• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shameful, why would you be proud to be associated with that?

That was how things were back then. Go back a further 8 years, and it was Mods & Rockers having battles all over the place. Before then Teddy Boys.
In the late 90's Goths, Grungers(?) 'Rude Boys' and other weird names teenagers called themselves.
At least in our days, we wer'nt involved in Muggings, Drugs, and knifing everyone, which seems to be the norm these days?. There was an unwritten code of morals, which the majority abided by.

I started going to Roots Hall in 1978 when I was 7. My Dad stopped taking me after we had bricks thrown at us. Talking of 'running' other fans and 'taking' their grounds just makes me thank **** it's not the 1970's and I can take my kids to matches with no problems.
I did not know anyone who would throw a brick at a 7 year old .

That was how things were back then. Go back a further 8 years, and it was Mods & Rockers having battles all over the place. Before then Teddy Boys.
In the late 90's Goths, Grungers(?) 'Rude Boys' and other weird names teenagers called themselves.
At least in our days, we wer'nt involved in Muggings, Drugs, and knifing everyone, which seems to be the norm these days?. There was an unwritten code of morals, which the majority abided by.

Wow, nice way to write off an entire generation (or two).

those hells angels!! being on the leigh comm coach,with my white coat!!! feeling proud how many blues fans went..all ending up in the gillingham end,think it was called the rainham rd end..then after the game ,going to my nans, in elm rd..watched england get beat by germany,3-1 at wembley, on tv...as i wrote before,on the same day29.4....on 1976,i was at sheffield.wed(thursday night) v southend,winner stayed up...we lost.went down..on 29.4.78..we(oz tours) took a coach to newport-sufc...southend fans took that ground over as well....:smile: happy days

29.4.78 - a great day to Newport!! Courtesy of Ozzie Tours I believe!! Being just 15...did I feel great??!!!

Can't say I ever remember any grunge related violence. All the ones I knew were usually too stoned to bother.

Makes me laugh how older generations write off the younger ones despite the fact we live in the safest times in human history. Too much Daily Mail I reckon.

Shameful, why would you be proud to be associated with that?

it was different times,hard to explain to fans now..but most of the time,most,you knew,gut feeling, what was going to happen,so most fans_people did not get involved..sounds rather sad,but i believe most blues fans,my-our age,would rather have been teenage blues fans then,then now,for various reasons...sadly most fans now have never seen the north bank "pak",full of blues fans..it was,WAS,something im proud of being part of:happy:

it was different times,hard to explain to fans now..but most of the time,most,you knew,gut feeling, what was going to happen,so most fans_people did not get involved..sounds rather sad,but i believe most blues fans,my-our age,would rather have been teenage blues fans then,then now,for various reasons...sadly most fans now have never seen the north bank "pak",full of blues fans..it was,WAS,something im proud of being part of:happy:
I have to agree with every thing you say .

Today 43 years ago Southend beat Barrow 1-0 with Terry Johnson scoring a first half goal , the word Promotion was now being said .:happy::happy::happy:

On this day 41 years ago Southend beat Huddersfield 5-2 with Stuart Brace getting a hatrick , it was the day after I got married and went to the game with my best man Bob Jennings , never has a man had a better friend , RIP Bob .

Gillingham 1972 , white coats (athough I did not have one)Harry getting on the Leigh Comm coach at Elms with sausage rolls in his pockets , the gates getting kicked in at the ground , the running across the pitch to take the Rainham end , I do not know any other supporters who have done this .I remember walking round Gillingham afterwards with Bob Jennings Al Vincent SS IS RF SE and DP , walking down the high street we hear singing coming from the Britania pub , looking throgh the window we see Ian Leask Charlie Benson Jug Head Glen (what happend to him ) and about a dozen others all singing ,We are the old North Bank , we then went back to the ground . Southend had kept trying to get to the Gillingham at the other end ,but the police kept stopping them . At about 2-45 Ian arrives with his crew look at the situation and head off up the other end ,as they were dressed casual the police let them through , the rest of the Southend in the Rainham end were now going to be treated to how a dozen or so old North Bank legends could run a couple of hundred Gillingham . Great day Great friends and Great memories .
Wasn't so good spending the second half in the cells and they found my England ticket for the big match that night, none of the six of us went that night they waited for my release from the cells, lost it when they hit my twin bro up the gills end that is what started it all.

On this day 41 years ago Southend beat Huddersfield 5-2 with Stuart Brace getting a hatrick , it was the day after I got married and went to the game with my best man Bob Jennings , never has a man had a better friend , RIP Bob .

That's really nice to hear. Even tho he was older than me, he would stop and have a chat, normally about the things the older Leigh Comm lot had just got up to. He was really likable. I thought he was quite charismatic as well. God bless chunky.

yep.his name was "fertie", short for fertilser..because of his time at exeter uni..a great bloke,went many a time with "brother grimm" to away games. think his real name was malcom !! osterayer or something like that..but fertie was& still miss a top bloke.. anybody who knew him ,liked him, he always wore denim/jeans with scarfs hanging from his belt..a dave cunningham hair style.long&looked like unwASHED;,rather large with a beard,top,top bloke, one of us lcbb,happy days
Fertie , Malcolm Ostermayer is on facebook , is an Sufc Exile and now lives in Lancaster .

it was the day after I got married and went to the game with my best man Bob Jennings , never has a man had a better friend , RIP Bob .

Seconded. In 1976 we rented a Chalet in Hemsby for a week, when Bob & PP were working in the Pub in Potters Heigham. Had an absolutely fantastic week with them every day, when they were working & in their leisure time.

Seconded. In 1976 we rented a Chalet in Hemsby for a week, when Bob & PP were working in the Pub in Potters Heigham. Had an absolutely fantastic week with them every day, when they were working & in their leisure time.
Bob PP and a girl I cant remember her name all went up to Great Yarmouth to work and ended up at the Bridge hotel Potter Heigham , PP and the girl came home and Bob stayed up there and made a new life for himself where he became well liked and respected . When he died a few years ago some of the Old Leigh Comm went up to his funeral , we were told that it was the biggest funeral that the village that he lived in had seen , I will always remember SS standing at the front of the church , voice cracking telling everyone about Bob when he was younger and his love for Southend United . The following year my wife and I went up to see his wife Steph , I wanted to take some thing up that would last , so I went down Roots Hall and knocked brick of the East Stand and took it up . His wfe Steph put it on his grave , so Bob has a piece of his beloved Roots Hall by him .

Bob PP and a girl I cant remember her name all went up to Great Yarmouth to work and ended up at the Bridge hotel Potter Heigham , PP and the girl came home and Bob stayed up there and made a new life for himself where he became well liked and respected . When he died a few years ago some of the Old Leigh Comm went up to his funeral , we were told that it was the biggest funeral that the village that he lived in had seen , I will always remember SS standing at the front of the church , voice cracking telling everyone about Bob when he was younger and his love for Southend United . The following year my wife and I went up to see his wife Steph , I wanted to take some thing up that would last , so I went down Roots Hall and knocked brick of the East Stand and took it up . His wfe Steph put it on his grave , so Bob has a piece of his beloved Roots Hall by him .

great story,nice one

Back