• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

On-Road Parking

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
We don't have off road parking and therefore are reliant on parking in the road. With the advent of lockdown on-road parking has become a nightmare as, with the exception of us, most houses have at least two cars, and the total for the two houses immediately to our left, and one to our right, is 9 cars! I had hoped that with the easing of lockdown the issue would ease off, but not a bit of it, if anything, it's got worse. It's almost got to the point where folk are wary of going out in case they lose their parking spot(s). The only solution for us is to convert our front garden to a parking area and have a 'council approved' drop kerb. Early estimates on that lot are around £5/6k. Of course, we could move house, but that's a step to far.

Anyone else having the same problem?

It’s horrendous down my road. I have off road parking and so do a lot of the others. When we bought the house it had one part concrete for one car parking. We have two cars but there is a grass bit next to it which I have had to utilise. It has wrecked the grass and in the winter I had to park in the road to stop the risk of getting stuck when leaving for work at 3am.

On Friday we’ve had the driveway started to get done. Once it’s done we will have the ability to get 3 big or 4 small cars on the drive. It’s much needed as the road is a nightmare. Because we can’t park on the drive both cars are now in the road. Come Monday it will be a nightmare with my neighbour having his roof being done, his neighbour having workmen sorting his garden and one on the corner having their massive extension someday finished.

We do have a few neighbours who are dicks about it. I noticed one having a right dirty look at the wife’s car which is always on the drive. It can’t be now because there is no drive. This was because it was parked in what she sees as ‘her space’. I’ve seen people run out when a car has moved to move theirs. It’s ****ing pathetic. The lesbian chuckle brothers who live in the annex at the back of one of their mums garden are the worst. They have a classic Golf (it’s not even a nice one) that they’ve moved from where it used to sit and parked it in the road so no one else can park there. It hasn’t moved for months.

By Wednesday at the earliest it’ll all be good, I’ll have my new driveway and I can have guests round without them having to park a mile up the road. But the road is a nightmare and people are pathetic when it comes to the possession of a piece of road that isn’t theirs!

Reactions: RHB
Think it is the same wherever you live these days and most households now have at least two cars.
I live in a small cul-de-sac but I still have some knobs of neighbours who think because they can’t park outside their own house they feel it is perfectly alright to park across my driveway with the car on it and all because they are just too lazy to walk a little extra.
People will always be territorial outside their homes and believe that space directly outside is theirs (I do anyway) but I often have a nightmare as I am required to undertake home visits with my job and sometimes parking is a nightmare.

Think it is the same wherever you live these days and most households now have at least two cars.
I live in a small cul-de-sac but I still have some knobs of neighbours who think because they can’t park outside their own house they feel it is perfectly alright to park across my driveway with the car on it and all because they are just too lazy to walk a little extra.
People will always be territorial outside their homes and believe that space directly outside is theirs (I do anyway) but I often have a nightmare as I am required to undertake home visits with my job and sometimes parking is a nightmare.

We live in a small cul-del-sac too and pay a small annual charge to SC council to keep the driveway free.Fortunately, it's illegal to park on the driveway side of the road (and nobody does it anyway). Parking on the other side of the street is restricted for about half the road (including our bit).Our next door neighbour (but never us) has occasionally phoned up to call up a tow truck to remove people who park opposite her (especially on Sundays when there's a busy open- air antique market at the end of our street.

We live in a small cul-del-sac too and pay a small annual charge to SC council to keep the driveway free.Fortunately, it's illegal to park on the driveway side of the road (and nobody does it anyway). Parking on the other side of the street is restricted for about half the road (including our bit).Our next door neighbour (but never us) has occasionally phoned up to call up a tow truck to remove people who park opposite her (especially on Sundays when there's a busy open- air antique market at the end of our street.
Sounds a bit of a nightmare tbh. Is your road permit parking?
On the plus side because I Nurse in the community as well Southend Council has given me a permit to park in permit areas and I have free council parking but only while on duty and only until mid-August

Sounds a bit of a nightmare tbh. Is your road permit parking?
On the plus side because I Nurse in the community as well Southend Council has given me a permit to park in permit areas and I have free council parking but only while on duty and only until mid-August

Not really.No permit parking either but as I said you can park legally (on one side) in about half the street)Seems to work quite well ,as people are generally pretty responsible (nobody's yet parked their car on our side of the driveway thus blocking us in,for example).Forget to mention at the other end of our cul-del- sac (Catalan spelling :Winking: ) there's a small nursery school which can get quite busy from September, so our street gets quite busy a couple of times a day.

Yeah I'd heard about the free parking at hospitals for key workers until until the end of August.Surely that will be revised in present conditions?

One of my friends moved into a new house and ended up having an argument with his neighbour who insisted on parking outside my friend's house, not his own. In fairness, his cars were on his drive. Outside my friend's house was his glider plane. I think my friend actually had a point on this occasion!

I live on a narrow road, and you can park both sides. Lots of driveways, means people do have to use both sides. The problem is as the road is so narrow, people have to park with 2 wheels up the kirb, but the pavement is plenty wide enough still for pedestrians, prams, buggies or mobility scooters. Otherwise, emergency vehicles can't get past. Lots of elderly around here, so ambulances are up and down all the time. In the past they have knocked on peoples doors when cars are parked correctly, but leaving no room. A Paramedic even told my neighbour he should park up the kirb next time. Now the council have said they will ticket anyone parking up the kirb.

One of my friends moved into a new house and ended up having an argument with his neighbour who insisted on parking outside my friend's house, not his own. In fairness, his cars were on his drive. Outside my friend's house was his glider plane. I think my friend actually had a point on this occasion!

Used to have some good friends in Begues (nearly an hour's drive from Barna).Every day a high ranking Guardia Urbana official parked outside their bungalow (They live quite some way from the centre of their village and the copshop).When my mate's partner insisted that he needed to be able to access his garage after coming back late from work the guy pulled out his Police ID.Motto don't argue with a cop.

Back