• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperjon

President
Got to the ground early today and Adam Barrett was hanging around the tunnel area in his tracksuit and trainers. I asked if he was involved today and he said he wasn't. We got chatting more and the guy is guinely gutted he Is not involved more. He Can't understand why he was brought to the club just to sit in the stands. It's his last season of playing and could be playing elsewhere rather than what's going on. He didn't appear keen on brown and said that he doesn't really talk to the players about why they have been dropped or reasons why they are not playing. Barrett said he is fully fit and didn't miss a game before Christmas. He loves the club and wants to be involved in another promotion. Quite sad talking to someone with so much passion for the club but being treated so poorly by brown. My Bruce in law then approached brown and asked him why Barrett isn't at least on the bench? Brown said we have 6 centre backs at the club and so Barrett will have to wait his turn! For what it's worth I thought Prosser and Thompson were good again today, but still think the Barrett signing was a bit odd if what we heard today is true, and it did come from barrett himself!

When he was signed we were lacking experience at the back and struggling.

He may have been fit before Christmas but when he signed he did get injured.

Unfortunately when he played we conceded 4 so theres little to justify him being in the side at the moment.

When he was signed we were lacking experience at the back and struggling.

He may have been fit before Christmas but when he signed he did get injured.

Unfortunately when he played we conceded 4 so theres little to justify him being in the side at the moment.

i agree with some of that, but many and me included thought Barrett played well. Bentley was at fault for the first goal, Leonard for the second, Bolger for the third and Coker the fourth. Think prosser and Thompson have done very well recently, just think it was interesting what Barrett said about browns man management. Not the first player to treated this way either.

Got to the ground early today and Adam Barrett was hanging around the tunnel area in his tracksuit and trainers. I asked if he was involved today and he said he wasn't. We got chatting more and the guy is guinely gutted he Is not involved more. He Can't understand why he was brought to the club just to sit in the stands. It's his last season of playing and could be playing elsewhere rather than what's going on. He didn't appear keen on brown and said that he doesn't really talk to the players about why they have been dropped or reasons why they are not playing. Barrett said he is fully fit and didn't miss a game before Christmas. He loves the club and wants to be involved in another promotion. Quite sad talking to someone with so much passion for the club but being treated so poorly by brown. My Bruce in law then approached brown and asked him why Barrett isn't at least on the bench? Brown said we have 6 centre backs at the club and so Barrett will have to wait his turn! For what it's worth I thought Prosser and Thompson were good again today, but still think the Barrett signing was a bit odd if what we heard today is true, and it did come from barrett himself!
we have a winning pairing at present, that for the most don't concede that much so it's going to be difficult to change it

Barratt is a has been, he was not up to much when he left us after some good times. Sad but it happens, does Barratt seriously think he is good enough for Southend's present set up. He will be remembered for past glories with us but poor show if it is true what he allegedly said about Phil Brown, and the last thing we need is a bitter ageing player moaning about the manager.
Players need to man up and help get us promoted. Barratt has never been match fit since he returned.

Barratt is a has been, he was not up to much when he left us after some good times. Sad but it happens, does Barratt seriously think he is good enough for Southend's present set up. He will be remembered for past glories with us but poor show if it is true what he allegedly said about Phil Brown, and the last thing we need is a bitter ageing player moaning about the manager.
Players need to man up and help get us promoted. Barratt has never been match fit since he returned.

How much would Barratt have needed to have done for the club for you not to refer to him as an ageing has-been? We don't really know what he has to offer as we're not seeing him play but better a "has-been" then a never will be. Shaun Goater and Spencer Prior did a great job for us in their final seasons and I don't see why AB couldn't too....

Lets not get sentimental about things ! Barrett joined at a time we was short, he himself then got injured. Being a past "legend" does not and should never guarantee playing ! We are at the business end of the season and for me thommo and Prosser are the best partnership. Sorry but people moan at brown for chopping and changing , so why should he play Barrett if he , quite rightly, thinks others players are better starters.

Barrett may actually hopefully enjoy finishing off the season in a changing room that is promoted, he still can offer loads to the very young players around him.

As much as I am pro-Barrett , I think Brown has by and large picked and stuck with the in form players.
Absolutely no reason to change the CB's right now.

I bet he's really pleased you've put his conversation here!

Why? It was a public conversation, there were plenty of people present. I just felt a bit sorry for the guy. I don't think he or any player deserves to be treated this way. Brown doesn't appear to deal very well with his man management skills, prime example Hull away at Man City. It was that long ago that both Prosser and Thompson had a strop on after having to sit in the stand at Stevenage, now they look the best pairing at the club. Just not sure PB communicates that well with the fringe players that's all.

I don't think anyone has any complaints about Thompson and Prosser being the first choice pairing (other than why it took so long to reunite them), but why the **** is Binnom-Williams ahead of Barrett on the bench?

Binnom-Williams is not our player
He's not experienced at a time when Brown says we need experience
Barrett can cover more positions more convincingly (Binnon-Williams is not a central defender)
Barrett's better in the air and aerial ability becomes more important towards the end of the game when teams get more desperate and direct
Binnom-Williams has been deeply unconvincing

I don't think anyone has any complaints about Thompson and Prosser being the first choice pairing (other than why it took so long to reunite them), but why the **** is Binnom-Williams ahead of Barrett on the bench?

Barrett can cover more positions more convincingly (Binnon-Williams is not a central defender)
Barrett's better in the air and aerial ability becomes more important towards the end of the game when teams get more desperate and direct

He was at Oxford and Pompey. Would Barrett be better cover at left back?. Any way if your sub as a CB, same as a keeper, normally only because of injury will you be required.

Should the manager be the players pal? As a supporter, I want the manager to field the best side and make sure the players give their best; every match I am sure you could talk to those not on the field or bench and they will feel disgruntled. It is a shame about AB, but he should be looking at the bigger picture.

...yet.

It's possible he will be here next season, Barrett wont be.

Why? It was a public conversation, there were plenty of people present. I just felt a bit sorry for the guy. I don't think he or any player deserves to be treated this way. Brown doesn't appear to deal very well with his man management skills, prime example Hull away at Man City. It was that long ago that both Prosser and Thompson had a strop on after having to sit in the stand at Stevenage, now they look the best pairing at the club. Just not sure PB communicates that well with the fringe players that's all.
He is a manager..he has to pick 11 players..unfortunately players get left out. thats football! Football is a tough industry, so yeah he might wanna play but they all do. Brown is not obliged to explain his every decision to the players.

thomo and prosser are our best cbs we have been saying this for a long time hence when one is out and fit we all ask why
I rate ab more then bw or bolger he is worth a spot on the bench

If explaining things to a fringe player helps them, motivates them, keeps them at their best etc then it's the right thing to do. Anyone that manages staff knows that the best form of management is to adjust your style to get the best out of each individual. Brown may/may not be doing this, I have no idea. Maybe he thinks this is the best way to get the best out of Barrett.

I am not a PB fan and I have no knowledge of his man management. I do however feel that AB was very unprofessional if he made the alleged comments. They are at best undermining and should have been an issue kept in-house.

Back