• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ha ha, yes i remember that!. Dear old Ray, totally harmless and as daft as a brush!. In 1975 we played Tranmere away on a friday night. The 'Brothers Grimm' organised a 2 day trip, watch the Tranmere game, stay overnight in a large B & B in Liverpool, and a ticket to the Everton v Sheff Utd game on the Saturday before coming back. The total cost was £7!!!.
Anyway the B & B's had flooded during the day during a water leak or something similar, and we were put up in a 4* hotel opposite Lime St station. Along with me and Ray, Tricky Dicky, RF and PO came along.
In the hotel basement was a nightclub, which we ended up in. Tully needed the loo and asked a Bouncer where was it?. He directed him to the Womens Loo, and Ray walked in to be greeted by a torrent of abuse from the Scouse birds in there!. Later someone ordered a crate of beer from the hotel bar, and gave Tully's room number which led to a heated debate when we all checked out on the Saturday morning.
This was in April and Everton were still in with a chance of winning the league. They lost to Sheff U 3-2, and things were a bit 'lively' outside after the game. We were waiting for the coach to pick us up, and were getting a few 'looks' when a guy walked past in the road with a radio cocked to his ear. Tully shouts 'Oi, How did Tottenham get on mate'!. I think the reason we got away in one piece was because that comment totally confused them in the heat of the moment.
Tully also went to watch Spurs at Man U with Brian Murray. Spurs won 4-1 and outside after the game Tully brought a Tottenham scarf!!!!!! Brian Murray got a kicking, yet Ray did'nt get touched!
Brian Murray theres a name from the past what happend to him , and what about Badger, Martin (Gumby) Wells and Harrys mate Rob who always wore a Liverpool scarf , they all went up Leigh Comm .

Brian Murray theres a name from the past what happend to him , and what about Badger, Martin (Gumby) Wells and Harrys mate Rob who always wore a Liverpool scarf , they all went up Leigh Comm .

Brian Murray went to our game at Carlisle when we reached the play-offs 5 years ago. He married a Geordie bird, and now lives in Newcastle. RF saw Badger earlier this year, and said he'd let him know when we next meet up. last saw Martin Wells at The Courtlands club in Thorpe Bay about 20 years ago. Dont know about Rob, who always seemed to wear a fawn/light brown jacket.

Brian Murray went to our game at Carlisle when we reached the play-offs 5 years ago. He married a Geordie bird, and now lives in Newcastle. RF saw Badger earlier this year, and said he'd let him know when we next meet up. last saw Martin Wells at The Courtlands club in Thorpe Bay about 20 years ago. Dont know about Rob, who always seemed to wear a fawn/light brown jacket.
Rob in his jacket he always wore it and was great friends with Harry .It would be great to find Barry Hales for the meets he was a great friend of TJ and SS the last I heard of him was he was living in Benfleet but that was over 30 years ago .

Rob in his jacket he always wore it and was great friends with Harry .It would be great to find Barry Hales for the meets he was a great friend of TJ and SS the last I heard of him was he was living in Benfleet but that was over 30 years ago .
I think BH keeps a low profile for personal reasons .

On this day on Feb 12 72 a top of the table clash between Southend United v Brentford was played at Roots Hall ,Southend won 3-1 with goals from Terry Johnson , Gary Moore and Spud Taylor scoring for us .We had a good team then .

Memories get embedded because what happened at the time was so significant.
50 years and one week to the day, I'm sure my dad and me were the ONLY (well, I never saw anyone else in blue) at Yeovil v Southend in the FA Cup.
I've seen loads of comments about the Aylesbury tie, and I suffered that along with Harlow, but back then a defeat to a non-league side, as Yeovil were, was still rare.
BTW, I scattered the old man's ashes on the Roots Hall mud in the centre spot with permission from the club, after we beat Yeovil in the Cup 1982, second round I think.
In that 1963 team was centre half Peter Watson who died in September.

Was that was the replay after the 0-0 @ Roots Hall? Goalie Harry Threadgold got concussion and spent the second half wandering around in a daze on the right wing. Peter Watson turned his hand to painting and decorating after his playing days. I often used to bump into him and wax lyrical about the Blues. Best centre half to put on a Blues shirt IMO.

And Rickky Otto had a 'blinder'.
Certainly did.He was unplayable that day and Derby County could not handle him.One of the best players we have had in my opinion,Considering his talent he underachieved in his career.Nice bloke though think he is a youth worker now.

Thirty eight years ago today it was the 5th round of the FA cup and Southend had a trip north to play a talented
Derby side at the Baseball ground. We lost 1-0 with Bruce Rioch scoring the goal as I recall.

Thirty eight years ago today it was the 5th round of the FA cup and Southend had a trip north to play a talented
Derby side at the Baseball ground. We lost 1-0 with Bruce Rioch scoring the goal as I recall.

We were unlucky. That game usually evokes some great posts about our supporters!

April 29th 1972 ,Gillingham away, Southend United invade Kent , 7 coaches leave the Elms pub ,4 from Leigh Comm , I shall remember all the Leigh Comm chaps who went that day and are no longer with us today .

April 29th 1972 ,Gillingham away, Southend United invade Kent , 7 coaches leave the Elms pub ,4 from Leigh Comm , I shall remember all the Leigh Comm chaps who went that day and are no longer with us today .

White butchers jackets!!

those hells angels!! being on the leigh comm coach,with my white coat!!! feeling proud how many blues fans went..all ending up in the gillingham end,think it was called the rainham rd end..then after the game ,going to my nans, in elm rd..watched england get beat by germany,3-1 at wembley, on tv...as i wrote before,on the same day29.4....on 1976,i was at sheffield.wed(thursday night) v southend,winner stayed up...we lost.went down..on 29.4.78..we(oz tours) took a coach to newport-sufc...southend fans took that ground over as well....:smile: happy days

Gillingham 1972 , white coats (athough I did not have one)Harry getting on the Leigh Comm coach at Elms with sausage rolls in his pockets , the gates getting kicked in at the ground , the running across the pitch to take the Rainham end , I do not know any other supporters who have done this .I remember walking round Gillingham afterwards with Bob Jennings Al Vincent SS IS RF SE and DP , walking down the high street we hear singing coming from the Britania pub , looking throgh the window we see Ian Leask Charlie Benson Jug Head Glen (what happend to him ) and about a dozen others all singing ,We are the old North Bank , we then went back to the ground . Southend had kept trying to get to the Gillingham at the other end ,but the police kept stopping them . At about 2-45 Ian arrives with his crew look at the situation and head off up the other end ,as they were dressed casual the police let them through , the rest of the Southend in the Rainham end were now going to be treated to how a dozen or so old North Bank legends could run a couple of hundred Gillingham . Great day Great friends and Great memories .

Gillingham 1972 , white coats (athough I did not have one)Harry getting on the Leigh Comm coach at Elms with sausage rolls in his pockets , the gates getting kicked in at the ground , the running across the pitch to take the Rainham end , I do not know any other supporters who have done this .I remember walking round Gillingham afterwards with Bob Jennings Al Vincent SS IS RF SE and DP , walking down the high street we hear singing coming from the Britania pub , looking throgh the window we see Ian Leask Charlie Benson Jug Head Glen (what happend to him ) and about a dozen others all singing ,We are the old North Bank , we then went back to the ground . Southend had kept trying to get to the Gillingham at the other end ,but the police kept stopping them . At about 2-45 Ian arrives with his crew look at the situation and head off up the other end ,as they were dressed casual the police let them through , the rest of the Southend in the Rainham end were now going to be treated to how a dozen or so old North Bank legends could run a couple of hundred Gillingham . Great day Great friends and Great memories .
Shameful, why would you be proud to be associated with that?

Back