• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

buffalowolf

Director
Once upon a time English referees were looked upon as being the best in the world, but what i witnessed last night, i watched the SUFC - Burton game live via stream, and right from the kickoff the ref showed bias toward Burton, no this is not bad eggs becoz SUFC didnt get to the final, My assertions are based on what the commentators said during the game, the first 3 tackles EGan laid he was penalised for and on each occassion the commentators said the referee had got it wrong.now what does this do for Egans frame of mind, he knew his tackles were fair ,you could see him wondering what he did wrong,he even asked the question to the ref.how many free kicks did SUFC get in dangerous positions compared to Burton, also that free leading to Burtons 2nd goal , i always thought the first foul should be given .Anyway rant over , but if thats the standard of English referees then i feel sorry for the game over ther.As it was it was a game played with great passion by both sides,even though i didnt agree with Burtons time wasting tactics and acting.And the SUFC supporters were fantastic.

Trust me it is even worse in Asia at pro level. It's almost a non-contact sport out here. I think almost every one of our 90-91 squad would have been red carded with today's standards. Perhaps I'm just old but today's prima-donna, money is everything game is unrecognisable from that pre creation of the Premier League. Some of it has changed for the better. Stadiums have come a long way (ours to come ha ha), but the game itself is fast losing its edge. It won't be long before instant replays, time outs and no draw results ie penalties will find their way into the game.

I live in Australia ,yeah the referees here are sub standard ,but not as biased as the one i saw last night, the game is changing not always for the best i may add, I hate cheats in any sport but what i witnessed out there not just the ref but a few Burton players feigning head injuries etc ,to me thats cheating needs to be stamped out

Not because we lost, I can accept losing for footballing reasons, but the referees performance yesterday was in my opinion the most inept that I have seen.

He failed to be balanced in his decisions, indecisive and got drawn in by Burton's game plan.

Why better quality referees are not appointed to all games that have such high financial implications relaying on the result is beyond me.

I have to say that I thought the standard of the referring over the two legs was abysmal. Having the games on TV certainly showed the standards. I would like to think that in important games like these there should have been a higher standard of referring.
I was particularly annoyed after Burton's 2nd goal - all the players were back and waiting to kick off and the ref was slowly walking back to the centre. Just about summed it up for me

There are no premier league games so why aren't the prem refs down for the playoffs?!

Should definitely be higher level refs for this type of game, and the FL need to look into this feigning head injury stuff. Retrospective fines for clubs found to practice this kind of behaviour, might curb it a little, and it's fairly easily proved with the amount of recorded footage that's around these days.

Back