• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane On this day - Liverpool 1979

45 years ago today it was a record attendance at Roots Hall, my old programme is looking a bit fragile but the memories are still clear enough. I stood right at the back on the south bank terrace and as a vertically challenged 10 year old I could hardly see a thing. In truth I seem to remember getting more excited at the Watford game in the previous round.. happy days and a thumbs up and cheers to anyone else who was there on that famous night. Happy record attendance night 45th anniversary 👍🍻B79F8917-575A-4699-A4B0-1C4FB10943BF.jpeg

Attachments

• 53022101-2F07-4599-A315-96B5ED7F1B15.jpeg
    53022101-2F07-4599-A315-96B5ED7F1B15.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 2
Yes what a great event that was.Goes down in the records of our history regrettably that attendance will never happen again at the the Hall.Fantastic memories

Was there in the snow and what a night. Gave my mint programme to my son, Lincoln Shrimp, over Christmas. For me the match against Man City on a mud heap of a pitch in the FA Cup in 1956 was more of an epic. Bert Trautman saved City. I have the programme from their semi - final against Spurs, held at Villa Park 17th March 1956. Ah, the memories!!

I to was in the South Bank in with the swaying lads(Mostly North Bank lot) in the middle about 3/4 up the South Bank. The game has been covered many times on here, including the whole game video, and all the photo's. A lot is in the 'Old Photos of Southend United' thread on here.

Was there a song about the mighty Liverpool coming to roots hall which was sung in the north bank in later years?

Was there in the snow and what a night. Gave my mint programme to my son, Lincoln Shrimp, over Christmas. For me the match against Man City on a mud heap of a pitch in the FA Cup in 1956 was more of an epic. Bert Trautman saved City. I have the programme from their semi - final against Spurs, held at Villa Park 17th March 1956. Ah, the memories!!
A fine Christmas present. The Manchester City cup tie was well before my time but my late father used to tell me about that one as it was one of his fondest Cup memories

I too was there for the Liverpool home match and for the replay at Anfield and also for the Manchester City game, but never thought of saving the programmes. I agree with greyerfox about Bert Trautman. Amazing performance particularly a save from what looked a certain goal for Roy Hollis that I can still remember clearly. One of the the stand out memories for me from the Liverpool matches, was when at Anfield, following the final whistle, all of the Liverpool supporters stood up and applauded the Southend supporters as we left the ground. A show of sportsmanship that made me an armchair Liverpool supporter for life (but of course only second to the mighty blues).

I was in the west with my brother. Even if I go senile as I get older. That night is etched into my head forever.
Aren’t rose tinted glasses amazing 🤩

Last edited:
Back