• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

On the 3rd of November 2003.....

Stability or Roller Coaster?

• Stability every time

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I wouldn't have missed it for the world

Votes: 61 91.0%
  • Bart

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

A Century United

Firewalking for HD
Ron Martin sacked Steve Wignall. We had just been beaten 0-1 at home by Northampton, and we were 23rd in League 2.

Simple question: If at that point someone had offered you:

6 successive years of mid-table League 2 football, financial stability (players paid on time, etc) and the foundations of a brand new whatever-sized stadium starting in the summer of 2010, or

the 6 years we've just had, with Freddy, Double promotion, 3 trips to the Mil Stad, League 1 Title, Man U, Championship footie, Chelsea but financial meltdown and relegation to League 2 - but still with the prospect of a Shinny (sic) stadium starting in 2010

which would you rather have had?

Simple question, not needing another debate about "it was all Tilly not Ron", "we don't need 22,000", "I'd rather stay at Roots Hall" etc - just the point I've asked.

:)

wouldnt change a thing, I can remember many a turbulent time during the last twenty six years and long may it continue, it is not always good supporting SUFC but it is never ever boring

Life is full of ups and downs but you need to down moments to appreciate the good times, I have been following Southend for nearly 35 years now and the last 6 have probably provided a vast majority of my favourite memories and you cant take those away. Beating a Man Utd team team complete with Rooney, Ronaldo and Evra is probably something I will never ever forget

We live the journey together! Through ups and downs we all still come out of it as passionate Southend United fans who all want the best for their team. Each individual has their own ideas and values but we all unite as one when we get behind the team and cheer them onto victory something that we all want for Southend no matter how it comes about.

As TB says, if we hadnt had any success our attendances would never have grown.

The highs were worth it to raise the profile of the club.

Trouble is in 2003, we were told the shiny new stadium would be finished by 2008. Its now 2010 and not even started!

However the last 6 years have been pretty good.

Trouble is in 2003, we were told the shiny new stadium would be finished by 2008. Its now 2010 and not even started!

However the last 6 years have been pretty good.

But to be fair, we weren't told about the Credit Crunch either. In fact, wasn't it about then that Chancellor Brown was proclaiming "The End of Boom and Bust."?

But to be fair, we weren't told about the Credit Crunch either. In fact, wasn't it about then that Chancellor Brown was proclaiming "The End of Boom and Bust."?

Gordon Brown said "I've abolished Boom and Bust". It's amazing how misleading those extra two words were.
I've loved the last 6 years with SUFC but a bit of stability on the financial front wouldn't be unwelcome now.

Life is full of ups and downs but you need to down moments to appreciate the good times, I have been following Southend for nearly 35 years now and the last 6 have probably provided a vast majority of my favourite memories and you cant take those away. Beating a Man Utd team team complete with Rooney, Ronaldo and Evra is probably something I will never ever forget

Spot on...my philosophy exactly :clap:

When I was a youngster and even late into my teens, a Southend loss ruined my weekend and affected my puberty affected mood swings.

It still means the world to me nowadays at 28, but you realise that in football (much with life) you have to experience the bad times to really appreciate the good times when they come round.

How easy would it be to live life as a plastic armchair supporter watching Chelsea or Man Utd on tv and having such a bad half an hour after a rare loss.....well at least until X Factor starts ;)

For me, these past 6 years have been amazing to experience with my local club. Victories over Col Ewe, LDV runs, Man Utd win, Spurs efforts, Chelsea games, Play offs, Going toe to toe with the likes of Leeds and Forest, our amazing Title success.....wow, wouldn't have missed that for the world!

Up the Blues!

I would vote for the **** to not be playing with our club like a chess piece. **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****

Ups & Downs

As a life long fan I've come to accept I support an unfashionable club. I've watched games when we were 23rd in the 4th Division and worried about going out the league, I've also seen the big games and even dreamed about the First Division,Premier League or getting to the League or FA Cup. How many team's supporters can say that. I come back to England 2 or 3 times a year and work my visits around the Shrimpers games.

It would be easier and more predictable to follow Chelsea. No way! It's going down to the last game of the season, trust me.

Life is full of ups and downs but you need to down moments to appreciate the good times,

Good point. Look at ManUre fans now. 3 straight Prem titles, Champs league quarters minimum every year, sell outs every home game and they are campaigning to get rid of the owners.

Back