• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

On this day...

Reg Martin

No Relation
May 1st 1981 we drew 1-1 at home to Rochdale in front of crowd of 10,668 to clinch the 4th division championship to crown a fantastic season.
The club's first piece of silverware (obviously many more have followed since) but a great achievement and an anniversary worth remembering IMO.

I remember the celebrationary pitch invasion afterwards, and some bloke holding waving one ofthe corner flags around.
Saw the bloke walking down Vic Ave later on with the flag

It's nice to know my memory is still functioning normal. Probably the only part of my body which is!. Cheers harry.

May 1st 1981 we drew 1-1 at home to Rochdale in front of crowd of 10,668 to clinch the 4th division championship to crown a fantastic season.
The club's first piece of silverware (obviously many more have followed since) but a great achievement and an anniversary worth remembering IMO.

Bloody Hell only 10,668... amazingly I was there in the North bank with my older brothers... I swear we had 25000 plus that game

Just shows how far Mr R Martin, Steve T and Paul B have taken us...

Cannot wait for the new ground.. seeing 12000 plus Southenders

EVERYONES A WINNER !!

I was at the game to. It was during a period of a few years when one of the highlights og the day was waiting for the announcement of the attendance. It usually brought a hoot of laughter as it was obviously grossly under declared. I thought on this night there was 16,000 plus. Some games where my estimation was around 10,000 were declared as 5,500 to 6,000!

I was at the game to. It was during a period of a few years when one of the highlights og the day was waiting for the announcement of the attendance. It usually brought a hoot of laughter as it was obviously grossly under declared. I thought on this night there was 16,000 plus. Some games where my estimation was around 10,000 were declared as 5,500 to 6,000!

I remember the North Bank was so full, we went in the singing pen behind the goal, got in the ground a good hour before K/O as I was little and all the pushing around one of my brothers tied me to the side bar with my scarf so I never got lost.lol

What have they done?? youth team wins leauge and yet the club lets go of most promising defence for youth in years.. big mistake and yet a bigger mistake is keeping o,keefe who will never hold a reg first team place to light weight and not good enough

What have they done?? youth team wins leauge and yet the club lets go of most promising defence for youth in years.. big mistake and yet a bigger mistake is keeping o,keefe who will never hold a reg first team place to light weight and not good enough

So which youth team players would you have kept from 1981?

To get this topic back on track, we have only won one home league game on 2nd May in the last 50 years. That too was against Rochdale - a thumping 5-0.

Man with axe to grind alert!
Are you going to come clean about your personal connection to a youth released by southend in recent years?

Back