Has become part of the experience.

And warmth comfort and beer ?

I’m increasingly wondering if Shrimpet isn’t actually someone who genuinely believes the stuff he says but is really someone sat in a room chatting with his mates online (maybe even Emile) wondering what to type next to get people to bite ? and having a good laugh

That's your opinion but stats dont back that up.
I respect we all have different idea's. Mine is Egbri. I think he is all energy but no end product.
But hey lots of people dont agree, with that. That's the beauty of Shrimperzone and Southend.
Anyone who pulls on a Blue's shirt gets my full backing. Really we should all be like that.!!
We all have our favourite players and opinion's, but lets back our team 100%.
Which i think you do. !!

I'd like to see Goodship get a decent run out in the team. If he's fit, he can score goals. IIRC he scored a few goals for us at league one level in a poor team. If he can get a decent supply he may come good. If I'm honest though we are pretty much out of options so I'm praying for a miracle! Over to you MM!

God help us all if we have to rely on Mr slow coach for anything. ?

Oldham don’t have the highest.That honour belongs to the mighty Albion, Boing Boing.

2nd highest, but definately the coldest
from wiki;
Boundary Park is anecdotally known as being the coldest ground in the Football League, earning the nickname coined by Joe Royle, Ice Station Zebra.[6] It is also the second-highest stadium, at 526 feet (155m) above sea level, of any Premier League or Football League club[7] after the Hawthorns, home of West Bromwich Albion, 552 feet (168m)

Back