• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

jamessufc88

Youth Team
...well, only just out of Elland Road car park actually.  Oh, the joy of having a wireless network card!

Where do I start?  We were unbelievable.  I don't know how the f@ck we lost that and it was quite possibly the most unjust defeat I've seen in nearly 11 years of watching Southend.  

Dennis Wise got exactly what he wanted when publicly saying that he wanted the Leeds team to play how they always did in their 'glory days'.  They kicked bloody lumps out of us.  Shirt pulling, diving, kicking our legs out from underneath us...you name it, they tried it and got away with it (what's new there?)  We knocked the ball around sublimly.  Short passes, great movement with or without the ball, dangerous running through the middle and down the flanks.  Leeds had no answer for us and, quite frankly, were quite diabolical - I'd hate to be a Leeds fan right now, 'cause if they play like that, there's only one place they're going.

The first goal was a complete fluke.  Typically, for the only time during the game, Barrett and Sodj went walkabout (they were superb for the rest of the game) and their little bloke powered through with all the space in the world.  Counter attack and sucker punch.  As for the second goal, well.  I haven't seen many more blatant dives.  Just threw himself on the floor in front of Sodj near the edge of the area.  And sure enough, the referee gave it. Great shot by Blake but he should never have gotten the chanc in the first place.  UNBELIEVABLE.

Once again, we were superb.  Our passing and movement was an absolute delight to watch.  We just lack that killer bloody ball - so, as I've been saying for weeks, get that elusive bloody creative, aggressive central midfielder we need on loan!

I'm not one for sour grapes. I always give sides their due when they beat us if they deserve it.  QPR - murdered us in the first half.  Cardiff - better than us all over the pitch.  Coventry - thought we had more of the ball and looked better going forward but they looked much more dangerous in the penalty box.  But Leeds?  Jesus.  Absolutely shocking.  Very lucky and had simply no answer for our attacking nous and passing skill.  A group of Leeds fans came up to my mate after the game when he was lagging behind me a bit and said they couldn't believe that we are where we are in the table.  He said that Leeds had two fluke goals and that we outplayed them in every department.

Quite frankly, at the moment, I'm in utter disbelief and really quite upset.  I just don't know what we have to do to get a win at the moment  
down.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jamessufc88 @ Oct. 28 2006,17:40)]...well, only just out of Elland Road car park actually.  Oh, the joy of having a wireless network card!

Where do I start?  We were unbelievable.  I don't know how the f@ck we lost that and it was quite possibly the most unjust defeat I've seen in nearly 11 years of watching Southend.  

Dennis Wise got exactly what he wanted when publicly saying that he wanted the Leeds team to play how they always did in their 'glory days'.  They kicked bloody lumps out of us.  Shirt pulling, diving, kicking our legs out from underneath us...you name it, they tried it and got away with it (what's new there?)  We knocked the ball around sublimly.  Short passes, great movement with or without the ball, dangerous running through the middle and down the flanks.  Leeds had no answer for us and, quite frankly, were quite diabolical - I'd hate to be a Leeds fan right now, 'cause if they play like that, there's only one place they're going.

The first goal was a complete fluke.  Typically, for the only time during the game, Barrett and Sodj went walkabout (they were superb for the rest of the game) and their little bloke powered through with all the space in the world.  Counter attack and sucker punch.  As for the second goal, well.  I haven't seen many more blatant dives.  Just threw himself on the floor in front of Sodj near the edge of the area.  And sure enough, the referee gave it.  Great shot by Blake but he should never have gotten the chanc in the first place.  UNBELIEVABLE.

Once again, we were superb.  Our passing and movement was an absolute delight to watch.  We just lack that killer bloody ball - so, as I've been saying for weeks, get that elusive bloody creative, aggressive central midfielder we need on loan!

I'm not one for sour grapes.  I always give sides their due when they beat us if they deserve it.  QPR - murdered us in the first half.  Cardiff - better than us all over the pitch.  Coventry - thought we had more of the ball and looked better going forward but they looked much more dangerous in the penalty box.  But Leeds?  Jesus.  Absolutely shocking.  Very lucky and had simply no answer for our attacking nous and passing skill.  A group of Leeds fans came up to my mate after the game when he was lagging behind me a bit and said they couldn't believe that we are where we are in the table.  He said that Leeds had two fluke goals and that we outplayed them in every department.

Quite frankly, at the moment, I'm in utter disbelief and really quite upset.  I just don't know what we have to do to get a win at the moment  
down.gif
Just got home and absolutely gutted. I think what James has said above is totally right.

We dominated the game from start to finish with only one team in it. Leeds are a very poor side and Wise has a very tough job ahead of him.

Our build up play up to the edge of the box was a different class, some of the best I have seen Southend produce, but we are lacking that final killer pass or the diminuitive attacking central midfielder á la someone in Paul Scholes mode who can pull the trigger.

I really thought we were going to score when we had the succession of four corners.

Proud to be a Southend fan after seeing the away performances at Burnley and Leeds.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Clarky_Blues @ Oct. 28 2006,18:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jamessufc88 @ Oct. 28 2006,17:40)]...well, only just out of Elland Road car park actually.  Oh, the joy of having a wireless network card!

The first goal was a complete fluke.  Typically, for the only time during the game, Barrett and Sodj went walkabout (they were superb for the rest of the game) and their little bloke powered through with all the space in the world.  Counter attack and sucker punch.  As for the second goal, well.  I haven't seen many more blatant dives.  Just threw himself on the floor in front of Sodj near the edge of the area.  And sure enough, the referee gave it.  Great shot by Blake but he should never have gotten the chanc in the first place.  UNBELIEVABLE.

I'm not one for sour grapes.  I always give sides their due when they beat us if they deserve it.  QPR - murdered us in the first half.  Cardiff - better than us all over the pitch.  Coventry - thought we had more of the ball and looked better going forward but they looked much more dangerous in the penalty box.  But Leeds?  Jesus.  Absolutely shocking.  Very lucky and had simply no answer for our attacking nous and passing skill.  A group of Leeds fans came up to my mate after the game when he was lagging behind me a bit and said they couldn't believe that we are where we are in the table.  He said that Leeds had two fluke goals and that we outplayed them in every department.

down.gif
Just got home and absolutely gutted.  I think what James has said above is totally right.

We dominated the game from start to finish with only one team in it.  Leeds are a very poor side and Wise has a very tough job ahead of him.

Our build up play up to the edge of the box was a different class, some of the best I have seen Southend produce, but we are lacking that final killer pass or the diminuitive attacking central midfielder á la someone in Paul Scholes mode who can pull the trigger.

I really thought we were going to score when we had the succession of four corners.

Proud to be a Southend fan after seeing the away performances at Burnley and Leeds.
Fair play to you mate, for making the trip. However, how many more times are we gonna hear that "we were by far the better team" & "i think they will be in trouble this season" etc etc. Bottom line is, if we are as superior as often told but still lose these games...we aint going nowhere but south!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bertiebigbanana @ Oct. 28 2006,18:56)]
[b said:
[b said:

down.gif
Just got home and absolutely gutted.  I think what James has said above is totally right.

We dominated the game from start to finish with only one team in it.  Leeds are a very poor side and Wise has a very tough job ahead of him.

Fair play to you mate, for making the trip. However, how many more times are we gonna hear that "we were by far the better team" & "i think they will be in trouble this season" etc etc. Bottom line is, if we are as superior as often told but still lose these games...we aint going nowhere but south!
I agree with you - the comments mean nothing - points on the board do! Loan signings........?

Just got back myself and will back up these points. We were TOTALLY dominate - not in a blinkered view of it either.

Leeds were camped on their 18-yard line for 40 minutes of the second half. The only relief they got was one or two lumps forward that they managed to fashion something from.

Where we lost out was two pieces of individual brilliance that we as a club are sorely lacking.

We can be brilliant for 85 minutes and restrict teams to one chance, but in this league, 9 times out of 10 the opponents have a player with a bit of class to take that chance.

All in all though, Tilly can take great heart from this and I hope he gets that into the players heads.

For Leeds though - lots of work to be done at that club!!

Gladsome people have agreed - was thinking some might see my comments as sour grapes or blinkered views. I don't think it'd be hyperbolic to say that Leeds hardly left their final third.

But you're both spot on - no good saying all this if it can't be turned into points. We need loan signings, and we need 'em quick. We have wingers who can whack over the odd great cross, but we need it week-in week-out. We also need a central midfielder a la, as was said, Scholesy. Full of running, will help the defence and tackle hard alongside King Kev but then bomb forward, regularly thread through keiller, defence-splitting through balls, score some piledrivers and spread the ball about at pace so that the opposition are on the back foot the whole time.

sounds like the pathetic effort against Ipswich has given us a kick up the backside we needed. Now we MUST get the points on Tuesday. I think we need to give the team a load of support and be patient at Roots Hall. Dont want to turn into a team that play crap in front of their own fans, but can turn it on when away from home.

point taken Ron, but if you were at the Ipswich game you would have seen the performance and thought Div 1 here we come. At least we seem to be showing some fight, and playing better at the same time.

I have read some great posts about how well we have played and watching all the teams so far apart from Cardiff we have the talent etc. to match them all.......but we still lost 2-0 to an inferiror team today because: a - we have given away another stupid goal.....at least one per game! and we have not scored at the other end!
We can all moan about how unlucky we are etc. but that is not going to keep us in this division. I read a quote recently from some business guy who said "I believe in luck; in fact the harder I work the more I have!". Lets stop blaming luck and start looking at where we need to improve.

We have the palyers and the talent to survive this league buit lets stop blaming everyone and everything else for where we are and take it into our own destiny and battle and graft despite the results.

[b said:

down.gif
mate i was at the game today.... i would say that as the away team we definitely deserved a point but as a neutral they deserved the win! sorry, if we disagree, that's football! but as i am a shrimper yeah we deserved a point. they showed fight and passion which by all accounts apparently didn't exist in the week

i completely agree second half we were the better team... but scoring chances.... this isn't premier league... we aren't going to score the goals they score week in week out. a slight unjust the way we played but i could see a leeds fan point of view they deserved their win...

lets just read neutral reports and see how we go...

Maybe a week of final third play would be in order. I didnt go today, but from hearing this and listening to BBC Essex, we need to learn how to carve teams open, and find the net.

James....spot on. Just got back (stopped off at the OK Diner)

Again one silly mistake from the back line and we got punished. becoming an all to familiar read now I know and we must find a way of working this out of our game if we are to survive in this league.

Totally agree we need a CM that can both defend when needed and also bomb forward and be that creative spark we're lacking right now. A loan maybe? Don't know, where are we going to get one with the experience we need? If one is found then Ron has got to splash the cash and get that player in ASAP.

Their defence was first class today. They threw themselves at everything that came their way and especially in the second half their keeper made one blinding point blank save.

When was the last time we put so much pressure on a team that resulted in 5 corners on the trot and got nothing from them? Haven't seen the stats yet but I'd be very much surprised if the possession tally was somewhere around the 70% - 30% mark in our favour but as has already been said, without that killer instinct or creativity from somewhere it doesn't matter how much pressure you apply to the opposition unless you convert that pressure into goals. Something we are failing to do at present but I'm sure Tilly will do what it takes to find that someone that can fulfill the role.

I agree think we looked good especially the 2nd half where we dominated but think this may have been something to do with Leeds being absolutely awful (says alot for us losing 2-0!). Dont think any other team in this division would allow us much time and space to play. Hopefully I we can play like against the other poor side on Tuesday

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bertiebigbanana @ Oct. 28 2006,18:56)]
[b said:
[b said:

down.gif

God aint it boring. Tilson's side only ever gets going when they have to, i.e when they are behind, most weeks lately, crap defence and no killer instinct in front of goal. He will tell you that we are unlucky most weeks, poppycock, bottle is missing i am afraid!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Oct. 29 2006,01:36)]God aint it boring. Tilson's side only ever gets going when they have to, i.e when they are behind, most weeks lately, crap defence and no killer instinct in front of goal. He will tell you that we are unlucky most weeks, poppycock, bottle is missing i am afraid!
I wonder if irony travels well in your neck of the woods?

Agree with most posts on here. Glad someone mentioned about Leeds defence. Whether they were kicking lumps out of us or not, they did restrict us to pretty much half chances from the edge of the box. Having said that, they were possibly the weakest team I've seen this season (other than Ashford Town at Billericay!).
Sadly, we are losing games to good teams and we are also losing games to bad teams. Despite what Radiohead say, 2+2 does not = 5, and that normally amounts to the trapdoor. Our edge infront of goal has gone, despite all the good play that we had today. I mean, we head into November on Wednesday and we've scored 2 goals away from home. It's not rocket science.
2 personal things that may improve what we are doing.
Absolutely right about the central midfielder role. I can't really remember one occasion when a midfielder has made a burst forward and overlapped our strikers. Those runs can result in goals sometimes, but playing infront of their back four doesn't always work. These said runs were something Bentley used to do for fun incidentally. Remember? I'm not saying he was good enough for this level but that style of play is something we have lacked this year from the midfield.
Secondly, let's get Mitch back from Northampton and give that right hand side the shake up that it needs. Quite frankly if we had 2 Gowers out on the flanks today in the 2nd half we'd have probably won.
Finally, on the positive side, I can honestly say that every one of that team that started today tried their absolute hardest and I am convinced they feel as bad as we do. Laziness, and half-heartedness is something that will DEFINITELY send us down. And I don't see that from our side. Yet.
Right. Time for bed.

Back