• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Harrold?

• YES

Votes: 53 46.9%
  • NO

Votes: 60 53.1%

• Total voters

Southend_Lady

Ginger Sam
I am conducting a poll to see exactly what people really think of Harrold and I am also going to make it annonymous so that voting is fair.

Seems that he draws a bit of a divide which is confusing to me as I really cant see what he is bringing to the team because it certainly isnt goals!
I accept that at the end of the day he is human and doesnt deserve to be abused by the people that are supposed to be his fans....however, I am not being nasty I am just expressing my opinion that he is in fact not actually that good!

Pre-season people were raving about him becuase he knocked a few past some utter cack teams and said "yep 20 goals for Harrold this season". Never once had me fooled and quite rightly so! The stats dont lie, a year today since his last league goal, I think that says enough!

Like I said this is not a hate campaign and for gods sake it isnt coz he is lanky and ginger but lets face it, it doesnt really help things :D
I just want to know what the opinion is once and for all.

Its a simple YES, NO to Harrold. No maybe's or in the future, I am talking about here and now, is he good enough?

I've actually been impressed with him on a few occasions this season... although i do think this is because i held no hope for him at all based on last seasons performances.

Against Gillingham i thought he had a particularly good game, and if him and Leon could reproduce that then we'll have no problems this year... I just think that if we're to fulfill the potential the squad has we need a secondary forward who pitches in with goals as well. Eastwood bagged 24 (?) goals the season we went up from here, but Goater also bagged 13. I just don't see Harrold bagging 13 goals...

I've actually been impressed with him on a few occasions this season... although i do think this is because i held no hope for him at all based on last seasons performances.

Against Gillingham i thought he had a particularly good game, and if him and Leon could reproduce that then we'll have no problems this year... I just think that if we're to fulfill the potential the squad has we need a secondary forward who pitches in with goals as well. Eastwood bagged 24 (?) goals the season we went up from here, but Goater also bagged 13. I just don't see Harrold bagging 13 goals...

He holds the ball up well, but at the end of the day he doesn't score enough goals. We need someone who can do similar job but also find the net a few times.

I do like Harrold but as people say he is a striker and therefore he needs to score some goals. Saying that he offers ALOT more than Hopper... Thats why Leon looked better up front with Harrold.

Last edited:
I'm sure a couple of people were getting a bit overenthusiastic about his hat trick against Witham and said similar things to this... :rolleyes:

Yeah they did I remember some people saying he could get 10 or 15 goals but not 20 that really is fantasy land.

For its worth I think he did a good job for the team and seemed to link up well with Clarke, he was unlucky not to score against Gillingham maybe if he was to get one a few more would follow.

He's improved greatly this season and has done a job but as you say, does not ever score goals. Surely that is why a striker is in the team isn't it to actually score a goal now and again?

He's a tryer for sure but we need somebody who will contribute 10-12 goals over a season supporting the main goalscorer and Matt is not going to do this. Nice lad who gives 100% but a lower divisional journeyman. We could do better.

Far too much of an enigma to give a simple yes or no answer. Harrold's displays this season have been decent, he shows an excellent attitude and I believe more ability than many are willing to credit. He is not a natural goal scorer but seems determined to prove the doubters wrong... For this, I give him a "yes".

Yeah they did I remember some people saying he could get 10 or 15 goals but not 20 that really is fantasy land.

For its worth I think he did a good job for the team and seemed to link up well with Clarke, he was unlucky not to score against Gillingham maybe if he was to get one a few more would follow.

I wonder whether his lack of goals is a confidence thing as well, but he doesn't seem to get in many scoring positions either, although some of this is probably due to his link-up play with Clarke.

I gave him a "yes" because yes, I am extremely frustrated at times because of his lack of goals but you can't deny that he is still the best option we have to go up front alongside Leon at the moment, given that Tilly seems determined not to give Foran an extended run in the side as a striker. Similarly, the jury is still out on Charlie Mac.

I wonder whether his lack of goals is a confidence thing as well, but he doesn't seem to get in many scoring positions either, although some of this is probably due to his link-up play with Clarke.

He's pulls defenders all over the place creating space, but I think he needs to be a bit more aggresive when the ball is crossed into the box and take a few more chances.

I gave him a "yes" because yes, I am extremely frustrated at times because of his lack of goals but you can't deny that he is still the best option we have to go up front alongside Leon at the moment, given that Tilly seems determined not to give Foran an extended run in the side as a striker. Similarly, the jury is still out on Charlie Mac.

He hasn't really played enough though, I like the look of him though. But thats another thread.

Im really not a huge fan of Harrold as i dont think he brings enough to the team. Doesnt win too many headers for a target man (one of the reasons he was signed i seem to recall), cant seem to keep up on counter attacks and doesnt really hit the penalty box with any real conviction.
Saying that though he did manage to stay on-side in Northampton which Hooper and Clarke couldnt manage between them and had a couple of half decent chances he created for himself (albeit against a team pushing for an equaliser).

Im very pleased with myself - i didnt call him ginger once.

His work rate and his movement off the ball is very good, he gives 100% for the cause which is all you can really ask of any player who wears the blue of SUFC.

The thing I like about him is his unselfish attitude, he always runs his heart out, he's not a glory boy or anything, he actually cares about the team, and he's realistic, he knows he'll never be the best player at Southend but he still works hard for himself and for the team.

But as a striker you need the occassional bit of luck, he needs one to fly in off his backside or tap-in from 3 yards.

All will be forgotten when he scores the vital goals in April/May that take us back to the Championship.

Faith not fear.

Moe.

good young footballer -

i have come to the conclusion that some football supporters are really deeply unhappy people who come to the ground to wail and moan and groan cos their life is ****e and if a footballer makes a mistake they can scream abuse at him and this makes them feel better -

there was a really good picture of hoim in one of the OS galleries competeing for a high ball - and shows what his game is all about -

some people who know nothing about football will always knock forwards who don't score a lot of goals but thats cos they don't know anything about football -

so its the supporters fault that harrold hasn't scored a competitive goal for a year then?

He is cack and we should sell him and Foran in the jan transfer window and buy a decent targetman and a pacy striker.

Back