• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

On the Bright side......

Richard_Cadette

The Realist
Whilst taking my 2.5 year old on a rather long walk yesterday, I decided to try and educate him in the culture of my beloved SUFC..... I am pleased to report, that by the end of the walk, he was coherently, and rather loudly, chanting SEA, SEA, SEASIDERS walking down Green Lane in Eastwood!!

This was preceeded with hi giving me an S and an O and a U and a T, H and E and an N and a D, UNI, TED..... Southend...... we didn't quite get the United!!

The seeds have well and truly been sewn (given he went o his first match only 8 days old) surely he has to grow up with Blue blood in his veins?

I only hope there is a club for him to support when he gets old enough!!

Whilst taking my 2.5 year old on a rather long walk yesterday, I decided to try and educate him in the culture of my beloved SUFC..... I am pleased to report, that by the end of the walk, he was coherently, and rather loudly, chanting SEA, SEA, SEASIDERS walking down Green Lane in Eastwood!!

This was preceeded with hi giving me an S and an O and a U and a T, H and E and an N and a D, UNI, TED..... Southend...... we didn't quite get the United!!

The seeds have well and truly been sewn (given he went o his first match only 8 days old) surely he has to grow up with Blue blood in his veins?

Careful, in this politically correct age your actions might be construed as cruelty to a minor and bring you to the attention of the RSPCC. ;)

Last edited:
This sounds very much the same to me, as when I was a kid. (obviously the chants were different) but I am sure most kids who were brought up by their dad's to be shrimpers will empathise with you.

As you rightly say "let's hope he has a club to support" like we have over the years. It's not always been easy, but often not dull.

It makes you who you are as a person, as local people who I know come up to me and, after asking about family etc, because they know I have always been a blues fan, ask what I make of the goings on at the club.

Start 'em young I say, and hopefully he will have a good local club to support, with many happy years of memories, and he can relay his
dad's efforts to your grandchildren .

I don't think that starting your son so early on the emotional roller coaster of a non glory hunters club, is such a bad thing. Southend United will probably always be his No.1 club and will quite quickly get into his blood. By the time he is a young man, he would have experienced the highs and the lows, with hopefully a few promotions and some good cup runs and scalps. You have just started a very special triangle of you, your son and S.U.F.C.
This will definitely help your father and son bond.

As a fellow supporter and father, I wish you nothing but the best, and hope you have some magical times and great away days following Southend United.

I don't think that starting your son so early on the emotional roller coaster of a non glory hunters club, is such a bad thing. Southend United will probably always be his No.1 club and will quite quickly get into his blood. By the time he is a young man, he would have experienced the highs and the lows, with hopefully a few promotions and some good cup runs and scalps. You have just started a very special triangle of you, your son and S.U.F.C.
This will definitely help your father and son bond.

As a fellow supporter and father, I wish you nothing but the best, and hope you have some magical times and great away days following Southend United.

Cheers for that fella... I must admit, I literally cannot wait until he is at age where we can go together properly. My Dad first took m when I was 5, and it stuck immediately, and I always look back with fondness about all those Saturdays/Friday nights with the old man at the Hall.... You're right, it is special.

I remember being at school and all of my mates were fans of Tottenham, West Ham, Liverpool etc, but not once did I want to swap placs. I also think it's a good grounding for life too. It helps you deal with dissapointment, and the harsh realities.

That said, I did watch him singing yesterday, and though to myself, 'You've no idea what you're about to get into little man, no idea at all'!!

Well done mate.

Im working on my daughter now. She loves her SUFC shorts but not sure she really understands what they are about.

Back