• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
2003 Shrewsbury Town(A) D3 .. 1-0 (Smith) Att 2699
1992 Derby County(H) D2 .. 1-0 (Ansah) Att 8295
1983 Sheffield Wednesday(A) FAC3R .. 2-2 (Pountney Mercer) Att 11093
1975 Brighton(H) D3 .. 1-0 (Little) Att 5846
1971 Carlisle United(H) FAC3 .. 0-3 Att 16668
1964 QPR(A) D3 .. 5-4 (Conway2 Woodley Smlth BradyOG) Att 4674
1947 Everton(A) FAC3 .. 2-4 (Thompson Bennett) Att 50124
1939 Chesterfield (A) FAC3 .. 1-1 (Bushby) Att 6121
1936 Tottenham Hotspur(A) FAC3 .. 4-4 (Bolan3 Lane) Att 48839
1930 Brentford(H) D3S .. 2-0 (Baron Jones) Att 6456
1913 Chelsea(A) FAC1 .. 2-5 (??)

Only a few games have been played on this day in history, indeed i've only seen us the once, when Andy Ansah took us back to 2nd in the league with victory over Derby in tier 2, there have been some memorable games among the few though

In 1913 we battled through 6 Qualifying rounds to set up a tie at Stamford Bridge where the D1 side ran out comfortable winners, onto 1936 and the tie at Spurs played in front of a then record crowd to have watched the Blues including 8,000 from the seaside, Spurs miss a pen and Len Bolan scores a hat trick against his old club to earn the Blues a famous draw.

The game against Chesterfield is unremarkable itself save for the fact it led to the replay dubbed "The Battle of Chesterfield*" .. *though it was played in Southend :unsure: .. moving onwards and another crowd breaker as over 50,000 see us go down at Goodison, this remains as one of only two 50k crowds we've played in front of, bettered only by another trip to Everton a few years later

Getting more up to date as we win 5-4 at QPR .. any oldies on here witness this perhaps?? .. i'm sure some will recall the thumping at home to a Carlisle side that would just miss out on promotion to the top flight and finally a match that couldn't finish as such these days, an FA Cup Replay still level after extra time where a coin is tossed to see who plays at home in the second replay (needless to say we lost the toss and ultimately the tie)

I should point out there was one other game, but it was at Layerbout Road and we lost so i thought i'd erase it from history :winking:

The Carlisle game was postponed from the Saturday and IIRC played on the following Monday night. This was in the days when the FA ran the competition not the TV Company's or the OB.

Also the FA Cup draw was in those days made at lunchtime on Monday not at silly o'clock on a Sunday, and we drew Spurs at home. Sadly Carlisle thumped us 3-0, and we had to wait a good few years before we got drawn against Spurs again.

As a postcript we adjourned to The Elms to drown our sorrows, and a few of the then Spurs players came into the pub for a drink on their way home. Among them were Pat Jennings & Martin Chivers, Chivers being the size of a brick *********.

Interesting memories Canvey Shrimper .
I too was at the game and the atmophere was really optimistic that we could nail that big subsequent home match against Spurs.
Optimistic that is until Carlisle ran out onto the pitch for the kick about.
They seemed HUGE -every one of them looked enormous-there was a couple of strikers I recall called Bobby Owen and Dave Hatton and they were backed up by giants all over the park.
Needless to say they soon put us out of our stupid optimism and took us apart with a clinical performance which really showed up the gap we needed to cross.

I too was also in The Elms afterwards and also recall Chivers making the Carlisle boys look small!!!

Interesting memories Canvey Shrimper .
I too was at the game and the atmophere was really optimistic that we could nail that big subsequent home match against Spurs.
Optimistic that is until Carlisle ran out onto the pitch for the kick about.
They seemed HUGE -every one of them looked enormous-there was a couple of strikers I recall called Bobby Owen and Dave Hatton and they were backed up by giants all over the park.
Needless to say they soon put us out of our stupid optimism and took us apart with a clinical performance which really showed up the gap we needed to cross.

I too was also in The Elms afterwards and also recall Chivers making the Carlisle boys look small!!!
I was also there to see us soundly beaten. But,don't forget Carlisle were a Second Division side at the time and made it into the First Division only a few seasons later.

Back