• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Right, an early plug for this one as:

- I'm going (weekend annual reunion trip with Plymouth uni mates from '83, my choice of venue this time), B&B booked for Sat night, early trip up on the day so in York for noon
- Last away game of the season
- York is a great place for a weekend getaway, loadsa drinking holes and places to visit
- The Yorkies have it all to play for, if we win they could be in the drop zone with just Daggers away left
- and by some miracle tonight we still have a not totally unrealistic chance of getting in to the play-off's

So get your butt to York on Sat. Even if it doesn't come off you can at least look forward to the prospect of it doing so until 4.45 pm on Sat.

Whose going?

Anyone staying up there for the weekend (Sat night in partic)? Designated watering places?

- I'm going (weekend annual reunion trip with Plymouth uni mates from '83, my choice of venue this time), B&B booked for Sat night, early trip up on the day so in York for noon
- York is a great place for a weekend getaway, loadsa drinking holes and places to visit
- The Yorkies have it all to play for, if we win they could be in the drop zone with just Daggers away left
- and by some miracle tonight we still have a not totally unrealistic chance of getting in to the play-off's

So get your butt to York on Sat. Even if it doesn't come off you can at least look forward to the prospect of it doing so until 4.45 pm on Sat.

Whose going?

Anyone staying up there for the weekend (Sat night in partic)? Designated watering places?

A lot are, TravelZone have done a weekender so i reckon at least 50-70 staying up. We will find somewhere up there i'm sure. Will be a quality weekend

A lot are, TravelZone have done a weekender so i reckon at least 50-70 staying up. We will find somewhere up there i'm sure. Will be a quality weekend

As have the Trust. Plenty of Southend supporters using their own means of travel staying too. Gutted we can't go.

A dozen of us going for a stag do - will be up there the whole weekend. Where is the usual away drinking holes beforehand?

Unfortunately I'm busy this weekend. It was the one away trip I was really looking forward to!

I'll be there. Yorkshire Blue knows all the places. I'm sure he'll advise the drinking contingent.

Seven of us up in the annual AAS limo trip, taking in some alehouses and generally being silly in a manner that befits the final away match of the year. Very much looking forward to it, but I think the football will be a disappointment, predict a 2-0 defeat.

I'm looking forward to this. Taking my brother back to Durham Uni so York is helpfully on the way. Few beers in the City before the game then on to Durham to go out on the **** for the evening. Perfect :thumbsup:

I don't think for a minute we have any chance of the playoffs but I hope we keep it interesting for the last day - the club could do with the cash from the extra ticket sales.

Whose going?

I'll be doing similar to you (obviously not with your Uni mates) - haven't booked any accomodation yet. Have family in Malton so may stay there, but if not it'll be a cheap B&B somewhere near the ground.

EDIT : Assume it is just pay on the gate Satdi? not one of these ridiculous ticket only jobs when the ground will only be 20% full?

Unfortunately I'm busy this weekend. It was the one away trip I was really looking forward to!

Same here. Beautiful town, relatively cheap beer AND it has a Reflex. Literally ticking all of my 'away day' boxes.

Unfortunately I currently have €6 to my name so will be unlikely to be travelling.

I'm heading up tomorrow to make sure I get all the pubs in.

What are you after?

The Micklegate run is York's most famous pub crawl and is your best bet if you're after somewhere lively (ie full of stag and hen dos). There were about a dozen pubs all in close proximity which people stagger between. Alternatively you've got the likes of the Lendal Cellars, Varsity, Kings Arms, Lowther on the other side of the river which are marginally more refined but still busy.

If you're after good beer the best beer near the ground is at the Minster Inn, which is a hidden away place on Marygate just off Bootham. This is about 10 minutes from the ground. It's the type of place that doesn't have music on but does have on old skittle table in it.

The ones on my must drink at list for real ale are

The Slip Inn, Clementhorpe Rd (just off Bishopthorpe Rd)
The Swan, Bishopthorpe Rd
Golden Ball, nr Skeldersgate
The Ackhorne (St Martin's Lane - a cobbled side street just off Micklegate)
The Maltings (not far from the station)
York Brewery, Toffs Green
Minster Inn, Marygate
Blue Bell, Fossgate(?) - nb this is tiny
plus at least one of Last Drop Inn/Three-Legged Mare/that other York Brewery one

plus a few other former haunts that I intend to revisit for old time's sake.

I shall be the one looking green.

Disclaimer: things may have changed since I haven't lived there for over a decade - WTF is this about a Reflex?

There was definitely one in York when I was passing through there in September. Not far from the train station.

Am so looking forward to this one as I have never been to York

I'm heading up tomorrow to make sure I get all the pubs in.

What are you after?

The Micklegate run is York's most famous pub crawl and is your best bet if you're after somewhere lively (ie full of stag and hen dos). There were about a dozen pubs all in close proximity which people stagger between. Alternatively you've got the likes of the Lendal Cellars, Varsity, Kings Arms, Lowther on the other side of the river which are marginally more refined but still busy.

If you're after good beer the best beer near the ground is at the Minster Inn, which is a hidden away place on Marygate just off Bootham. This is about 10 minutes from the ground. It's the type of place that doesn't have music on but does have on old skittle table in it.

The ones on my must drink at list for real ale are

The Slip Inn, Clementhorpe Rd (just off Bishopthorpe Rd)
The Swan, Bishopthorpe Rd
Golden Ball, nr Skeldersgate
The Ackhorne (St Martin's Lane - a cobbled side street just off Micklegate)
The Maltings (not far from the station)
York Brewery, Toffs Green
Minster Inn, Marygate
Blue Bell, Fossgate(?) - nb this is tiny
plus at least one of Last Drop Inn/Three-Legged Mare/that other York Brewery one

plus a few other former haunts that I intend to revisit for old time's sake.

I shall be the one looking green.

Disclaimer: things may have changed since I haven't lived there for over a decade - WTF is this about a Reflex?
I know you'd do right by the drinking crew! I'm pretty sure that Reflex place is where a mate of mine up there took me to a few years ago. It had an 80s music night on and *apart from The Smiths tracks* it was pretty horrific.

Last edited:
Back