• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
A bit early maybe but It will soon be Saturday, and with it Boundary Park and Oldham Athletic. The Latics are 21[SUP]st[/SUP] in the table occupying one of the ‘drop’ positions on 36 points. Their last 6 games have produced two wins, two losses and two draws in this order DLLWDW. Without a doubt this will be a tough game for the Blues as Oldham will be desperate for the three points to help them get out of the relegation quagmire.

It’s difficult to pre-empt but I reckon Harrison will retain the left hand side position with Marc-Antoine Fortuné returning to partner Coxy up front. That’s not to say that Ladapo had a disaster last Saturday, but Marco has that bit more experience.

So I’m going for:

Oxley
Demetriou Turner Ferdinand Coker
McLaughlin Yearwood Timlin Harrison
Cox Fortuné

With the return to fitness of Josh Wright there is far more strength in depth to the bench as well. I’m an optimist so I’m going for 1-0 to Southend.

Could be a tight game, I imagine Oldham won't be as keen on attacking as Portsmouth were so there won't be as many opportunities for us to counter attack. Hopefully we can nick it 1-0.

My usual pessimistic self can only see a draw at best, but i'm thankfully often wrong and I'll tell you what, despite what I may have said elsewhere, if we win up there I might actually start to believe the play-offs are possible..

So thats put the kybosh on that then.

Make no mistake, this will be a tough one. Oldham desperately need the three points. They acquired an impressive striker from Wolves on loan in the window by the name of Duckens Nozan (sp?)who scored two pretty good goals recently. My brother-in-law is a season ticket holder at Latics and reports that the pitch is poor, a view confirmed by Manager Richie Wellens yesterday. We will need to snap up the chances spurned at Bury according to those who travelled if we are to take the points. This is the second of three visits to Greater Manchester in short order, with the postponed game at Rochdale coming next month. We will need to keep an eye on Gerrard at set pieces. Chris will have some interesting choices to make up front. Can see him keeping the same starting line-up although MAF's better hold up play may push him ahead of Freddie. In some ways it was harsh on MAF not to get the nod on Saturday after he scored a good goal against the victors of Man City. But in SCP we trust.

On the ladapo v MAF selection against pompey I think Sir Chrissy was giving the lad a chance....two starts on the trot etc even though as many have said MAF has been very good lately. Trying to build the confidence of a player desperate for a contract next year.....its man management I believe. Something we have not seen around here for a while.

On the ladapo v MAF selection against pompey I think Sir Chrissy was giving the lad a chance....two starts on the trot etc even though as many have said MAF has been very good lately. Trying to build the confidence of a player desperate for a contract next year.....its man management I believe. Something we have not seen around here for a while.

I also think it is linked to the fact that Harrison played and SCP wants those two to get used to each others play. Hence the first goal.

..........oxley
Demi Turner Anton Coker
Macca yearwood timlin Harrison
.............Cox ladapo
I'd.be tempted with MAF to start with cox...but winning team and all that

..........oxley
Demi Turner Anton Coker
Macca yearwood timlin Harrison
.............Cox ladapo
I'd.be tempted with MAF to start with cox...but winning team and all that

Yep, agree with that. Freddie did ok against tough opposition, don't think Oldham will be as big a threat as Portsmouth were to him. Plus, Marco did just great as a sub and we have more games coming up where he may need to be featured more.

I've just read Powell's comments on Harrison in the Echo. The tone of it was such that I would be absolutely amazed in he doesn't start on the left on Saturday.

I suspect SCP has a good idea of the line up he wants to put out at Boundary Park. Judging by his brief dip into the transfer market, and his selections thus far, it looks as though he is eyeing the future. I don't believe Harrison, despite him being a talent, is the answer when it comes to the left wing and I sensed McL may not have enjoyed being stuck on the right without the option of interchanging. With the current injuries it may be something changed or resolved at a later date.

The midfield two, of Timms and Dru, have worked well enough to conclude that if it ain't broken don't fix it. Clearly, barring injuries, Oxley and the back four are SCP's first choice and he is unlikely to tinker there. The only remaining question is the two up top. I much admire and appreciate Fortune's game but I would definitely stick with Ladapo and coax the best from him. MAFF will make a perfect sub as Freddie tires. Cox is a shoo-in.

Agree that after SCP's ringing endorsement in the Echo, Harrison is a certain starter on Saturday, barring injury. And most likely wide out too. Well done Rab for the "co(a)x" too!

Agree that after SCP's ringing endorsement in the Echo, Harrison is a certain starter on Saturday, barring injury. And most likely wide out too. Well done Rab for the "co(a)x" too!

I will take the plaudits but it was quite unintentional. :smile:

I suspect SCP has a good idea of the line up he wants to put out at Boundary Park. Judging by his brief dip into the transfer market, and his selections thus far, it looks as though he is eyeing the future. I don't believe Harrison, despite him being a talent, is the answer when it comes to the left wing and I sensed McL may not have enjoyed being stuck on the right without the option of interchanging. With the current injuries it may be something changed or resolved at a later date.

The midfield two, of Timms and Dru, have worked well enough to conclude that if it ain't broken don't fix it. Clearly, barring injuries, Oxley and the back four are SCP's first choice and he is unlikely to tinker there. The only remaining question is the two up top. I much admire and appreciate Fortune's game but I would definitely stick with Ladapo and coax the best from him. MAFF will make a perfect sub as Freddie tires. Cox is a shoo-in.
I can’t imagine for one minute that a player with Harrison’s obvious ability would have any problem playing on the other wing for however long.

I can’t imagine for one minute that a player with Harrison’s obvious ability would have any problem playing on the other wing for however long.

You may be right but we are yet to see it. Possibly it was done for Harrison to get used to the wing, without having to master it both sides, first time up. However, I can see SCP likes the wide men to cut in, but on occasion it is nice to see a winger hit the byline and whip in a cross using his natural kicking peg. That's one bonus of interchanging, best of both worlds, and also to see if the winger can get more change from the other opposing full back.

Another factor perhaps to bear in mind is that Latics were not engaged last Saturday, last playing a week ago when we played Bury. These enforced breaks can sometimes work against the team affected, although here the break is not a whole fortnight and so may not play such a significant part. Can give players more time to recover, although I gather Eoin Doyle will probably not be fit enough to play for Latics.

Good point, I can't help but think we are going to face them at the wrong time, that 11 day break will do them some good in terms of players recovering. Looking at their forum, I think they have selection problems at left back (I presume through injury).

Despite their league position, I think this will be a real tricky one. Like us, they seem to have re-found their form again lately with a 2-2 draw against Blackburn and wins against Bradford as well as Mk Dons.

I hope for a win (as always), but think it will end up being a score draw.

Either way I can't wait to get this game underway, I don't know if it's just me & that this week is just slowly dragging on, but it feels like an eternity since our fantastic win against Portsmouth on Saturday.

UTB

I presume we (Southend United fans) will be in the home end again (as we have been the last couple of visits).

And we have won there for the last couple of seasons - including a lovely 5-2 win - with players such as Payne, Mooney, Atko, Prosser (oh yes) and Worrall all scoring (interesting to note that all 5 have moved on). Last season we won 2-0 at their gaff with goals from Ranger and McGlashan to move us up to 7th in the league.

Oldham had a crowd of less than 4,000 for their last home game. Not good for them at all.

I would imagine a similar crowd of around 4,000 on Saturday, they normally average around 3,700 home fans for a game, if we take 280 odd like we did last season. Considering their league position, It could well be another high end 3K attendance.

Like you say, not good at all. Especially for League One football.

In hindsight, I feel blessed to have the "Roots Hall Faithful".... I can't recall in the last few years when we played a league match with a total attendance of less than 4,000?

Back