• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
Plenty of memories for me here, notably anti-hero Tilsons first goal for the club verses champions-elect Wolves, i'm sure this is the game where Paul Clark destroyed Steve Bull in the first 5 minutes escaped with a booking and rendered the usually lethal Bull a mere passenger, a 2-2 at Blackburn where we squandered a 2 goal lead which included a last gasp leveller from the odious David Speedie, a 3-0 cakewalk verses Scunny on the way to the title and the fantastic win at Ipsh!t that had me convinced we were staying up, however just 2 wins from the 9 following fixtures sealed our fate.

2009 Brighton + H.A. A L1 3 1 (Barnard2 Robinson)
2007 Ipswich Town A Cham 2-0 (Gower Clarke)
2006 Scunthorpe United H L1 3-0 (Eastwood Bradbury Goater)
2001 Blackpool H D3 0-3
1993 Swindon Town H D1 1-1 (Scully)
1992 Blackburn Rovers A D2 2-2 (Ansah Angell)
1989 Wolverhampton W. H D3 3-1 (Crown2(1pen) Tilson)
1984 AFC Bournemouth A D3 0-1
1980 Hvidovre H Friendly 2-0
1979 Lincoln City A D3 1-1 (Morris(pen))
1974 Shrewsbury Town H D3 2-0 (Moody Brace)
1972 Chester City H D4 4-2 (Garner3 Moore)
1971 Hartlepool AFC H D4 2-0 (Johnson Best)
1969 Brentford A D4 1-1 (Chambers)
1956 Crystal Palace A D3S 2-1 (McCrory2)
1951 Crystal Palace A D3S 2-0 (Grant Stubbs)
1934 Brighton + H.A. A D3S 0-1
1928 Walsall H D3S 2-1 (Baron Donoven)
1923 Luton Town H D3S 1-3 (Goodwin)

Anyone else with particular memories of these games care to share, and especially if any of our older viewers have recollections of Bill Garners 1972 hattrick or even of those oh so rare victories at Palace from the 50s i for one will be delighted to hear them

I remember a big feature on teh Wolves match on Saint and Greavsie the next day, with Martin Tyler voicing over and doing commentary. Tyler uttering "it's a fantastic night at Roots Hall" as Tilly netted the third. Big Floys Streete pulled the late one back for Wolves. They also showed the building work on the South Bank.

I remember a big feature on teh Wolves match on Saint and Greavsie the next day, with Martin Tyler voicing over and doing commentary. Tyler uttering "it's a fantastic night at Roots Hall" as Tilly netted the third. Big Floys Streete pulled the late one back for Wolves. They also showed the building work on the South Bank.
Yes correct, building work had just started on the South Bank. Infact im pretty sure the last fans to stand on all 72 steps of the South Bank were Preston fans a few weeks before the Wolves match on the 3rd Feb 1989.

If I remember against Wolves 2 or 3 distress flares were fired at the Wolves fans from the North Bank one scoring a direct hit in what remained of the away end of the South Bank, sending Wolves fans scattering in all directions.

Ok then, I'll ask it. Who the **** are Hvidovre ?

They were a Danish team. I tried to pull some dog of a female Southend fan after the game - and failed. We also played a Finnish team in a friendly a litle while later.

The Icelandic team someone else referred to were FK Leiftur, who we probably played in around 1984/5. They actually scored one of the best goals, IMO, ever seen at RH. We won that game 4-2 I think.

The Chester game in 1972 brings back memories.

I was standing in the Paddock watching the game when a mate thrust his coat into my hands and said " Hang on to this" and as I looked round towards him he aimed a punch at a Chester fan who had been giving him a bit of stick. He connected with the guy's chin and about 20 Chester fans ran away to the other end of the stand quickly followed by a northern person when he picked himself up from the floor.

Happy days.

Back