• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

jaffa1

Manager
Spent the afternoon at Portabello market, ignoring the antiques etc I was naturally drawn to a couple of pubs and the book and vinyl stalls. I picked up a couple of Charlie Buchan magazines, one which featured goalkeeper Lawrie Leslie on the cover. He was the first Blues goalkeeper I ever saw, but he was playing for Stoke at the time (1965). I was always convinced that we signed him from West Ham - or am I geting him confused with Trevor Roberts ?

Lawrie Leslie was signed from Millwall. He did have a spell with West Ham but that was earlier. I think we got Roberts from Liverpool but I'm not sure.

Lawrie Leslie was signed from Millwall. He did have a spell with West Ham but that was earlier. I think we got Roberts from Liverpool but I'm not sure.

Yes, he was a youth player at Liverpool whilst reading Geography at Liverpool University. We were his first professional club.

I thought he played for Wrexham (but my mind might be playing tricks) he was a nice bloke though.

Think we signed Lawrie Leslie in 1969, when Trevor Roberts was still at the club (he taught part time at Belfairs High when i was there between 1968-69).
Met Laurie Leslie in the Half Moon pub in Rayleigh, one saturday night in 1973. Had several beers with him (he was alone) and he talked about his career. Nice and interesting guy.

Think we signed Lawrie Leslie in 1969, when Trevor Roberts was still at the club (he taught part time at Belfairs High when i was there between 1968-69).
Met Laurie Leslie in the Half Moon pub in Rayleigh, one saturday night in 1973. Had several beers with him (he was alone) and he talked about his career. Nice and interesting guy.

He hardly played for us. Just 13 League games ..... just long enough to pick up one of his famous fractures!

He was one of the team which achieved the incredible 6-1 away win in the League Cup at Bournemouth but he didn't feature in most of the other key games in that remarkable, albeit ultimately unsuccessful, 1968-69 season.

Was injured in an altercation at Blenheim Park.Was thumped by one of the local yobbos.Affected his vision from thereon,and didn't play much after that. Trevor Roberts was an above average goalkeeper,one of the best in my opinion.Transferred to Wrexham with four other Blues players.Died from cancer soon after retiring from the game.

During my West Ham supporting days, I recall he broke his finger and ended up playing on the wing for the rest of the game (I.e. before subs were allowed).

He hardly played for us. Just 13 League games ..... just long enough to pick up one of his famous fractures!

He was one of the team which achieved the incredible 6-1 away win in the League Cup at Bournemouth but he didn't feature in most of the other key games in that remarkable, albeit ultimately unsuccessful, 1968-69 season.

Yes I saw that game and quite a few others that season too.

Didn't he used to be the manager of the Foresters seafront pub for a while in the 70's too?

Trevor Roberts also taught at Timberlog Secondary Modern in Basildon. He played for Cambridge United after he left us.

Was injured in an altercation at Blenheim Park.Was thumped by one of the local yobbos.Affected his vision from thereon,and didn't play much after that. Trevor Roberts was an above average goalkeeper,one of the best in my opinion.Transferred to Wrexham with four other Blues players.Died from cancer soon after retiring from the game.
I can find no record of Trevor Roberts having played for Wrexham. He moved to Cambridge United when he left us according to his playing record on Wikipedia. His successor as Blues goalkeeper, the very unpopular Brian Lloyd, did move to Wrexham, however.

Don Mackay was injured in Blenheim Park . Trevor Roberts went to Cambridge United .

Back