• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
In charge of tomorrow's match with Oldham we have the dead hand of dead-eyed Darren Deadman, from Chatteris, Cambridgeshire. He is a civil servant, specifically a public transport officer for Peterborough City Council.

In his eleventh season as a League referee he has notched up well over 1200 yellow cards. His red card count has been above average too.

We have been lucky enough to avoid him for over 3 years with his last Southend match being the goalless and (unusually) cardless match at Fleetwood in 2012/13 when he did not endear himself to the travelling supporters by appearing to make a rude gesture towards them. Probably no ruder than what they were shouting at him though as, by all accounts another poor performance from him.

Before that his last couple of Southend matches have been nothing like as bad as some of his matches although the last one (Aldershot away 2011/12, 2nd attempt) we were so awful anyone would seem not too bad in comparison. The previous one, also that season, was one of his better ones (or should that be less bad?) and also one of our better ones as we beat Torquay at home 4-1.

Before that he showed 9 yellow cards in a staggering display of incompetence in 2009/10 at home to MK Dons. As it happens, we probably benefited from this abject performance. Our four yellows went to Barrett, Grant, Cristophe and Barnard.

Based on most previous experience of watching Mr Deadman, expect unnecessary cautions and a few puzzling decisions all delivered with an iritating style. He was once suspended for two weeks for allowing one too many substitutions in a pre-season friendly - hardly his biggest crime against football.

I have seem him have a few decent games but generally I find he has no empathy with the game, is needlessly picky and arrogant to boot. He referees to the letter of the Laws and too many games I've seen have been spoilt as a consequence.

Refereed us 8 times before. Before the above-mentioned matches it was in 2008/9 away to Brighton, where those of you with binoculars would have seen him caution Dervite and Sankofa. The season before that at home to Northampton (1-1 just 2 yellows), Preston at home the year before that (0-0 6 yellows) and the year before that at home to Swansea (1-2 7 yellows). He also did our 4-3 away win at Chesterfield that year when he sent off their defender for being unwittingly struck by the ball some way from goal.

This season the cards are well down to a very average 97 yellows and 3 reds from 32 matches and his Championship appointments have increased dramatically. I suppose he might have improved.

His assistants will be Chris Pollard from Stowmarket whose father was a linesman at the 1999 League Cup Final at Wembley and Neil Davies from London. Fourth Official is Dan Robothan, ex driving instructor and now CEO of Bedfordshire FA.

Last edited:
CgVDydAW8AEiow_.jpg

Do you know what.

I thought the ref was excellent last night.

Very tall, though. Like Paul Whicker!

Love that photo, above. You can tell he works for the council! :winking:

To be fair, I thought he generally did ok too. Gulled a bit by the "throwing themselves on the ground" tactics, particularly by Oldham's no. 11, but not too bad.

Back