• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
With thanks as ever to http://www.sufcdb.co.uk/index.php

As you can see we have a pretty decent record on this day in history but for me one match stands out from all others, probably one of the most notable league results in our history. As a mere youngster i was only at the last 5 of these matches so lets here from you older folk your recollections of the braces by Terry Johnson and Bill Garner verses Reading or Sir Billys hat trick verses Aldershot, I'm looking forward to canveyshrimpers take on Billy Hicks hat trick verses QPR obviously :winking:

2001 Hartlepool United H D3 2-1 Forbes Bramble
1993 West Ham United H D1 1-0 Angell
1990 Chesterfield H D4 0-1
1980 Millwall H D3 1-0 Gray
1978 Darlington H D4 2-0 Laverick Townsend
1972 Reading H D4 4-1 Johnson(2) Garner(2)
1969 Aldershot H D4 4-2 Best(3) Lindsey
1962 Northampton Town A D3 1-3 Bentley
1958 Gillingham H D3S 2-0 Baron Hollis
1956 Ipswich Town A D3S 0-3
1951 Nottingham Forest H D3S 3-2 Grant French Anderson
1950 Ipswich Town H D3S 2-2 Stubbs Clough
1948 Brighton + H.A. A D3S 0-1
1947 Q P R H D3S 1-3 Lane
1939 Cardiff City H D3S 2-0 Martin(2)
1934 Torquay United A D3S 0-3
1928 Q P R H D3S 7-0 Hick(3) Donoven Morris Dixon Clenshaw
1923 Gillingham A D3S 0-1

...and I'm looking for BLUEBLOOD's reaction in having to eat his meals for the next 6 weeks through a straw. :finger2:

The 1968/69 season as has often been said was a great year in terms of football played, goals scored, some of the best players in all my years watching Southend, and some great results. Ultimately it proved fruitless in terms of promotion, and we snatched 7th place from the jaws of promotion.

1971/72 was much better in terms of success when under Arthur Rowley we won our first ever promotion, but only back from whence we had come in 1965/66.

Lee don't pick on CS his memory is not so good, ask the expert, me!

Easter Saturday 7th April 1928
League division 3 (South)
SOUTHEND UNITED 7-0 Q.P.R

QPR came to the Kursaal boasting the best away record in the league having won nine of their eighteen games having scored 32 and conceded 24, this included their excellent win on Good Friday 6-1 at Newport. Rangers were 8th the Blues 9th in the table. The hoops were full of confidence prior to the game but they were a goal down within 15 minutes, and never recovered, it was no fluke despite scoring seven they had two goals disallowed and swapped places with QPR in the league. When Fred Baron returned from Brighton the Doctor confined him to his bed, and his place was taken by Billy Hick. The game started quite evenly and Rangers looked a fair side, but after fifteen minutes Billy Hick gave the Blues the lead, within another six minutes it was 3-0 thanks to Dixon and Morris. The home spectators were eager for the fourth, but had to wait until twenty minutes into the second half through Hick, shortly afterwards Donoven made it five, and then Hick completed his hat-trick, and Southend’s sixth. The home spectators were content with the six and many had started to make their way home, when Les Clenshaw scored one of the most spectacular goals ever seen at the Kursaal, a long range effort seemed to be well covered by the goalkeeper but it dipped at the last minute and crept in under the bar. The score should have been more two goals were disallowed and third was handballed into the net. Southend stayed in eighth place in the league. Team: Jarvie; French and Rosier; Dixon, Frew and Andrews; Morris, Sayer, Hick, Donoven and Clenshaw.

Extract from "The Forgotten Years at the Kursaal: The home of Southend United 1919 to 1934"

Last edited:
Also from the excellent sufc database...

Happy Birthday John Nielsen, 39 today! A cult hero at DS Towers.

...and I'm looking for BLUEBLOOD's reaction in having to eat his meals for the next 6 weeks through a straw. :finger2:

The 1968/69 season as has often been said was a great year in terms of football played, goals scored, some of the best players in all my years watching Southend, and some great results. Ultimately it proved fruitless in terms of promotion, and we snatched 7th place from the jaws of promotion.

1971/72 was much better in terms of success when under Arthur Rowley we won our first ever promotion, but only back from whence we had come in 1965/66.
So many people I talk to think that those couple of years under Ernie Shepherd ,when Friday night football was at its peak were probably some of the most exciting times at the hall.With king Billy.B up front ,two old fashioned wingers , it seemed like goal galore every game.How we missed out on promotion I will never know.Some great memories!!

Had a chat the other day with Stan Collymore who described exactly the goal that beat West Spam on April 7, 1993 - especially as he provided the final pass to Brett.
By the way, he wanted to be remembered to all Shrimpers - he still follows the club on the web etc - and wanted to know what the latest was 'on the new ground and Ron...'

Had a chat the other day with Stan Collymore who described exactly the goal that beat West Spam on April 7, 1993 - especially as he provided the final pass to Brett.
By the way, he wanted to be remembered to all Shrimpers - he still follows the club on the web etc - and wanted to know what the latest was 'on the new ground and Ron...'

So what did you tell him?:unsure:

So what did you tell him?:unsure:

That there's three sides to every story of course.

Back on topic - nice post from Chairman Trigg. I know it's very easy for us old-timers to get misty-eyed, but those Friday nights were my initiation to our club and live football. I can still feel the excitement of whirring a wooden rattle I used to take to games back then. Presumably they were outlawed in the early seventies as I suspect that they could have caused a bit of damage in the wrong/right hands. :unsure:

Back