• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Grimsby Town 0-0 Southend United

But that's where your wrong.
He DID have complaints, and booked White and McCormack as a result because he can.
One late tackle from either and we would have lost a player for Tuesday.
I'm not defending the ref, who was poor.
I'm saying that constantly arguing with a buffoon like that is counter productive.
You really think it made Grimsby think twice?

I think most of us know the ref booked White and Maccca because "he can". Pity he never booked pl;ayers when he should rather than can.

Neither did make a stupid challenge to get a second yellow but done a good job in forcing there ref to protect their players, otherwise Grimsby would have just carried on getting worse with each tackle. Captain and senior pro taking one for the protection of their team. Which is why they must be resigned until at least May.

Someone else said on here that we were bullied off the ball. That may have been the case 3 months ago but not yesterday. Booted, elbowed and studded off the ball but not bullied, there is a clear difference.

They should use a couple of those tackles as part of the selection process for refs. Before they do anything else, ask the candidates their opinion on say that hack just below the knee on the far side. If you cant see thats a clear yellow, in fact pushing towards the guidance for a red..... Then the applicant should be told no thanks, you have to have enough understanding of the game to at least protect the players. Sorry mate but we suggest you take up basket weaving on a Saturday afternoon because football is not for you.

That aside a few of us had talked in the summer of a weekender in Grimsby (comedy factor)as well as Barrow etc.....Grimsby in January with both teams at the bottom and on that pitch....The only thing missing is the worst ref in the league to complete the misery.

I think most of us know the ref booked White and Maccca because "he can". Pity he never booked pl;ayers when he should rather than can.

Neither did make a stupid challenge to get a second yellow but done a good job in forcing there ref to protect their players, otherwise Grimsby would have just carried on getting worse with each tackle. Captain and senior pro taking one for the protection of their team. Which is why they must be resigned until at least May.

Someone else said on here that we were bullied off the ball. That may have been the case 3 months ago but not yesterday. Booted, elbowed and studded off the ball but not bullied, there is a clear difference.

They should use a couple of those tackles as part of the selection process for refs. Before they do anything else, ask the candidates their opinion on say that hack just below the knee on the far side. If you cant see thats a clear yellow, in fact pushing towards the guidance for a red..... Then the applicant should be told no thanks, you have to have enough understanding of the game to at least protect the players. Sorry mate but we suggest you take up basket weaving on a Saturday afternoon because football is not for you.

That aside a few of us had talked in the summer of a weekender in Grimsby (comedy factor)as well as Barrow etc.....Grimsby in January with both teams at the bottom and on that pitch....The only thing missing is the worst ref in the league to complete the misery.

It would have been worth it for the haddock........

Really want Grimsby to go down. Cynical dirty team. Possibly all the qualities to stay up in this division. We've now lost 2 players Clifford and Olayinka (I suspect he'll be out for weeks) to a player running behind and the fouled player inexplicably falling to the ground clutching his ankle or calf. What me ref don't know what happened there. Completely cynical. They knew exactly what they were doing, just like the **** who took out Green and put the end to his time here. We played all the football. We will never fall as low as Grimsby.

All that it is bad about League 2 football was on show today and not just at Grimsby. Grimsby were abysmal - kicking us off the park.
Oxley had one shot to deal with - in the first half from 25 yards straight at him. We still don’t have a cutting edge as their keeper had just one save to make right at the end when he showed great anticipation.

We couldn’t afford to lose and didn’t however anyone thinking our current form is promotion form is deluded.

This standard in this division is appalling. Between them the 18 sides playing today managed 11 goal and two of them were own goals managing just 59 shots on target in total. That’s an average of three shots each. Goalkeepers have such an easy life these days.

20 goal striker - as rare as a penny black. Has anyone seen a player under 30 in any side that has impressed them/ excited them this season and produced the goods. The only one I can remember is Wilkinson at Orient

The pitches aren’t going to get any drier either for a few weeks.
Its going to be a long old slog.

It wont help if we are without Demi , during tough times, Thought he had a very good game today actually, but how many yellows is that now ? and is that the third for yet again kicking the ball away, Rather silly if we lose him for yet more petulant and unnecessary time wasting from our ex International Captain. We were on top and starting to look like a Molesley side that scores late on?

Not an excuse but a few minutes earlier their player went unpunished for throwing the ball away to waste time.

One of the worst games I've watched this season - as others have said, the state of the pitch, the awfulness of the ref and the tactics employed by Grimsby being the main reasons. I watched without any commentary, which was actually quite refreshing, and more like watching actually at a game!

I am sick to death of seeing Demetriou and Sam Hart over every dead ball or corner we get - it's a waste of a man. Yes, it's fine every now and then but not necessary every time, and Grimsby soon worked out the corner routine. Demitriou isn't even actually any good at dead balls in my honest opinion.

After some excellent performances, Dieng seemed a shadow of the player he's been recently, not sure he really knew where he was supposed to be playing, the formation seemed a bit odd.

Gutting to have lost Olayinka after a bad challenge, think he's been a shining talent but, having said that, the pitch didn't really suit any of the creative players. Reeco is so left footed it's untrue, so why did we persist with playing him down the right throughout? I think he's clearly got ability and I'd love to have seen it used on the left. Why aren't they swapping like McLaughlin used to?

I'd have actually liked to see Richard Taylor come on to give their CHs something different to worry about as Akinola didn't seem to be getting much joy, but understood the battening down the hatches to protect the point attitude of the later 2nd half. I don't understand why we made so few substitutions on such a difficult pitch.

I thought the defence played well collectively, and Oxley looks so much more confident and assured. Well done to all of them.

I thought we really missed Egbri and hope it won't be too long before he's back in the squad, his nimble feet would have danced over that mud and we might have got something against tired legs.

Oxley - 7, solid and confident
Bwomono - 7, better from Elvis
White - 7, solid
Hobson - 8, my MOTM, confident and assured throughout
Hart - 7.5, same as the others, solid, plus some good crossing
Reeco - 7, good 1st half
Demetriou - 7, runs around a lot
Olayinka - 7, showed promise and ability before unfortunate injury
Dieng - 6.5, not his best day
ANG - 7.5, thought he looked quite a threat at times
Akinola - 6.5, ditto Dieng, not his fault, just didn't get any change out of their CHs

Subs:
Macca for Olayinka - 6.5, thought he was holding back a bit in all honesty, don't blame him for that.

Officials - the ref had a shocker, but I think we expected that from what we already knew about him.

Last edited:
Not an excuse but a few minutes earlier their player went unpunished for throwing the ball away to waste time.

Yes , I agree, totally inconsistent and ludicrous referee, I commented early in the game on just how many fouls they were doing and getting away with

However because ITK made a good point about the likelihood or possibility that it might not be unusual for midfielders , to collect 6 bookings, I did take a little look, and I can confirm Demi is outstanding. Whats worse though is whilst the average might be two yellows and there are a few players on 4 or 5 yellows, my guess is a good proportion are not for non stop petulance and repeated silly stuff like keep booting the ball away or non stop chirping

Demi likes to get over when he can to MM during the match, thats a good boy thing to do, and presumably helps carry the voice onto the pitch, but maybe MM could equally have a little word in the shell like and suggest just for this once, please dont kick the ball away again, like a five year old throwing a wobbler

What do you think then?
I think he's played better.
He looked leggy and there was one first-half moment when a routine right-foot clearance became a left-foot shank that gave them a corner.
At set pieces, I don't remember him getting a head on a ball, as he'd done in the past.
Don't get me wrong.
He's ten times better than the dithering wreck that ended the 4-0 thumping by Harrogate, but yesterday wasn't his finest.

Making a last-ditch tackle and getting a yellow is 'taking one for the team': not constant berating.
I agree, a reaction is natural to a bad tackle on one of yours, but to go at it all the time is going to have only one consequence.
Demi and Macca are not impervious to getting cards, and another pointless one gets them closer to a suspension, probably when we need them most.
As for criticism of the ref, I agree as before.

I fully believed we were going to get a vital three points yesterday, in normal circumstaces I'm sure we would have done. Seeing the terrible state of the pitch, the way our hosts played and the feeble referee a point was acceptable. The likelihood was always that, if a goal came, it would be from a mistake caused by the conditions. We held very firm and offered them very little. The thought has crossed my mind that, disappointed though we would have all been, it could have been a blessing in disguise if the game had been called off. I'm sure with a re-arranged match, a different official and a reasonable playing surface we'd have played these cynical cloggers off the pitch. Importantly we probably would have been able to feature a talanted Olayinka in the line-up, something I fear we won't have in the future. That could prove a bigger loss than the two points we were forced to sacrifice.

Yes , I agree, totally inconsistent and ludicrous referee, I commented early in the game on just how many fouls they were doing and getting away with

However because ITK made a good point about the likelihood or possibility that it might not be unusual for midfielders , to collect 6 bookings, I did take a little look, and I can confirm Demi is outstanding. Whats worse though is whilst the average might be two yellows and there are a few players on 4 or 5 yellows, my guess is a good proportion are not for non stop petulance and repeated silly stuff like keep booting the ball away or non stop chirping

Demi likes to get over when he can to MM during the match, thats a good boy thing to do, and presumably helps carry the voice onto the pitch, but maybe MM could equally have a little word in the shell like and suggest just for this once, please dont kick the ball away again, like a five year old throwing a wobbler
I'm glad you looked up some stats. JDs played a lot of minutes and I still think if Macca played the same minutes he's probably be in a similar position. I like both of them continuing as they are. Some Zoners like maccas antics with the sand in the hair stuff and some don't. Same with JD. It's all opinions and views.
However, whilst i'm not condoning the chirping time wasting, it does play quite a part in today's game. I don't like it any more than you, but if you just allow the opposition to do it, which they all do, you simply end up becoming the victims and moaning how they grabbed a last minute winner, or why a player wasn't booked earlier. The rules are ashamedly simple.... Don't allow yourselves to get bullied or youll keep being bullied.... by players and refs!

Not usually someone who looks at stats outside of work , but have taken a look. Seems many sites aren't kept up to date.
When JD had 4 bookings it appears he was 57th in league 2 of most points for yellows and reds. Wouldn't call that outstanding.
I found a site showing him on 5 yellows (again not kept up to date it appears) - he was far from alone on 5 yellows in league 2. It's certainly clear that defensive mids and full backs are the most booked. It's also evident that he hasn't been sent off and when looking at the bigger crime of that and the cost to a team during a game and the points notched up, he walks the disciplinary line quite well compared to some others.
So.....Whilst agreeing with some views about the amount of nagging and 'professional' time wasting, Ive justified my thoughts (for my own benefit) that he's not prominent when it comes to yellows and I hope JW, JD, and macca stay as they are

The state of a very narrow pitch coupled with a team given a game plan to stop the rot of defeats by simply playing Sunday league style clogging led to one of the most dire games for a long time.To think Paul Hurst was a name associated with us.....if that's his style poor Grimsby!.
Not sure if MM had a eye on this week's games regarding some selections.Also some players seemed to holding back to avoid injury from the Mariners kamikaze squad and the cabbage patch.
The only positives are we didn't lose,and look so much solid as a defensive unit.
My only worry is we still lack that proven goalscorer which cost us so dear earlier in the season

Back