• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My opinion of Phil Smith is...

• Positive based on seeing him several times during his career

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reg Martin

No Relation
As far as I know I have never seen Phil Smith play - possibly I've seen him play against us but he never stood out as particularly good or bad. But it's clear a lot of people on here are not happy about the prospect of him signing for us but given the initial negative reaction on here to Barry Corr and Cameron Belford and the initial enthusiasm about Ndiaye and Johnson last summer, the sceptic in me is, well, sceptical about the reaction to Smith

I've taken the liberty of adding an extra option Charlie, i hope you don't mind but i feel its very relevant .. I believe Swindon lost 8 times last season, Wes Foderingham was in goal for only 2 of those matches

I've taken the liberty of adding an extra option Charlie, i hope you don't mind but i feel its very relevant .. I believe Swindon lost 8 times last season, Wes Foderingham was in goal for only 2 of those matches

Mick has used that stat and it's extremely unfair. Those were all at the start of the season when the players were struggling to adapt to Di Canio's way of training and playing plus were feeling the effects of Leon Clarke-gate.

I'm all for stats but anyone basing their opinion solely on that one is being very foolish, IMO.

Have to say I'd be really disappointed if we signed him. I know the conditions were difficult against West Ham but I certainly didn't feel confident with him in goal and to me the back four seemed to feel the same way. I'm sure there are better available keepers out there after all PS said in the Echo the other day "It's important we get the right keeper in." Well for me that certainly isn't Smith!!!

Interesting an extra question has been added to the poll - by Blueblood I assume has he voted for it - though for me the extra question is covered by the others - if your opinion is based on his record at Swindon last season, did you see him play several times for Swindon last year or is your opinion based on others comments on his record at Swindon?

I posted after you had added your comment - as I said above I think it is a bad option because eg it could be an opinion based on hearsay ie covered by another option

The game after Smith lost his place, Swindon played a chunk of against ten men. They then had a walkover against us which must have boosted confidence. Even then their results were mixed and it wasn't until the end of 2011 that they started stringing results together and climbing the table.

It's a fallacy to imply that the reason Swindon got promoted was because they changed their goalkeeper.

I have no opinion of him as Ive not seen him play ever. What bothers me is that previously we couldnt agree terms, he then goes off in search of another club & I believe he trialled for Cheltenham. Now after getting no takers he's come back to us because he's realised he's not worth the terms he's seeking?

If he becomes our keeper Ill back him & hope it works out, but the 90 mins I saw Brown play at Braintree convinced me he was worth taking on the jolly to Spain, & he seemed very keen to join up.

So? That doesn't prove anything.

Doesn't it prove that Swindon had a good defence......:winking:

On the subject of Phil Smith, I'm not inclined to make too many harsh judgements after the West Ham match, but I'm not optimistic based on the number of people who have commented unfavourably, and who HAVE seen him play several times. I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt, but we really don't need a confidence keeper and I'd have much rather had Belford.

Firestorm, you know you will start OBL off once she has seen your post.

:hilarious: I'd already started my post!!!

Doesn't it prove that Swindon had a good defence......:winking:

On the subject of Phil Smith, I'm not inclined to make too many harsh judgements after the West Ham match, but I'm not optimistic based on the number of people who have commented unfavourably, and who HAVE seen him play several times. I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt, but we really don't need a confidence keeper and I'd have much rather had Belford.

:hilarious: I'd already started my post!!!

I agree. I'm cautious about the potential signing because of the number of people on here who say that they've seen him and been rubbish. That Swindon 'stat' is pure ******** though and I can't believe anyone would seriously base their opinion on a potential signing on it.

AFTER Foderingham came in Swindon conceded one goal at home from October to May .. ONE

That's a pretty amazing stat actually but to be fair the best keepers are generally the ones who have the best defences in front of them. I don't know how much of that can be attributed to Smith or the fact that the midfield closed down the attacks higher up the pitch so that the shots just didn't come in on goal in the same quantity.

I saw the West Ham game and have to say that out of the two keepers, Taylor looked more assured handling wise but then had more to do. His kicking in pretty awful conditions was poor and he let two goals in, whereas Smith only let one in. Did our defence play better in the second half? Did West Ham ease up? Is there life on Mars?

Dunno. I'll trust Luggys judgement.

I can't say I know much about him, I must have seen hin, but...

Looking at his stats he's played something like 113 games for Swindon over 6 years and the most he's played in one season is 31. That says to me he either has issues with fitness or form.

Having done some quick research, I've seen Smith play once against us, which was the 2-2 draw at home to Swindon in League 1 when we came back from 2-0 down to score twice in the last five minutes. Can't remember if he was at fault for either. After all the scaremongering on here when Belford first joined us I'll reserve judgement for now.

Seems to have been happy sitting on the bench picking up a wage for several seasons. Does he have the hunger?

I have seen Phil Smith 5-10 times at Crawley.

When we played a long way away, played on a Friday etc I would often nip over to Crawley with my Brighton supporting mates when they are just another non-league side rather than the money bags side we see today. Used to really enjoy it. I was looking back the other day and I have seen Ebsfleet, Scarborough, Morecombe, Kettering, Lewes and maybe Fleetwood all in the two year spell Phil Smith was in goal - And that is just to ones I can remember from there fans site records. There is I am sure more.

He is (or was not then) a good keeper. There is always a handling error round the corner from him. I lost track of the amount of times the lads and I used to laugh at him. I said he has handling issues before the West Ham game and low and behold I am told he had handling issues.

I also saw a mates Dad in Tesco last week. He goes to Crawley every week (comes from Southend which is a bit annoying but he is a old boy now) and when I told him we wanted Phil Smith he again said - He is ****. My Swindon mate who I openly facebooked (those of use that are mates may have seen it) came back and said he is ****.

Now I am happy and I hope to be wrong. It is six years since I have seen him play and I pray to god that he is good now but as a keeper I have seen a fair bit of I can honestly say he scares me.

Back