• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Oldham by election

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-35003152

A black eye for UKIP methinks,in more than one way.

Also (and more important) a ringing endorsement of Jeremy Corbyn's Labour party.

Even the Lib Dems had great success in by elections in the past, but couldn't translate that success in general elections.

Obviously it's a good result for Labour, but in the long run it may not really mean a lot: it could just be a standard protest vote, especially as this is a safe Labour seat anyway.

Hardly a "ringing endorsement" for Corbyn, the candidate is known as a Labour 'moderate' and not a Corbynista. It's just proof that there are still plenty of people in the north who will vote red no matter what, and that Labour can rely on the voters it imported into the country last time they were in power.

UKIP has accused Labour of abusing the postal vote system. Will be interesting to see how that pans out - wouldn't be the first time...

Hardly a "ringing endorsement" for Corbyn, the candidate is known as a Labour 'moderate' and not a Corbynista. It's just proof that there are still plenty of people in the north who will vote red no matter what, and that Labour can rely on the voters it imported into the country last time they were in power.

UKIP has accused Labour of abusing the postal vote system. Will be interesting to see how that pans out - wouldn't be the first time...

100% agree with your every word.

Think it is a touch of sour grapes there from UKIP but it does bring up an interesting argument about the postal vote in general. I believe they should only be for people who genuinely cannot attend the polling station i.e Armed forces, Rig workers etc, not anybody else. It does appear from the outset that this may not have been the case in this by-election.

The main issue I have with it is this, Many of these votes (Upto 20% of the total turnout in this case) are cast before campaigning has even begun and in my view that is wrong and undemocratic.

Nice to see there not to concerned with Green issues in Oldham....249 votes

Think it is a touch of sour grapes there from UKIP but it does bring up an interesting argument about the postal vote in general. I believe they should only be for people who genuinely cannot attend the polling station i.e Armed forces, Rig workers etc, not anybody else. It does appear from the outset that this may not have been the case in this by-election.

The main issue I have with it is this, Many of these votes (Upto 20% of the total turnout in this case) are cast before campaigning has even begun and in my view that is wrong and undemocratic.

Postal voting is open to abuse and must stopped ASAP.

A lot of elderly and infirm people use postal votes, those who work away from home, students. There is the case of misreprensenation, but you have that when you vote in person. You don't need any ID, just a name & address. Anyone can fake that.

A lot of elderly and infirm people use postal votes, those who work away from home, students. There is the case of misreprensenation, but you have that when you vote in person. You don't need any ID, just a name & address. Anyone can fake that.

I agree but that is not the issue. The issue is as I stated of the undemocratic way that a seat can be decided even before campaigning has begun. The whole system needs a huge rethink I feel..

As posted before, Labour was damned if they won and damned if lost

An increase in % win is a success in any party eyes, and a great result in by elections which are normally down on voters

Once again JC keeps a low profile and enjoys success, as my dads says and it rings true especially on here

Empty vessels make most noise

UTS

From the Electoral Commission 2014 report regarding fraud:

We do not recommend restricting the availability of postal voting in Great
Britain. The impact on the overwhelming majority of electors who find postal
voting a convenient and secure method of voting would not be proportionate
to the potential integrity benefits.

You'd 've been quick to condemn Labour if they'd lost or done poorly in Oldham.

As it is you (and quite a few others )are going to have to wait quite a while before you can write off JC.

That may be true, but it won't have anything to do with Oldham, and it might not be as long as you expect.

As it happens my dad (a lifelong Labour member until recently) reckons Corduroy will be ousted by a PLP coup. Personally I'm not so sure. If he's still around, he'll lose the next General Election, and will then either go or be forced out.

The question you have to therefore ask yourself is what's worse, a slightly more right wing (i.e. centre left) Labour Party or the tories?

From the 2011 census for Oldham:

'Ethnic Minority (non-white) population share increased from 13.9% (2001) to 22.5%(2011), a significantly greater change than nationally. Oldham has relatively large Pakistani (10.1%) and Bangladeshi (7.3%) populations, but other groups are proportionately smaller than nationally.'

Not really a fertile ground for UKIP I would fancy.

'Ethnic Minority (non-white) population share increased from 13.9% (2001) to 22.5%(2011), a significantly greater change than nationally. Oldham has relatively large Pakistani (10.1%) and Bangladeshi (7.3%) populations, but other groups are proportionately smaller than nationally.'

Betcha most of the minority groups came here under the Labour government!

Are you suggesting that where the white British population are exposed to the effects of immigration they actually end up supporting it?

Back