• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News On loan QPR defender Deon Woodman on his Southend United loan spell

DEON Woodman is keen to make a big impression with Southend United.

The on-loan Queens Park Rangers defender - who is six foot five inches tall - made an impressive full debut for the Shrimpers in Tuesday night's 2-0 win against Dorking Wanderers.
And the 21-year-old is now seeking more of the same at Hartlepool United tomorrow.
"It was a really good feeling on Tuesday night," said Woodman.
"For me I just wanted to prove what I can do and I'd like to think I did that.

"Hopefully I can push on from there and keep performing now.
"Saturday will be good.
"I know it's a long journey but I'm excited to go there trying to get three points."
Woodman's display helped Blues end a run of six matches without a clean sheet.
And he already feels settled with the Shrimpers.
"I've really enjoyed it and it's been good," said Woodman.

"The lads are sound, the area is good and everything about it is just so chilled out so I really like it.
"I've been out on loan before and that's helped because I know what to expect from men's football now.
"It's good to get a taste for real football and I want to try and get more now."
Woodman spent time with Dulwich Hamlet last season before also having a short spell with Wealdstone last month.
And Woodman cannot believe the level of support coming the way of the Shrimpers.
"It's mad," said Woodman.
"I haven't experienced this level of support in the National League before.
"It's absolutely bonkers but I like playing my football in front of fans who are dedicated to the club and that's definitely the case here.

"I want to go out and perform for them."
Woodman has joined Blues for an initial month long loan following injuries to Ollie Kensdale and Harry Taylor.
And he is finally starting to achieve the ambitions he set himself this season.
"I had a good pre-season with QPR and played two games with the first team," said Woodman.
"I got injured in August and wasn't back until November time.
"Coming back for me I wanted to get a loan sorted to play so it's better late than never."
But it is not just defensively where Woodman looked assured for the Shrimpers as he was also comfortable bringing the ball forward.
And that stems from him playing further forward in his youth.
"When I was younger I was a striker but as I slowly grew it was best I went centre-back," said Woodman.
"I've kept the sharpness and I feel like I'm quite quick for my height too.
"I changed to centre-back and it just clicked.
"But I definitely prefer keeping the ball and staying calm because otherwise you're defending more and that can get tiring."

I thought he made an encouraging debut little rash at times and got pulled out of position but looked pretty solid and was good on the ball

I was a bit disappointed that he seemed disinclined to shoot from distance.

Perhaps the crowd might help with this. Would a rousing chorus of "SHOOT!" from the stands do the trick, do you think ?

Personally thought he was lucky not to get booked sooner. Was more content wrestling in the 1st half than defending, unless that's what they teach at QPR.

I'm sure in the first half he literally threw a Dorking player to the floor right in front of the East lino. Marc Wright was quite rightly incensed.

Looks quite accomplished with the ball at his feet and not afraid to bring it forward

Personally thought he was lucky not to get booked sooner. Was more content wrestling in the 1st half than defending, unless that's what they teach at QPR.

I'm sure in the first half he literally threw a Dorking player to the floor right in front of the East lino. Marc Wright was quite rightly incensed.

Looks quite accomplished with the ball at his feet and not afraid to bring it forward
Sums up his game v Dorking quite accurately I thought

Back