• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great night for me and my mates standing in the West Stand, over 30.000 crowd. An atmosphere that will never be created again at Roots Hall. All seater, smaller capacity, can't help but think somethings been lost.

I actually printed the programmes, and still have a couple in the loft. Usual print run varied between 2,500 -4,000, depending on the opposition. For this game we ended up with around 24,000.
I started printing the outer 4 pages (on glossy art paper), the previous weekend, a couple of days before we were due to play Watford on New years Day. The snow fell overnight that weekend, and the Watford game was postponed. Earned a fortune in O/T that weekend/ following week. The inside section was printed on our 6 unit Newspaper Goss urbanite Press.
Also printed & numbered all the tickets, and we delivered them the morning they went on sale, and had to drive carefully through the crowds outside the East Stand, en route to delivering them to the main reception entrance.
On the night stood in the West Stand. Wonder how many fans recall the replay at Anfield was called off on the Monday, because of the weather, and re-arranged for the Weds night. My late wife & me still went, but that is another story. Especially trying to get back to the coaches lined up along Stanley Park, without getting mugged & robbed, which befell more than a few Blues fans.

I used my last day of leave to take the Monday off for the trip to Liverpool, My brother was in work early, heard it was called off and phoned home to tell me, I managed to get into work and get the holiday moved,
Rickety old double decker from the Fortune of war to Anfield , and then a return drop off at about 3 in the morning and a walk home to Great Burstead from there.
Nasty walk to the coaches, the police were directing some fans across Stanley park to the coaches, I think those lads had the trouble. I was on my own , so I just tucked in behind a police horse and kept my head down (until the bloody animal lifted its tail and I moved pretty sharpish).

Happy days & great memories! I too was there on the south Bank with my Dad. There's nearly 38 minutes of the match on youtube to enjoy !

Happy 40th Birthday! :Thumbs up:

Think it was about now that I was queuing in the snow to get in the South Bank!

Went with my Brother, great night. I remember being offered 3 x face value for our tickets by some Scousers while waiting to get in the ground.

Great memories of a packed south paddock with my dear Dad.
A very happy 9 (soon to be 10) year old Boy.

Wonder how many fans recall the replay at Anfield was called off on the Monday, because of the weather, and re-arranged for the Weds night. My late wife & me still went, but that is another story. Especially trying to get back to the coaches lined up along Stanley Park, without getting mugged & robbed, which befell more than a few Blues fans.
Had one days holiday left booked the Monday off, just as I was getting up my brother rang from his office, he had heard it had been called off, managed to get to work in enough time to change my holiday.
Got the bus at the Fortune of war and had a 3 mile walk at 3:00 to get home, grab a couple of hours kip and get to work on the Thursday

40 years ago at this precise moment it's almost full-time and we are holding firm! :Happy:

I sat on top of the scoreboard on the old South Bank with my brother in law and a bottle of rum .
I was the 1st one in the ground- freezing stuck with the scoucers and it was on tele went to Anfield and Derick Parker clean through and skied it goes to show all players can play in the right mindset and fitness and happy group they don't seem to play give and go make yourself available to much thinking about set ups

Just tried telling my wife I remember this well. Watching the TV highlights in the TV room at my university hall of residence in Exeter, with two other Southend fans, surrounded by Liverpool supporters for the night. The fact that we got bragging rights for a nil nil draw almost made up for the disappointment of the original match being postponed due to the weather and having to return for the start of term. Oh and we had all missed the Watford match too as we were on a uni field trip in Spain!!!

My wife asked whether she should be pleased I remember what I was doing 40 years ago, then realised it was a football memory and lost interest. She just does not understand...though does enough to accept my need to listen to the I player commentaries from my exile in Bristol....

Mind you, looking at the changeable results this season, it is not such a hard exile....

Up the Blues!!!!

When the game was postponed on the Saturday my heart sank - on the Monday I was due to go on a Geography field trip to the Brecon Beacons (mid-Wales in a youth hostel in January - not the height of luxury)

Then it snowed a bit more and the college postponed the field trip. Oh the relief.

Got in to the West Stand 20 mins late after queing for two hours Still have the ticket. What a night.

We had the Geography field trip in March - one week of pubs for 17 year olds. Our lecturers were alchoholics

Happy days

One of my greatest memories even though we lost the replay at Anfield was the Kop chanting...'Southend, Southend' several times (we were losing 3-0 at the time however!) Made the hairs on the neck stand up.

Back