• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Saturday's match against Oldham will be refereed by the experienced official, Phil Crossley, from Kent.

This would be his seventh season as a League referee but as he missed all of last season through injury, I guess it's really his sixth. The two previous seasons were both interrupted by longish spells out too, but this season he has, thus far, been an ever present.

His injuries came at a bad time as he was on the verge of breaking into the upper echelons of refereeing having been given a couple of Premiership matches, the FA Vase Final and the Womens FA Cup Final. He also did the League One play off final when a scandalous decision robbed Hartlepool of a place in the Championship which went to Sheffield Wednesday instead. He was also 4th Official for the Liverpool/Chelsea Carling Cup Final.

Even more prestigiously, he refereed Dougie Freedman's testimonial at Palace earlier this year.

His return to refereeing has been marked by steady performances and few cards (approx 2 yellows per game and 2 reds in 14 matches).

He has been a lucky referee for Southend over the years, but if we don't play twenty times better than we did Tuesday, lucky referee or not, we'll get nothing out of the game.

This will be his eighth Southend match and we have five wins and two draws from the previous ones. This is largely due to the fact that only one, Cambridge A 2002/3 (1-1), was away from home.

Probably the most significant of those home matches was the 2-2 draw with Bristol Rovers to give us the aggregate LDV win. Most recent was the 3-2 League Cup win over Brighton, a match which was 1-0 to Brighton with about 4 mins to go.

Assisting will be Matt Foley from Berkshire and Mike McCoy from West Sussex with Simon Long from Suffolk performing 4th Official duties.

What's he like with back-chat Mick?

What I mean is, by way of random example, say there was a certain player, oft guilty of talking himself into a referee's notebook, returning to his former club with passions running high? Could such a player find himself in trouble?

What's he like with back-chat Mick?

What I mean is, by way of random example, say there was a certain player, oft guilty of talking himself into a referee's notebook, returning to his former club with passions running high? Could such a player find himself in trouble?

Maher played in all seven of those matches and was only cautioned in the away match. So I guess he can't be ever so strong on backchat. Don't know what views he holds on causing death by dangerous driving, though ..... to pick an equally random offence.

He was, I believe, also one of the Assistant on that fateful Bank Holiday in 2001 when Mike North died.

Back