• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Me too! It always amazes me how people do remember such detail about so many games. There are odd games that I remember, or rather incidents in a few, but, "big" games apart, if I remember an incident, I couldn't tell you what the final score was!

Strange thing is that I remember more about some of the matches from the 70s than from last season. Possibly just a sign of old age, but maybe there was more excitement for a teenager at those games than for an old fart going to a match now.

Probably not a concidence that a lot of those memories involve terrace battles, motorway encounters, and chasing/getting chased in and around football gounds. Adrenalin must help memory retention I guess.

Happy memories...not sure what number we're up to now ??

Didn't we have Bernie Lewis on one wing, Terry Johnson on the other supporting Bill Garner and Gary Moore up front.

Cambridge away...happy days...we started out at Cambridge City's ground until our driver got his bearings (pre Sat-Nav!!)

Another one of the 17 thousand-odd at the Cambridge home game too.

Strange thing is that I remember more about some of the matches from the 70s than from last season. Possibly just a sign of old age, but maybe there was more excitement for a teenager at those games than for an old fart going to a match now.

Probably not a concidence that a lot of those memories involve terrace battles, motorway encounters, and chasing/getting chased in and around football gounds. Adrenalin must help memory retention I guess.

Andy, am laughing at the terrace battles, motorways and chased!! They were pretty unforgettable!! We almost won one once!! Ha ha.
winking.gif

On this day 31/10/1970 Liegh Comms first away day that was plotted and planed in Liegh Comm was played when 17 chaps from Leigh Comm went to Cambridge by train .Walking to the ground from the station we met 2 car loads from Southend .Arriving at the grond we find that Bob Jennings and SM were already in the Cambridge end as the had thumb it up .We now numbered nearly 30 .All through the first half Cambridge tried to run us out but we more than gave as good as we got .The second half Southend were kicking the other way so we all went up the other end .The ref threatend to stop the game if TJ did not stop blowing a whistle and keep stopping the game which we won 3 0 .Coming out the ground at the of the game the Southend boys went back top ther cars and left .There was now 19 Leigh Comm to face the Cambridge mob .It now became a battle all the way back to the station but in Leigh Comm tradition we all stayed together and agian gave as good as we got even though we were well out numbered . DP who was seperated from us had to jump in the river to get away from a Cambridge mob . All said and done it was a great day and the start of a lot more Leigh Comm away days.

On this day 31/10/1970 Liegh Comms first away day that was plotted and planed in Liegh Comm was played when 17 chaps from Leigh Comm went to Cambridge by train .Walking to the ground from the station we met 2 car loads from Southend .Arriving at the grond we find that Bob Jennings and SM were already in the Cambridge end as the had thumb it up .We now numbered nearly 30 .All through the first half Cambridge tried to run us out but we more than gave as good as we got .The second half Southend were kicking the other way so we all went up the other end .The ref threatend to stop the game if TJ did not stop blowing a whistle and keep stopping the game which we won 3 0 .Coming out the ground at the of the game the Southend boys went back top ther cars and left .There was now 19 Leigh Comm to face the Cambridge mob .It now became a battle all the way back to the station but in Leigh Comm tradition we all stayed together and agian gave as good as we got even though we were well out numbered . DP who was seperated from us had to jump in the river to get away from a Cambridge mob . All said and done it was a great day and the start of a lot more Leigh Comm away days.

remember that day well,went by coach,only 14 then..games away , like cambridge,brentford,colchester,wimbledon,orient, even to some extent watford&gillingham,we normally took the place over & did not feel worried..unlike brighton & somewhat cry.palace!!

43 years ago. I well remember that day the battle back to the station after the game . I can still see Bob Jennings. SS. TW.and you charging in to Cambridge when we came out the ground . I also that Cambridge skinhead we called evil because he was the most evil looking skinhead we had ever seen .He was wearing monkey boots a cheap pair of jeans granddad vest and a pin stripe jacket and no hair on his head . He tried to hide on the train we got on with half a dozen of his mates but there was not a lot left of him or his mates after Bob and SS found them .

Evil the skinhead thats a name from the past . If you asked any of the 19 Leigh Comm there that day they will all say how evil he looked . On the train to Cambridge it was decided to sit in twos and threes and hide our scarfes in case the police got on the train . The stop out side Cambridge he got on with his little crew and said to two Leigh Comm ' are you Southend cos if you are there wont be many going home ' a mistake because he going to meet the finest crew to ever come out of Leigh Comm .Its funny but I can name most of them so here we go Bob Jennings John Welham SS SE TW TL CW DC KF PM PP DP SM and S AND C .It funny but when they have old Leigh Comm reunions over half of these chaps turn up not bad still all friends after 43 years .

remember that day well,went by coach,only 14 then..games away , like cambridge,brentford,colchester,wimbledon,orient, even to some extent watford&gillingham,we normally took the place over & did not feel worried..unlike brighton & somewhat cry.palace!!
Brentford?? Oz, do you remember The Bricklayers Arms incident???

yes,"visited" that pub twice that day.first time,myself& a least one other lad "went " into that pub,brentford lads(the bar was full)closed the door behind us,so no more of our lads could get in,and we were attacked.the other blues fan got a bottle smashed in his face,then it was my turn,the hoard turned on me,punching & kicking..i burst out of the back door into a walled garden,jumped up & dragged myself over the wall,with brentford fans trying to grab my legs..got over the big wall( if i had not made it,i would have ended up in hospital,again,)..this poor old lady,must have been 70,was pottering around her garden, when i landed in it..we both were shocked,i said good morning to her,then walked through her house to the front door,with her still staring,got outside where the rest of our fans were and the rest,well you saw it!!!there were some bad incidents that day..can not remember the lads who got bottled.can you?? the bad old days,when it did "kick off",it did

On this day in 1971 we beat Aston Villa 1 0 with Billy Best scoring for us .Happy days:happy:

That 71-72 was one of the best teams to play at Roots Hall ever .

today 76 exeter cup game

today 1976, the fa cup game away at exeter.a day i will never forget.when some trouble started in our end, withw few "wurzels",im sure some of our lads remember it. we had a tug of war with the southend fans on one side & 2 policeman on the other.i was the rope(or dope!!),the southend fans pulled me back into the crowd (unfortunately for me), it all settled down.after the game via a few pubs & ciders with micky.b ,guz etc, we got the train back to london paddington,i know kev remembers it well,or not!! anyway getting of the train, i saw cardiff fans attacking a lone chelsea fan, whom i tried,unfortunatley,to help..then the mob turned on me..cut a long story short(no pun),i ended up in st.marys hospital,paddington,taken there, by ambulance,with siren going & blue flashing lights,they called for extra police to the station(padd),they even tried to get into the ambulance,to finish me off.st,mary released me saturday night,late,i then had to go to southend general monday morning,where the doctors went mad,coz they should have kept me in..my head was badly beaten&my nose was smashed to bits.. the e.n t. doctor said it was the 2nd worse case he had seen.. anyway ended up ,on the operation table,emergency,at southend general,coz i had some internal bleeding ( not life threatening,i think/hope) but a day never to be forgotten, bloody cider,..but still love a drop or two

today 1976, the fa cup game away at exeter.a day i will never forget.when some trouble started in our end, withw few "wurzels",im sure some of our lads remember it. we had a tug of war with the southend fans on one side & 2 policeman on the other.i was the rope(or dope!!),the southend fans pulled me back into the crowd (unfortunately for me), it all settled down.after the game via a few pubs & ciders with micky.b ,guz etc, we got the train back to london paddington,i know kev remembers it well,or not!! anyway getting of the train, i saw cardiff fans attacking a lone chelsea fan, whom i tried,unfortunatley,to help..then the mob turned on me..cut a long story short(no pun),i ended up in st.marys hospital,paddington,taken there, by ambulance,with siren going & blue flashing lights,they called for extra police to the station(padd),they even tried to get into the ambulance,to finish me off.st,mary released me saturday night,late,i then had to go to southend general monday morning,where the doctors went mad,coz they should have kept me in..my head was badly beaten&my nose was smashed to bits.. the e.n t. doctor said it was the 2nd worse case he had seen.. anyway ended up ,on the operation table,emergency,at southend general,coz i had some internal bleeding ( not life threatening,i think/hope) but a day never to be forgotten, bloody cider,..but still love a drop or two

Halcyon days :stunned:

Back