• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How much would Barratt have needed to have done for the club for you not to refer to him as an ageing has-been? We don't really know what he has to offer as we're not seeing him play but better a "has-been" then a never will be. Shaun Goater and Spencer Prior did a great job for us in their final seasons and I don't see why AB couldn't too....
We are not seeing him play because he is finished, on his last season, obviously on last legs, not an insult to be a has been, more a fact.The goat and Spinner remained fit and finished well. Barratt was gasping for air in the warm up at Stevenage, because he is ageing and in his last season. Good things always end eventually. Hope he is not bitter and blaming Brown for his demise

We are not seeing him play because he is finished, on his last season, obviously on last legs, not an insult to be a has been, more a fact.The goat and Spinner remained fit and finished well. Barratt was gasping for air in the warm up at Stevenage, because he is ageing and in his last season. Good things always end eventually. Hope he is not bitter and blaming Brown for his demise

I think that's a little unfair, he had a Man of the Match performance for the Dons against Liverpool THIS SEASON. Sad for him, but hope he doesn't feel he's being treated unfairly. Southend legend always, don't let things end with bitterness.

I fully accept we don't change a winning team, but what I would ask is who is at fault for some very basic errors leading to goals?

Yesterday we let in yet another goal at the back post, we did late last week. They nearly scored another that way too. My worry is we do look like conceding goals & rely on last ditch defending to escape this. I just hope that AB can at least get on the bench soon.

I fully accept we don't change a winning team, but what I would ask is who is at fault for some very basic errors leading to goals?

Yesterday we let in yet another goal at the back post, we did late last week. They nearly scored another that way too. My worry is we do look like conceding goals & rely on last ditch defending to escape this. I just hope that AB can at least get on the bench soon.
A regular question, and no easy answer, midfielders and defenders should be stopping crosses at source, defenders should be first to the ball, keeper should come out and command. This applies at every level of football. All teams concede goals, I would say it was a good cross and a good goal that we would have been happy to score. Sometimes one is to blame, sometimes many are to blame, this is football at League 2 level. Barratt was on the pitch at Stevenage and made little difference to that score.

While I recognise the best man to pick the team is obviously the manager I am sad that it looks likely Barrett's career will end like this. Do Prosser or Thompson deserve to be dropped? No they don't. Still sad though. I guess he really regrets coming back.

Perhaps in retrospect AB wishes he had finished his career playing for AFC Wimbledon where he had been virtually ever present this season. They wanted to keep him but obviously he wanted to end his career back at Southend, where surely he must have thought he would be involved regularly again also.

AB is one of my all time favourite players and I hate to see his career just peter out like this but we are winning and nobody can argue with that. In addition, Prosser and Thompson do look solid and there is no reason to drop them, least of all for sentimental reasons. Sentiment will not take us up to L1 and let's not be blinded by that. I do think that AB should be on the bench in front of Binnom Williams having said that.

Probably the last time Barrett will talk to anyone by the tunnel!!

Last edited:
A regular question, and no easy answer, midfielders and defenders should be stopping crosses at source, defenders should be first to the ball, keeper should come out and command. This applies at every level of football. All teams concede goals, I would say it was a good cross and a good goal that we would have been happy to score. Sometimes one is to blame, sometimes many are to blame, this is football at League 2 level. Barratt was on the pitch at Stevenage and made little difference to that score.

Yesterday it seemed that Dagenham had done their homework and noticed that we leavethe back post unguarded a lot.

Probably the last time Barrett will talk to anyone in a car park!!

Wasnt in the at park, it was by the tunnel when the players were warming up, he was talking with lots of fans. He wasn't suggesting he should be in the team ahead of anyone, just that he is fit and would rather be playing than not and that he could have stayed at Wimbledon and got game time as he had been an ever present for them. Think people should be able to understand his frustration, he loves the club and wants to be a part of the success that we all hope we get this season. For people to say he is past it or a has been is utterly disrespectful. Didn't look past it against us earlier in the season or against Liverpool did he????

Probably the last time Barrett will talk to anyone in a car park!!

Think any player would be upset if they read this thread.

Have been lucky enough to sit close to the squad players on some match days this season. Guess the player who always had a smile and was the most relaxed chatting to fans....AB certainly never moaned to me when I had chat.

This whole thread may have started in his defence, but now the player manger relationship has been stirred up. Hope he doesn't decide to keep his distance, that would be a real shame.

Wasnt in the at park, it was by the tunnel when the players were warming up, he was talking with lots of fans. He wasn't suggesting he should be in the team ahead of anyone, just that he is fit and would rather be playing than not and that he could have stayed at Wimbledon and got game time as he had been an ever present for them. Think people should be able to understand his frustration, he loves the club and wants to be a part of the success that we all hope we get this season. For people to say he is past it or a has been is utterly disrespectful. Didn't look past it against us earlier in the season or against Liverpool did he????

Very true. He had a great game v Liverpool and looked class. I really wish Brown had not signed AB now as this tarnishes the end of his career as far as I am concerned. Why not loan him out for a month and see how that pans out? He is obviously not wanted here seemingly.

While I recognise the best man to pick the team is obviously the manager I am sad that it looks likely Barrett's career will end like this. Do Prosser or Thompson deserve to be dropped? No they don't. Still sad though. I guess he really regrets coming back.

Why ? Unless he was guaranteed first team action, regardless, why should we pity him ? He made a decision to come , for him personally it's not worked , so far, but who cares ?? I care about promotion end of, as per my earlier message, sentiment to me in football means zero !

Adam Barrett is still being paid. He still gets to do something he loves every day (apart from match days at the moment haha) and he still may have a part to play !

Love Adam Barrett , but love Southend more and because of the latter, thommo and Prosser are right for us and these aspirations at this time !!

Why ? Unless he was guaranteed first team action, regardless, why should we pity him ? He made a decision to come , for him personally it's not worked , so far, but who cares ?? I care about promotion end of, as per my earlier message, sentiment to me in football means zero !

Adam Barrett is still being paid. He still gets to do something he loves every day (apart from match days at the moment haha) and he still may have a part to play !

Love Adam Barrett , but love Southend more and because of the latter, thommo and Prosser are right for us and these aspirations at this time !!

Hard to disagree with any of the points you make there TTS. 100% bang on the button.

Feel for Adam, he no doubt would have played at Oxford but unfortunately was injured. I had always wanted to see Thompson and Prosser as our centre back pairing so I have no complaints, other than why on earth did it take our esteemed manager so long to play them together ?

Corrected the location, comment stands.

Daft signing. We have more centre halves than midfielders - I think - either way it's a silly number. Equally I don't know why JBW hasn't been sent back. Not complaining given our form, but if I was chairman is have made him trim it.

well said. What do people expect him to say 'I love not being picked , and not even making the bench is brilliant'.

I am guessing that he thought it had all come together , he gets the Liverpool game and plays VERY well. he then gets an opportunity to 'come home' for his last season with the club in with a real shout of promotion. Everything must have looked brilliant just a few weeks ago, what a way to finish your career . Unfortunately it just hasn't gone to plan from his perspective

He's 35 not 45 and put in a man of the match performance a couple of months back against Liverpool. You have to love these experts from the stands who make it up as they go along.....

He was unlucky to be injured when he signed, otherwise Im sure he wouldve played more. Weve been playign pretty well without him, but agree with YB he should be on the bench ahead of Binnion.

Back