• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Oldham Athletic v Southend United

Just seen the "highlight's" of yesterday's game again.While I agree with most of your post I can't agree with his.He missed two great chances yesterday -one a 1 on 1 with the keeper.Clearly he's never going to make it as an L1 striker.Granted our problems go far beyond him.Like you, I believe that we're 55/50 to go down.We used to be a decent little club to support.Not any more.The Chairman and the current manager stand on the brink of taking us to our first ever relegation to non-league for the first time in our 105 year history.In God's name go.

But that is my point really, he shouldn't be playing, but that is hardly his fault.

If he were a seasoned pro skinning us for £3,000 a week, I think we could understandably be expecting a lot better.

Clearly he's never going to make it as an L1/2 striker.
I can't agree with that, his type of player doesn't usually even begin to come into their prime till 25ish and they are in relatively short supply so I reckon he can go on to have a career at this level even if he might not be as ready as we need yet.

I can't agree with that, his type of player doesn't usually even begin to come into their prime till 25ish and they are in relatively short supply so I reckon he can go on to have a career at this level even if he might not be as ready as we need yet.

I'm not much of a betting man but I'd quite happily bet that he'll never be offered another contract by a club in L2 (or higher) after his present deal with us is up .Loser pays a tenner to SZ? I expect him to finish his career in the NL .I only hope that we don't join him there.

Mellis,olyinka,ferguson,goodship,holmes,egbri the list goes on!! Any other player then acquah! Just try somthing different!! We tried moshi there and it worked out incredibly well so cant see why it cant or wouldn't work out with one of the players I mentioned.

Maybe that has all been tried out in training and hasn't worked.

I'm not much of a betting man but I'd quite happily bet that he'll never be offered another contract by a club in L2 (or higher) after his present deal with us is up .Loser pays a tenner to SZ? I expect him to finish his career in the NL .I only hope that we don't join him there.
I would take that on I think. Only thing is we'll be fifteen years or so before it could safely be settled!

That's usually how often I bet.Though I think It might be just 10 years (until he's 30 say).

One point to consider is that now that iFollow only offers the home commentary we have heard the opposition's commentators talking about Acquah. Although most of them can't pronounce his name they have by and large praised his efforts and seen him as a threat.

Doesn't mean they are right of course but some of the managers will remember him and take a punt on him if we go down I suspect.

do you remember when young Rush missed a sitter ..... hes gone off somewhere on loan now ..

Anyway our much adored MM has all season or since Dec to cobble together something .. ... but has not come up with anything.

I see the axe has swung for Harry Kewell and it does look as if the Oldham chairman was/is as bad as ours.

I think it is too late for us to try and replace the Learner Drivers we have put in charge of our club but I would rather dish out stick to a grown set of "managers" than to the young men who wear the shirt.

Everyone focuses on the team selection but squad building has also been incompetent both up front and with the goalkeeping situation.

One point to consider is that now that iFollow only offers the home commentary we have heard the opposition's commentators talking about Acquah. Although most of them can't pronounce his name they have by and large praised his efforts and seen him as a threat.

Doesn't mean they are right of course but some of the managers will remember him and take a punt on him if we go down I suspect.

That's a fair point I think.We'll see I suppose.Certainly can't see SUFC ofering him another contract.

do you remember when young Rush missed a sitter ..... hes gone off somewhere on loan now ..

Anyway our much adored MM has all season or since Dec to cobble together something .. ... but has not come up with anything.

I see the axe has swung for Harry Kewell and it does look as if the Oldham chairman was/is as bad as ours.

I think it is too late for us to try and replace the Learner Drivers we have put in charge of our club but I would rather dish out stick to a grown set of "managers" than to the young men who wear the shirt.

Everyone focuses on the team selection but squad building has also been incompetent both up front and with the goalkeeping situation.
The issue is, we’ve replaced real attacking talent like Kelman, Humphrys, Hopper and Cox with ... nobody. We don’t know which strikers MM identified or went for, nor how many turned down Southend. Whatever, I don’t think it’s a case of “MM didn’t bring in a striker”. It’s bigger than that. No chance we’d have let Nile back into the last chance saloon if we weren’t utterly desperate. Having said that, maybe a more experienced manager may have pulled strings, brought in an ex player Sturrock-style, as a favour or on a promise. We won’t ever know. Agreed, no sense blaming Acquah or any other young player but let’s all support our manager too, at least til the end of the season, eh??

Everyone focuses on the team selection but squad building has also been incompetent both up front
and with the goalkeeping situation.

Agreed.At least last time we were in this sort of position we'd appointed Paul Sturrock as manager early doors.He knew what he was doing as the results in his first season and subsequently proved.

Well I'm going to stick my head above the parapet now. Whilst it's understandable that fans are frustrated after the missed opportunity at Oldham, I can see no clinching reason for sacking MM.

1. I can't see any incoming manager doing any better with this group of players. MM has at least got them playing as a team again and seemingly they like him and play for him. They have gained a useful bundle of points

2. MM has assembled a good defence and has got the best out of them. We are difficult to beat now.

3. MM hasn't been able to get in a useful striker, although not for want of trying, and it's too late for any other manager to do so before the end of the season. The club's reputation is toxic within the game due to failure to pay players, the embargoes, dissension among past teams etc. so why would any good strikers want to come to us? Only money would attract them and there ain't no money in the bank, Frank.

3. MM has somehow managed to get us in with a reasonable chance of survival after being forced to play kids for the first tranche of matches. After gaining only six points after 15 games we have gained 23 points from the following 18 games.

4. We are creating many chances each game now - there were 15 shots at Oldham when the home team could only total eight. It's not MM's fault that our forwards hit the woodwork or shoot wide.

5. Our injury hoodoo continues. Why would it change with any other manager?

6. Even if we are relegated I think we should stick with MM. For all his faults and mistakes he has had some success here and he will improve with the experience.

Back